Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Is there a way to install the Apple Watch App on iPod Touch 5th Gen?

Thanks in advance :)

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Is there a way to install the Apple Watch App on iPod Touch 5th Gen?

Thanks in advance :)
Someone may port it to that as a jailbreak tweak, but haven't heard of anyone doing it.

----------

I don't see how, as it is a part of the device-specific operating system. You'd have to install an iPhone 5c iOS/ipsw on the iPod touch.
I'd love to be wrong though.
You can't do it that way. You would get an installation error since each ipsw is unique to only one device.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I am sure it's possible. Remember when the iPhone had an email app and the iPod Touch didn't? then a tweak enabled it.

Bit weird Apple removed the Apple Watch app from iPads too. Very bizarre! Even the cellular ones.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Apple is losing sales by doing this (admittedly a low amount of sales). Both my kids have iPod touches and they want the watch. iOS would of been an acceptable requirement, but making it specifically iPhones (and ver 5+ at that). Here's to hoping the next iPod rev includes the watch app.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Apple is losing sales by doing this (admittedly a low amount of sales). Both my kids have iPod touches and they want the watch. iOS would of been an acceptable requirement, but making it specifically iPhones (and ver 5+ at that). Here's to hoping the next iPod rev includes the watch app.

I agree. I am perfectly happy with my iPod Touch 5G. Would like an Apple watch. Doesn't work. I have an iPad. Doesn't work with that either.

Stupid decision by Apple. Especially when Pebble does work with those. I guess it means for sales for Pebble!

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I've been thinking the same thing. I hope they release a new iPod touch that has compatibility with the Apple Watch. Requiring a cellular connection isn't necessary for a lot of the features the Apple Watch supports, like email, messages, third party apps, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.