Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
One, it would just highlight the lack of ATV+ content. Two, Apple probably wants/expects to make more money off of their cut of other subscriptions (aka channels) so they don’t want that in a separate app.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I also agree... we all here at Macrumors have long known about AppleTV+ but for many people they won't clearly understand the service and that it is like "Netflix" if the content is buried in an app they have had for many years and contains content from tons of other apps. I think this would be very confusing to my parents etc. who seem to manage Netflix ok.

AppleTV+ is not like Netflix. AppleTV+ is a subscription to a selection of TV shows curated and produced by Apple. It’s more like HBO. Netflix is a movie and tv service with a vast majority of third party licensed content.

I like the TV app as it is. An aggregator of all TV and movie content in one app. I add my favourite shows from all platforms to my Up Next list and they show up at the top in this one app.

AppleTV+ content is found in its Channel like any other channel. If anything, maybe it would be useful to have a quickly accessible tab/menu with all the channels, including AppleTV+ but I wouldn’t want any more apps.
834A34CE-9F90-41D2-8F39-E85D7DCC87F8.png

827AC236-A36A-4A33-8E7E-7BA23A0580FC.png

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Yes....
1000% agreed. The naming is a disaster. The usability of the software/hardware has also degenerated lately (Siri remote? Ugh) It’s a shame because I really loved the early versions of the AppleTV hardware.

I’m over it now. I cancelled my free 1-year subscription and have deleted the app from all devices. I’d like to delete it from the Apple TV hardware too, and disable* the TV button on the remote, but there doesn’t seem to be a way.

As a confused consumer, I don’t even want to call a helpline for assistance. Neither of us would know what incarnation of “Apple TV” the other was talking about! Not worth the hassle. (Never thought I’d say that about Apple)

* Update: The TV button can be changed back to "Home" under; Settings > Remotes and Devices. I wish it would stay put!

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
1000% agreed. The naming is a disaster. The usability of the software/hardware has also degenerated lately (Siri remote? Ugh) It’s a shame because I really loved the early versions of the AppleTV hardware.

I’m over it now. I cancelled my free 1-year subscription and have deleted the app from all devices. I’d like to delete it from the Apple TV hardware too, and disable* the TV button on the remote, but there doesn’t seem to be a way.

As a confused consumer, I don’t even want to call a helpline for assistance. Neither of us would know what incarnation of “Apple TV” the other was talking about! Not worth the hassle. (Never thought I’d say that about Apple)

* Update: The TV button can be changed back to "Home" under; Settings > Remotes and Devices. I wish it would stay put!

Hmm.. somehow I don’t think it’s that confusing, especially for those of us who’s in this ”Apple” forum. But that might be because I have never called the app Apple TV and Apple TV+. It’s only TV and TV+ for me so the full Apple TV is only reserved for the hardware. (And I’d hazard a guess that Apple tech support would understand me perfectly)
I‘m not sure why this Curtis guy would try to make his life unnecessarily hard for himself.

Last edited:

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
...I have never called the app Apple TV and Apple TV+. It’s only TV and TV+ for me so the full Apple TV is only reserved for the hardware.

Same for me. I generally only call the hardware the "Apple TV." The app is always "the TV app" and the channel is always "the TV+ Channel." I think it helps avoid confusion.

Reactions: matrix07

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
Incidentally the Amazon Prime Video App behaves the same way. Prime content (free with Prime membership) is mixed with other paid content.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
I have enough app clutter already. I like how it's integrated into the TV app. If Netflix was in the TV app I'd spend most of my browsing time there.

jasg49

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Um, there is a Library tab that lists all of your iTunes Store purchased content.
I bought Apple TV+ shows from Apple but it is not under the Library tab...

Why limit the Library? Rather than burying Channels way down in the Watch Now tab, why not include all subscriptions and 'Connected Apps', regardless of where you bought them, in the Library?

Clearly separated 'Things I own/subscribe' from 'Things I can rent/buy' would make the TV App something I would use constantly. As it is, I only open it to watch a TV+ show.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I'm gonna have to disagree here. It's super easy to differentiate content between the two channels I subscribe too (HBO and ATV+). If I want to see everything ATV+ has to offer it's easy to just click on the channel.

If anything, the channels could be moved to a more prominent area of the screen but I absolutely don't need a separate app.

Last edited:
Reactions: mallbritton

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
I completely agree.

I went to go look for shows yesterday, and it was lost in all the other content.

There isn't even a clearly defined subsection of TV+ shows I could find in the TV app itself

This.

If I’m ever thinking of subscribing to Apple TV+ it has to have its own app. Stuff I’ve bought from the iTunes Store just gets in the way.

