Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have a Mac Mini hooked up to my TV. When Apple TV+ first launched I watched a few episodes on my Mac Mini through the Apple TV app. Everyone was cool.

Then suddenly today I got issues with black colors turning green. Oddly enough, it only happens when I view the video in full screen and as soon as the cursor goes away. The black borders on the screen turns green, and sometimes the entire screen also turns green. Other times it’s only the black objects on screen that are green.

It comes in flashes but it’s super often. Maybe once every 3 seconds or something.

I tried rebooting but no luck. What can suddenly be causing this?

I went to another app and watched some good full screen TV in there with no issues instead, so it seems to be an issue with Apple TV app

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I went to another app and watched some good full screen TV in there with no issues instead, so it seems to be an issue with Apple TV app

Was it an HDCP protected app? Whilst some things sound weird based on this theory, I still think this might be a copyright protection issue. Perhaps your cable isn't transmitting HDCP properly

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Was it an HDCP protected app? Whilst some things sound weird based on this theory, I still think this might be a copyright protection issue. Perhaps your cable isn't transmitting HDCP properly

I misspoke when I said another app. I went to Netflix.com to watch a show, which worked fine.

I’m not familiar with HDCP, but would that be the issue if the Apple TV app worked fine the first 3 times I used it? It’s only yesterday (when I went to use it for the 4th time) that it started acting odd

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I’m not familiar with HDCP, but would that be the issue if the Apple TV app worked fine the first 3 times I used it? It’s only yesterday (when I went to use it for the 4th time) that it started acting odd

Could've been if th cable had been bent a bit or something, but given Netflixed worked, that ain't it.

Reactions: felixen

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
It’s so strange. And quite annoying. I wonder if it’s because the Apple TV app tries to force the show to play in 4K while my Mac Mini can only do 1080p or something like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.