Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
Apple TV+ should have its own application and what has rolled out is simply a half-assed add-on to existing TV app.

I have noticed that the shows get kind of lost among any movies you own from iTunes and or any movies being promoted.

If this is to compete with other stream options it should have respectable app.

Excuse my rant.

Apple software has just been one disappointment after another recently.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Sorry. They want you buying the promoted shows and movies you don’t own. The tv app is a Store app first. Selling you services > viewing your paid content.

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
Apple TV+ should have its own application and what has rolled out is simply a half-assed add-on to existing TV app.

I have noticed that the shows get kind of lost among any movies you own from iTunes and or any movies being promoted.

Excuse my rant.

I completely agree. I feel like some of my friends are having a hard time navigating the app to find the AppleTV+ content. Let alone explaining to my mother how to find a show.

People want to open an app and it be there front and centre. Not ten rows down at the bottom somewhere.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
There isn't even a clearly defined subsection of TV+ shows I could find in the TV app itself

You mean like this? Just scroll down a bit to the Channels section of the Watch Now screen:
screen-shot-2019-11-02-at-18-12-56-png.874917

[automerge]1572882650[/automerge]
I disagree. I don't want yet another app to download and use. I like being able to subscribe to the Channels directly in the TV app. That's not to say that Apple can't do a better job naming things. "Apple TV the streaming device, "Apple TV" the app and "Apple TV+" the streaming service are confusing if you've not used the app.

For those of us who have been using the app, though, the Apple TV+ Channel makes sense. I use the TV app for all of my video on demand viewing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 18.12.56.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 18.12.56.png
    357 KB · Views: 919
Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I also agree... we all here at Macrumors have long known about AppleTV+ but for many people they won't clearly understand the service and that it is like "Netflix" if the content is buried in an app they have had for many years and contains content from tons of other apps. I think this would be very confusing to my parents etc. who seem to manage Netflix ok.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I just want Up Next to function properly without randomly dropping shows off the list or not adding next episodes. I previously thought this was a tvOS 13 issue but I’ve since realised it’s also happening to iPad.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I disagree. I don't want yet another app to download and use. I like being able to subscribe to the Channels directly in the TV app. That's not to say that Apple can't do a better job naming things. "Apple TV the streaming device, "Apple TV" the app and "Apple TV+" the streaming service are confusing if you've not used the app.

For those of us who have been using the app, though, the Apple TV+ Channel makes sense. I use the TV app for all of my video on demand viewing.

No one says you'd have to download and use it if you can still get to it in the TV App.

I don't at all use the Arcade App and put way at the bottom.

I would like just an AppleTV+ App - it seems to take forever to access the channel after scrolling through all the other junk...

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Granted this is for iPhone, but there does seem to be a URL scheme to hit to get directly to the shows - MacStories had a good article on it:

PJ.

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
No one says you'd have to download and use it if you can still get to it in the TV App.

I don't at all use the Arcade App and put way at the bottom.

I would like just an AppleTV+ App - it seems to take forever to access the channel after scrolling through all the other junk...

Arcade app?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I like that everything is in one app, but I'd like an option to suppress any content on the main page that I don't own and am not subscribed to (in other words, turn off the advertising). I get that some people like to "discover" stuff, but I usually know what I want to watch and don't like the clutter.

Reactions: Arran and Neonblue

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
I like that everything is in one app, but I'd like an option to suppress any content on the main page that I don't own and am not subscribed to (in other words, turn off the advertising). I get that some people like to "discover" stuff, but I usually know what I want to watch and don't like the clutter.
Yeah that would be nice but then they couldn’t make money out of us!

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Sorry apple’s need to increase their service revenue trumps any usability or customer experience that you may have counted on Apple providing you in the past. Just buy a sub and make Tim happy.

dorkimoe

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2019
They are treating it like iTunes and thats not a good thing. Really needs some work to it. Hopefully we dont have to wait for a freaking conference to get an update.

Yearly updates that include "we added a menu for our shows...see you next year'

Vin2015

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2015
Completely agree. I know they run the banner in the middle of the Apple app on my unit, but I would live for it to be it’s own thing, so I could quickly just click on it and sort Through the original content.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Excuse my rant.

I’ll suggest 2 main Tabs that divide the App in half. Apple are you listening?Or maybe 3 tabs one of them for your content. ;)

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I’ll suggest 2 main Tabs that divide the App in half. Apple are you listening?Or maybe 3 tabs one of them for your content. ;)

Um, there is a Library tab that lists all of your iTunes Store purchased content.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I noticed Apple decided not to carry over the user reviews feature that existed on iTunes to the new Apple TV app. Two thumbs down to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.