Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple earlier this year renewed Apple TV+ show "Dickinson" for a new season, and now casting for new roles has begun ahead of filming.

According to Variety, Finn Jones and Pico Alexander will be in the second season of the show.

dickinsoncast-800x450.jpg
Image credit: Rex/Shutterstock via Variety​

"Dickinson," for those unfamiliar with the series, stars Hailee Steinfeld as famous American poet Emily Dickinson. The show explores the constraints of society, gender, and family from Dickinson's perspective, and the first season received largely positive reviews.

Jones will play the role of Samuel Bowles, a newspaper editor who was a close friend to Dickinson, and the two corresponded often. There has been speculation that Bowles was a romantic interest that Dickinson referenced in some of her poetry, though this is unconfirmed.

Jones is best known for playing Loras Tyrell in the early seasons of "Game of Thrones," and he also starred in Netflix Marvel series "Iron Fist."

Alexander will play Henry "Ship" Shipley, an Amherst College dropout and a boarder with the Dickinsons. Alexander is known for his role in Hulu series "Catch-22," and he has also appeared in films that include "A Most Violent Year" and "War Machine."

Along with these new cast members, season 2 will also feature much of the cast from season 1, including Steinfeld as Dickinson and Jane Krakowski as Dickinson's mother.

There is no word on when "Dickinson" season 2 will premiere, but it could be released somewhere around a year after the first season, which would put its launch in the fall of 2020.

Update: Upcoming Apple TV+ Show "Lisey's Story" has also cast Sung Kang in the role of officer Dan Beckman, a police officer assigned to watch over Lisey's house.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Show 'Dickinson' Gains New Cast Members for Season 2

Last edited:
Reactions: 15ngcs1

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
"Dickinson," for those unfamiliar with the series,…

I would think that the number of people who didn’t know about the show but reading this article about new actors for season 2 would be very, very small.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
Anybody get into this show? I just couldn’t.
I loved it! Before I started watching, I had my doubts based some reviews but immediately after watching the first episode, I was hooked and plowed through about 5-6 episodes before turning in for the night.
I like the modern day spin they infused into the period piece as @Jim Lahey put it and I too am looking forward to season 2.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Haven’t watched it yet, plan to over Christmas. Thing is, is the conceit on which this series is based have enough puff in it for a second series? Or does it risk jumping the shark?

or should resources have gone to a new idea? The untold shenanigans of Benny Franklin perhaps?

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005

Apple shows weren’t very good.
See was just dreadful.

apple funded shows with big actors, but forgot that writers and directing are more important.

Tim should stick to making dongles, and making key boards right.

Tim - worst ceo ever! Apple TV service will merge with someone else as it’s own content sucks and will die.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
See was just dreadful.

apple funded shows with big actors, but forgot that writers and directing are more important.

Tim - worst ceo ever! Apple TV service will merge with someone else as it’s own content sucks and will die.
I just replaced ‘Apple’ with Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu etc. and it felt like time travel. Dreadful comment. Worst post ever.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I still think an issue Apple TV+ is that there is nothing to watch but originals. Hulu, Prime Video, Netflix, and Disney+ have plenty of other shows outside of originals. Tired of Jack Ryan on Prime? Watch A Quiet Place. Tired of Stranger Things? Watch The Matrix. I don’t know, maybe all original content works for some.

Reactions: decypher44

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
I still think an issue Apple TV+ is that there is nothing to watch but originals. Hulu, Prime Video, Netflix, and Disney+ have plenty of other shows outside of originals. Tired of Jack Ryan on Prime? Watch A Quiet Place. Tired of Stranger Things? Watch The Matrix. I don’t know, maybe all original content works for some.

as i Watch lot of movies those old stuff really doesn’t work for me. i have had netlifx few months and can’t find any old movie i want to watch from there. Also not interested about their shows either, there’s just way too many choices and the overall quality with their shows just isn't there. I like the simplicity of Apple TV+ so far i’m enjoying their content and it just keep getting better, servant is really good!

Dickinson is also surprisingly good.

yes i want to see new content, who want to watch those old series or movies over and over again?

Also i have invested lot to my TV and home theater so i like the fact that all these shows are 4K and they look and sounds very good!!

