Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clearlake69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Good morning everyone!
I recently bought an Apple Watch from someone. I went through all steps to make sure it wasn’t a lost or stolen watch. When I tried to activate it through Verizon it wouldn’t work. Verizon said thru couldn’t figure it out. I called Apple and they told me that the watch was still owned by Apple...meaning the sale was not authorized. I asked them if it was stolen? They said we don’t have that information. They said it could have been bought and not registered as an authorized sale. The watch is not locked and it everything works. I would like to use the LTE and they said until I give them the receipt they could not allow it. Has anyone heard of this? I can’t find anything on it. Any help would be much appreciated!

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
So is the watch
a) activation locked - you can not even pair it with your phone or
b) just the cellular function not working with your provider
c) the watch in demo mode and not able to pair with your phone
or
d) the watch is financed and not paid?

All different things.

Regarding a: Activation locked - that's too bad because you won't get that fixed unless you have the original receipt or get the previous owner to delete the watch from his/her account. Doesn't mean it's stolen, some people just sell their watch without doing so and this is where trouble starts.

b) if you have a cellular plan and can't get it working with your watch, check if you have the right version of the watch (US/EU version for example)

c) If the watch is a demo watch, it is actually property of apple and not meant for resale. You probably won't be able to use it like a regular watch.

d) if it is financed and not paid, and probably locked/blacklisted for cellular use, that is usually complicated to resolve.

Clearlake69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
So is the watch
a) activation locked - you can not even pair it with your phone or
b) just the cellular function not working with your provider
c) the watch in demo mode and not able to pair with your phone
or
d) the watch is financed and not paid?

All different things.

Regarding a: Activation locked - that's too bad because you won't get that fixed unless you have the original receipt or get the previous owner to delete the watch from his/her account. Doesn't mean it's stolen, some people just sell their watch without doing so and this is where trouble starts.

b) if you have a cellular plan and can't get it working with your watch, check if you have the right version of the watch (US/EU version for example)

c) If the watch is a demo watch, it is actually property of apple and not meant for resale. You probably won't be able to use it like a regular watch.

d) if it is financed and not paid, and probably locked/blacklisted for cellular use, that is usually complicated to resolve.
I asked about all of those and it wasn’t that. Everything works except the LTE. When I try to activate it it shows an error. The only two things I am thinking it is:

-The person bought it and serial number never got registered through Apple. I had a pair of headphones (Beats) and that happened. I had to show a receipt to get them warrantied.
-It fell off the back of a UPS truck and never made it to an Apple store.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
So what kind of error does it show? You scan the esim code and then you get a specific error?
Can't you get the original receipt from the person you bought it from?

Clearlake69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Yeah can’t get my money back. Which is all good. Sucks but I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to get it activated
[automerge]1575744873[/automerge]

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
If everything but LTE works, sounds like it might be blacklisted. Maybe your carrier can check, and there are online sites that can check I believe.

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
I called Apple and they told me that the watch was still owned by Apple...meaning the sale was not authorized.

I think the person you bought it from owes you some answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.