Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsawy3r

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Can anybody confirm if Auto Unlock does or does not work on the Mid 2012 rMBP? I've seen that it doesn't work on a Late 2012 Mac mini, but the rMBP was a bit ahead of its time in connectivity and I imagine Apple isn't dotting the i and crossing the t on the beta docs.

Figure if there is one exception to the 2013 limitation it would be this. Holding out hope!

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
It has to be a 2013 computer. However Apple wasn't too specific on exactly where that cutoff is. My mid 2013 13 inch Retina works with the auto unlock. My early 2013 15 inch does not.

Edited for spelling

Reactions: deany

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
It has to be a 2013 computer. However Apple wasn't too specific on exactly where that cutoff is. My mid 2013 13 inch Retina works with the auto unlock. My early 2013 15 inch does not.

Edited for spelling

Can you clarify how auto unlock works please? I know it works when you open the lid of your laptop or wake your Mac from sleep; however if you lock your screen with a password when the screen saver starts, will a move of your mouse summon an Apple Watch unlock method? If not, the feature loses a lot of impact for my day to day use.

For clarification, this is the feature I'm talking about.

lock on screen saver.png

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
It seems to be working with laptops what have modern Energy Saver settings. If you have separated Computer sleep and Display sleep sliders it won't work.. So all Macs from Mid 2013 ->

I tried it with multiple Macs on our development stack.

I suspected as much. I hope the they reverse this and expand. This is not a valid excuse to withhold a feature that would work on capable and perfectly functioning hardware.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Yesterday I attempted to get auto unlock to work with my 2012 rMBP, I was unable to get it to work. Today I installed an updated airport card from a 2013 and it worked. So that is an option for anyone wanting this feature. This was also confirmed by a guy in another thread.
[doublepost=1467925837][/doublepost]
It seems to be working with laptops what have modern Energy Saver settings. If you have separated Computer sleep and Display sleep sliders it won't work.. So all Macs from Mid 2013 ->

I tried it with multiple Macs on our development stack.

I would guess that is more of a coincidence than anything...

Reactions: deany

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
Yesterday I attempted to get auto unlock to work with my 2012 rMBP, I was unable to get it to work. Today I installed an updated airport card from a 2013 and it worked. So that is an option for anyone wanting this feature. This was also confirmed by a guy in another thread.

Was it Mid 2013 later? Those had AC card.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Was it Mid 2013 later? Those had AC card.

This would make a lot of sense. In the post WWDC podcast interview with Gruber, Craig explained how auto unlock uses WiFi in addition to bluetooth 4.0 to communicate with the Mac

Craig Federighi said:
And so, we’re actually able to do time of flight calculations using peer-to-peer Wi-Fi where we literally can measure how long at the speed of light it’s taking for the signal to travel from your Mac to your watch and back.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
Same Mac here. Super annoying and stupid. I'm hoping support expands before the final release or a hack/work-around is discovered.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
Apparently some people with older Macs that use the third party "Continuity Activation Tool" have the Apple Watch auto unlock option (CAT seems to activate it). This doesn't help us however bc our 2012 rMBP already has continuity features so even if you try to install CAT, it just gives an error and doesn't do anything. Sucks

Reactions: Ladyc0524

Seagyi

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016

[doublepost=1467995416][/doublepost]I have the same MacBook and gonna try buying the newer card

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I'm interested in how you were able to get it to work. I installed an updated card on my early 2013 this morning and I still don't have that option and two factor identification is properly set up.

Im pretty sure you wouldn't need the card... sounds like something else is wrong... what card did you buy?

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
Im pretty sure you wouldn't need the card... sounds like something else is wrong... what card did you buy?

I replaced the card with a late 2015 card (they're basically the same). Everything works fine and macOS recognizes it as a wireless ac card, but I still never get the auto unlock feature.

Seagyi

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016
I replaced the card with a late 2015 card (they're basically the same). Everything works fine and macOS recognizes it as a wireless ac card, but I still never get the auto unlock feature.

i think you might have to reinstall sierra so it recognizes the hardware properly and enables it for you

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
i think you might have to reinstall sierra so it recognizes the hardware properly and enables it for you
I thought the same. I erased and installed from a bootable USB:clean install. Still no dice. Oh well. That's beta testing for ya

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
That's not necessary either. It picked up the new card on mine as soon as I booted back into macOS...

Interesting. When I looked into the system profile, it correctly identifies it as a wireless ac card. No problems with Bluetooth or Wifi either. Weird.

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
What about MacBook pro retina late 2012? It has bluetooth 4.0 but the option hasn't appeared so far. Does it really need wifi ac card?

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
What about MacBook pro retina late 2012? It has bluetooth 4.0 but the option hasn't appeared so far. Does it really need wifi ac card?
So far it appears to be that way. I have an early 2013 and I don't even have the option. I even changed my wifi card to a wireless ac and it still didn't work.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010

Yes, it appears that you need the ac card. Sounds like they are doing some kind of distance calculation with wifi instead of bluetooth.
[doublepost=1468246200][/doublepost]
So far it appears to be that way. I have an early 2013 and I don't even have the option. I even changed my wifi card to a wireless ac and it still didn't work.

I'm thinking this is just a beta bug. It should be showing up for you.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Even on "supported" hardware it doesn't work reliably. I think it's way too early to be considering hardware changes in order to try to make it work.
Who knows what the next beta will bring? Maybe what's not supported now will be supported in the next beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.