Getting 4K for Netflix for example cost lot more extra. I hope after all these new players in the competition Netflix need to give 4K for cheaper price in the future.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ar40 and 15ngcs1

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
See was just dreadful.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if you don't like it, don't watch it. I happen to like the new shows, I haven't watched "See" since I am not into that genre. Cinematography is first class, story lines are better than most of the garbage on TV, and the ability to watch entire episodes without all the pharmaceutical commercials makes the experience enjoyable. Not bad for their first stab at original content. Like I said, if you don't like it, go back to your cable channels with all the commercials.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
I've really enjoyed all the series on ATV+. Hoping during my free year they continue to expand, and if at all possible buy more content. It's very thin relative to other streaming services. If I get a free year everytime I buy a new iPhone I'd be very happy!

Reactions: zinacef and Ar40

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I loved it. Binged it all in 24 hours.

I'm not the target demo either. I'm a male middle-aged Republican.
[automerge]1575764856[/automerge]
Haven’t watched it yet, plan to over Christmas. Thing is, is the conceit on which this series is based have enough puff in it for a second series? Or does it risk jumping the shark?

or should resources have gone to a new idea? The untold shenanigans of Benny Franklin perhaps?
Once you watch it you will understand how multiple seasons makes sense. This could go 5-7 seasons easy. A ton of charisma in the cast and a lot of story to cover.
[automerge]1575764987[/automerge]
See was just dreadful.

Yes. Your opinion sucks. Delete this.
[automerge]1575765048[/automerge]
All 7 Apple TV+ subscribers are excited.
All 1.1 Million (and counting), you mean.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017

I watched it over a week. I enjoyed it. Very detail oriented and both the writing and acting is exquisite. So far the stuff I watched on Apple TV+ really makes it worth the money (yes, I pay for it) and some of these series will become classics many years from now. They really do seem to focus on quality and message. Both "Dickinson" and "For all mankind" are highly inspirational shows.

• Love
Reactions: 15ngcs1 and Ar40

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

Well, Apple TV+ is gonna have quite an uphill battle to fight, sure. But it's also cheaper than most of the services you've listed.

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
Well, Apple TV+ is gonna have quite an uphill battle to fight, sure. But it's also cheaper than most of the services you've listed.

True. And that price is unbeatable at the moment. Netflix on its cheapest plan doesn't even offer HD, not to mention 4K, and even on the most expensive plan it only allows for 4 simultaneous devices to be connected. Amazon Prime isn't much better either. In the UK for example you get practically no 4K content at all, and even on the international plan there is limited amount of 4K content. The thing with Apple TV+ at the moment is that you can pay a subscription for a month or two, watch everything and then unsubscribe and wait until more stuff gets released worth of another month or two of subscription.

• Love

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
True. And that price is unbeatable at the moment. Netflix on its cheapest plan doesn't even offer HD, not to mention 4K, and even on the most expensive plan it only allows for 4 simultaneous devices to be connected. Amazon Prime isn't much better either. In the UK for example you get practically no 4K content at all, and even on the international plan there is limited amount of 4K content. The thing with Apple TV+ at the moment is that you can pay a subscription for a month or two, watch everything and then unsubscribe and wait until more stuff gets released worth of another month or two of subscription.

Disney+ gives out free 4K with their service. The tradeoff is that some people are complaining that they are actually reaching their data caps, and right now there is no way to limit it on device other than not use 4K devices

So I don’t think having 4K is enticing for everyone.

The price is actually more expensive if you factor in how much they are charging per content.

Food for thought

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
Disney+ gives out free 4K with their service. The tradeoff is that some people are complaining that they are actually reaching their data caps, and right now there is no way to limit it on device other than not use 4K devices

So I don’t think having 4K is enticing for everyone.

The price is actually more expensive if you factor in how much they are charging per content.

Food for thought

I can't compare with Disney+, as most of Europe doesn't avail of it yet. Currently I use Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+ and Youtube Premium. Disney+ is an interesting service, once I have access to it, I might reassess my statement, but based on third-party information, I'm still quite torn about Disney+ as I feel it has a lot of content I care very little about, and what I do care about, have already seen. Maybe once their library becomes more exclusive and enticing enough for me to join, I will.

The data-cap is an interesting point. Most Europeans are used to having no data cap on broadband. On 3/4/5G that's another story, but I would not expect many people to attempt watching 4K on mobile connections. Would be interesting to know what countries/carriers still enforce data caps on their broadband.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
You're truly questioning whether anyone likes the show because you don't? WOW. I did not care for GoT, but would never ask what you just did.

The first episode was a bit of a surprise (wasn't what we expected) but we continued watching and were hooked! And, we're definitely not the demographic this was made for. Excited for season 2 but it's a shame it's so far off. It seems to be the new norm...a handful of episodes then wait a year.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.