I actually struggled to find the TV+ shows at the beginning and you shouldn’t have to. Not when it’s a new service you’re heavily pushing to users with a years free service no less.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The fact that this thread is still on-going reaffirms the difficulty of quickly access Apple TV+ contents.

The way I would prefer the problem solved is "Channels and Apps" banner underneath "Up Next" banner, that lists all the installed video streaming apps and subscribed channels.

jasg49

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
I have removed the Apple TV app from the top shelf and replaced it with WatchAid. Now all my subscriptions show up in one place. DW is much happier.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Amazon Prime Video more or less suffers from the similar issue. In general, people don't want to see contents they have to purchase or pay extra.

Given Apple TV+'s limited catalog, Apple probably doesn't want to emphasize the fact by showing only Apple TV+ contents. A better compromise might be adding a filter or setting that shows only subscribed/free contents -- whether it be Apple TV+, Apple TV Channels, purchased/rented iTunes, and subscribed third party services.

Reactions: niteflyr

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Since I'm familiar with the old Amazon Instant Video/Prime Video interface the Apple TV app interface is just fine and familiar to me and I quite like its integration with Hulu and various other services. Saves clutter on the main screen and I often just leave the TV app open all the time. I also appreciate the lack of 30-60 second adverts before content plays advertising the original shows. Amazon Prime was horrible about that. Try to start an episode of Babylon 5 to be greeted with an unskippable advert for The Expanse, all while paying $15 a month for Prime.

That said, I wish Netflix would become supported in the TV app soon. I always have to go to Netflix separately and I despise the autoplay videos (which I've blocked at the router level but it causes 'Problem loading content' errors while browsing if I don't go to search quickly enough)

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
That said, I wish Netflix would become supported in the TV app soon. I always have to go to Netflix separately and I despise the autoplay videos (which I've blocked at the router level but it causes 'Problem loading content' errors while browsing if I don't go to search quickly enough)

It's up to Netflix as to whether they want to integrate with the TV app or not. For the moment, they seem to believe they don't need it. But if enough Apple TV users contact them, perhaps that can change.

As to the autoplay trailers, you might like this: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/disable-autoplaying-trailers-in-netflix/.

Be aware, though, this does NOT disable the autoplay trailers for Netflix' content which I find completely irritating.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I don't want to update the app to get that feature. I can live without the 'couldn't load content' errors as they're merely annoying. I just won't get burned by another update I can't undo like when iOS 7 ruined the iPhone/iPad experience for me years ago. No more.

I always just default to the search anyway since the UI of Netflix is a huge mess. Can't even access 'my watchlist' since it's always buried 50+ menus down or up. Keeps changing position. I resisted with the ancient version on my Wii for a long time then it died so I'm stuck with whatever mess that app is now, hoping for ATV integration.

Actarus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Android, Android TV and Chromecast are also mandatory in this competitive market. If Apple thinks that they will sell more Apple TV's just to watch ATV+ they're completely wrong, there are other services that offer a better catalog and more devices to be used. I know they want to fight google but I'm afraid this is not the best way.

Last edited:

Fugabutacus

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I don't feel like it's really all that difficult to find Apple TV+, it's the second most prominent bit of content on the homepage, nor is it really that hard to see what you have or haven't paid for, click it and it will either say "play" or "buy." Simple enough.

I would however replaced that big Apple TV+ banner with a simple list of channels if I were Apple. And while they're at it, they need to get rid of video apps and make Channels the only way to deliver TV and movies. It's too confusing having two different methods, and Netflix is a huge pain when it doesn't integrate with Up Next. Apple should get HBO and Disney+ onboard as channels then tell Netflix to join or get out.

And the naming is confusing, too, I can see how someone would get confused that Apple TV, Apple TV and Apple TV+ are different things. They should do something about that.

But my biggest bugbear is this:

Apple TV = Apple's TV app
Apple TV+ = Apple's TV service

Apple News = Apple's news app
Apple News+ = Apple's news service

Music = Apple's music app
Apple Music = Apple's music service

Too late to rebrand now but it really should be Apple Music+ and they ought to get rid of the iTunes name entirely and replace it with the "Apple Music store," and "Apple TV store."
[automerge]1583704397[/automerge]

Last edited:

reserves

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Read all the posts and came here just to say.

It’s an absolute mess, naming and layout.

I don’t want to see films to buy when I already have Prime, Disney, Netflix and eTry Apple TV / + thing. It’s cluttered and completely confusing, proven by the fact that no one in our house gravitates to it. Everyone prefers the separate Apps.

It’s a mess just as iTunes was. In my opinion anyone who thinks otherwise has not had enough experience using software and no real understanding of basic UX.

Last edited:

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I hate how it is now, especially here in Norway. Here you cannot buy any TV shows due to rights through Apple TV, so they list all these great shows with links to other providers, that I have no intention of ever signing up to, such as Prime or TV2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.