Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbb555

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Auto unlock only worked once for me running 10.12.
After running all 10.12.1 beta releases, it just worked.
I think maybe once a day it reverts back to the password - but I don't want wear my watch too tight and when I check my watch it is locked.
My screen locks at least a dozen times a day.
I'm currently running 10.12.1 beta 4 and it has been pretty stable with my setup.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Auto unlocked had worked for me for a week or so - but now it's back to looking like it will unlock - then just giving me the password box to fill in.

So the Apple logic of my watch easily unlocking my computer for speed - actually now means it takes longer than before to get into my Mac.

Reactions: rhythmac

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Was working for weeks, now auto unlock fails on every one of my Macs. Oh well. Guess I'll get used to not having it and forget about it :)

iAVERY

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
It was working fine for me but now its telling me i need to turn off two factor veriv=fication (it is off) to turn on two step authorization. I have turned it on and back off again ad restarted my mac. idk what to do

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
Unlock with apple watch works 30% of the time WTF? Why is it so random? I've tried everything. Rebooting. Turning it off and on again. Everything is on the same wifi. I'm literally one feet away from it.

ScottButler

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Sunderland, UK
Just an update on my previous post - since updating to 10.12.1 this is working very well. I haven't had a single failed unlock yet, this feature is so handy, it seems to be unlocking faster too.

I wonder why it took until 10.12.1 for this to work and wasn't addressed in the months of beta testing for 10.12?

Reactions: rhythmac

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
For me, it seems to fail when it has to wake my external HD. If I am only gone for 10 minutes, it unlocks just fine. When I try to wake first thing in the morning or after coming home from work, it will fail. I can hear the HD spinning up, and then I get the password prompt...

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
If I have a rMBP 2014 or newer, and Apple Watch, and macOS Sierra, I can unlock it using my Watch. Would I also be able to authenticate other system functions, such as System Preferences being unlocked, or other OS-level password prompts?

Many thanks!

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
If I have a rMBP 2014 or newer, and Apple Watch, and macOS Sierra, I can unlock it using my Watch. Would I also be able to authenticate other system functions, such as System Preferences being unlocked, or other OS-level password prompts?

Many thanks!
Doesn't do that at this point - only unlocks your Mac. If you'd like to see it enhanced, you should fill in a feature request at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html and detail how you think it should work for these scenarios. (If Apple agrees, you could see this happen in an upcoming release).

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Doesn't do that at this point - only unlocks your Mac. If you'd like to see it enhanced, you should fill in a feature request at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html and detail how you think it should work for these scenarios. (If Apple agrees, you could see this happen in an upcoming release).
Makes sense. They probably won't because they want people to use the newer MacBook Pro with Touch ID.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Makes sense. They probably won't because they want people to use the newer MacBook Pro with Touch ID.
Well, it was a bit of a pre-cursor to the Touch ID keyboard (as I understand it, there's a slimmed down WatchOS module performing that in the keyboard - makes sense how they'll do the Magic keyboard replacement for the iMac and Mac Mini).
I think they'll keep the feature, just that future iterations, that module in the keyboard will be relay for your credentials from the Watch.

They should also be leveraging it a lot more with the car makers and home automation folks (for keyless entry as well as presence checking - knowing where you are in the home and making your home automation work intuitively)...but I digress. :)

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
I have had a look, but cannot find an answer.
On the new MacBook Pro with T/B can you use your finger print and your apple watch to unlock the laptop, or is it one or the other,
or indeed, is the Apple Watch unlocking there at all?

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I can't seem to see the option to enable auto-unlock and have followed all the steps carefully.

The only thing I can think of is, I have the iPhone/Apple Watch on JoeBloggs@me.com and the MacBook on JoeBloggs@iCloud.com - the same account but with an alias. Would this stop this functionality working altogether?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I can't seem to see the option to enable auto-unlock and have followed all the steps carefully.

The only thing I can think of is, I have the iPhone/Apple Watch on JoeBloggs@me.com and the MacBook on JoeBloggs@iCloud.com - the same account but with an alias. Would this stop this functionality working altogether?

How about other iCloud functions? If continuity, handsoff, universal clipboard all working. Then the alias doesn't sound like the root cause.

Did you try "reset Bluetooth" on your Mac?

1) hold "shift + option" on you Mac and click the Bluetooth icon on menu bar.

2) choose debug

3) choose reset Bluetooth module (I am not next to my Mac now, can't remember the exact wording, but you should see something like that).

4) reboot your Mac

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I have been fiddling around with trying to get this enabled for the last hour. First I had to 'upgrade' from Two Step to Two Factor, no problems there. Then I enabled the option in System Preferences, all good. I went to actually use the feature, and I got a pinwheel for a second then a password prompt. I tried it about 30 times, no joke. I tried SMC, PRAM resets, reboots, power downs, everything - and got it work ONCE after I toggled it off then back on in settings. After that, it doesn't even attempt to unlock with my Watch, it just goes straight for the prompt.

2013 Mac Pro (cylinder) macOS 10.12.1, Apple Watch 'Series 0' watchOS 3.1, iPhone 6s Plus iOS 10.2 Public Beta 4.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I have been fiddling around with trying to get this enabled for the last hour. First I had to 'upgrade' from Two Step to Two Factor, no problems there. Then I enabled the option in System Preferences, all good. I went to actually use the feature, and I got a pinwheel for a second then a password prompt. I tried it about 30 times, no joke. I tried SMC, PRAM resets, reboots, power downs, everything - and got it work ONCE after I toggled it off then back on in settings. After that, it doesn't even attempt to unlock with my Watch, it just goes straight for the prompt.

2013 Mac Pro (cylinder) macOS 10.12.1, Apple Watch 'Series 0' watchOS 3.1, iPhone 6s Plus iOS 10.2 Public Beta 4.
It can be really sticky with your iCloud credentials (and not just your Apple ID logging into your apps, but also your systems). If you have multiple macs, try logging each of them out in iCloud, then back in. Verify that everything looks ok on your Apple ID management page (https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage). On your iPhone, go to Settings, Messages, Text Message Forwarding - make sure there's no duplicates - if there are, then the duplicates are showing that you have messed up credentials in iCloud. Remove the affected system on your Apple ID management page (and sign out of iCloud on the device).
Also logging out/in messages and FaceTime on your devices may fix the "glitch" that's holding you up. Failing all else, log out, then back into iCloud on your i-devices. (a little painful, as this forces you to re-add your Apple Pay options all over again).

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I have followed all the instructions but nothing is working. I have setup two factor verification. When I click Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac it says to sign into iCloud with the watch and it already is. All my devices are using the same iCloud account.

Internetsharing is shut off.

Any clue what else I can do?
[doublepost=1483290657][/doublepost]So now it doesn't tell me to sign into iCloud anymore, but when I check it it says turning on and keeps spinning... Very annoying.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I have followed all the instructions but nothing is working. I have setup two factor verification. When I click Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac it says to sign into iCloud with the watch and it already is. All my devices are using the same iCloud account.

Internetsharing is shut off.

Any clue what else I can do?
[doublepost=1483290657][/doublepost]So now it doesn't tell me to sign into iCloud anymore, but when I check it it says turning on and keeps spinning... Very annoying.

I had the same problem. It finally resolved itself on it's own. I just kept trying until it worked. It took me six or seven attempts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.