Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I received my review unit from Pitaka (iPITAKA.com). The unit shipped directly from Hong Kong.

I was told from the start that these are pre-production models, so I was not surprised to see that the packaging, while more than adequate to protect the device, was not "professional" level. That said, the device arrived in good condition, and no damage was evident.

Likewise, the included documentation was not production quality, and the translation was a little "off", but again, I was able to get the gist of the points, and it was more than adequate to provide setup instructions, and included a QR code that linked to a short YouTube video.

I am certain that both the packaging and the documentation will be improved once the actual production starts.

The Pitaka MagDock came with the following items in the package:
  • one Pitaka MagDock
  • zippered storage/travel case
  • one meter USB-C to USB-C cable
  • AC USB-C charging block
  • carbon fiber magnetic iPhone case
  • one tempered glass screen protector for your phone
  • 38mm and 42mm AppleWatch "ledge" support adapters
The documentation stated "Kindly note that the review samples are all hand-made ... some details of the MagDock may not be so perfect ...". I found nothing about the build quality that would make me suspicious of any problem or that gave me any pause. The unit seems to be quite sturdy and well-made.

The assembly was quite simple and intuitive. Plug the AC adapter into a power source, plug one end of the cable into the AC adapter and the other into the MagDock. Put the included carbon fiber phone case on your iPhone, and set the phone on the top of the charger.

I have a 42mm AppleWatch, so no changes were required, as the 42mm "ledge" comes pre-installed.

To charge the AppleWatch, simply place the watch back over the indentation on the MagDock, wrap the band around the base of the MagDock and rest the watch on the "ledge".

There is no on/off switch, so the MagDock is always ready to charge your devices.

The MagDock charged both my AppleWatch and my iPhone 8 Plus concurrently, and so far has worked really well. It's relatively compact - about 3" in diameter, and stands about 4" tall. The unit is actually two pieces, cut at about a 45º angle. This allows the top to rotate into one of two positions - straight up and down and about 45º (see photos). The MagDock weighs just under one pound (14.4 ounces/408 grams).

There is also a "nano gel pad" on the bottom to attach the MagDock to a desk or table and prevent movement. I have not utilized that feature, as the weight is substantial enough to keep it from moving around on my desk.

There is also a connection port on the base for a "MagPad", an optional extra phone charger that will connect to the base of the MagDock.

If I had to be critical of the device, I would point out the following... but IMO, these issues are minor, and can easily be overlooked.
  1. The biggest issue is that in order to use the MagDock with the phone positioned at 45 degrees, you must use the enclosed magnetic carbon fiber iPhone case. Apparently it uses the magnetic properties of the case to hold the phone to the charger, when the charger is positioned in this configuration. If you use the MagDock in "straight up and down" mode, you can use any case compatible with wireless charging. This would preclude the use of your favorite "other" phone case. The provided carbon fiber case actually has a nice feel and is stylish enough for day to day use. I have also been told that Pitaka will include a metal plate to assist with the magnetic docking. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE METAL PLATES DO NOT IN ANY WAY INTERFERE WITH THE WIRELESS CHARGING PROCESS.
  2. The placement of the AppleWatch charger, the USB-C connection and the phone in the 45º position seems strange. With the phone in the 45º position, the USB-C connection is in the back, and the AppleWatch charger is at the nine o'clock position. Rotating the MagDock to place the AppleWatch charger in front causes the USB-C connection to be at the nine o'clock position, and just looks odd, IMO. This is purely an aesthetic thing, and in no way does it affect the functionality.
  3. There is a very slight red/pink light leak in the joint between the two pieces. This may be problematic if you intend to use this on a bedside table, and if the glowing green LEDs on other wireless chargers bother you, this is important to note. I have been told by the contact at Pitaka.com that this is a function of the hand-made origin of the review sample, and that it will be completely eliminated once the production process is ramped up.

The Kickstarter page mentions a "power bank" feature which was not in the review unit. I would find that to be an incredibly useful addition to the production version of the MagDock.

I've only had this device for a short time, but I quite like it.

Here's a link to the kickstarter page for the MagDock
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...g-dock-inbuilt-with?ref=563309&token=a47139aa

UPDATE: I got a new S4 Apple Watch, and, as expected, the 44mm watch fits perfectly on the 42mm 'ledge'.

IMG_2343.jpg IMG_2344.jpg IMG_2345.jpg IMG_2350.jpg IMG_2352.jpg IMG_2353.jpg IMG_2354.jpg

Last edited:

gaedfly

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
This is the best one I've seen so far (and the only one that provides a solution for charging all three devices).
Nice but I've been burned so often on Kickstarter, with Kickstarter taking zero responsibility, that I refuse to support them or their developers.

Reactions: MareLuce

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
England
Do anyone have native union dock for Apple Watch? Does it feel good and weight on side stand strong (not tip over) and flat too? Does it look well made?

This one I talking about:
https://www.nativeunion.co.uk/dock-for-apple-watch/

It expensive but if it well made and strong stable then it be good. I have some clumsy people at home and normal stand will fall over after get hit.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I picked up the Orzly stand from Amazon & I'm liking it more than I expected with my Series 4 watch.

Also ordered the Elevation Lab Nightstand, will compare the two.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
England
I end up getting native union dock from link above cos I don’t want leave it too long charging on table. It too light and easily knocked over. Been using native union dock for over week now and it been good. Keep nice and steady and out of way. I like have it flat for nightstand mode. Looks good too.

Dr99

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
Do anyone have native union dock for Apple Watch? Does it feel good and weight on side stand strong (not tip over) and flat too? Does it look well made?

This one I talking about:
https://www.nativeunion.co.uk/dock-for-apple-watch/

I’ve been using that for at least a couple of years now back to my series 1. I have the same color scheme with matching iPhone stand, although I’ve started to use qi with my XS. You are lucky, that color combo no longer appears on the US Native Union site. I like the looks and never had a problem charging.

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I received my review unit from Pitaka (iPITAKA.com). The unit shipped directly from Hong Kong.

I was told from the start that these are pre-production models, so I was not surprised to see that the packaging, while more than adequate to protect the device, was not "professional" level. That said, the device arrived in good condition, and no damage was evident.

Likewise, the included documentation was not production quality, and the translation was a little "off", but again, I was able to get the gist of the points, and it was more than adequate to provide setup instructions, and included a QR code that linked to a short YouTube video.

I am certain that both the packaging and the documentation will be improved once the actual production starts.

The Pitaka MagDock came with the following items in the package:
  • one Pitaka MagDock
  • zippered storage/travel case
  • one meter USB-C to USB-C cable
  • AC USB-C charging block
  • carbon fiber magnetic iPhone case
  • one tempered glass screen protector for your phone
  • 38mm and 42mm AppleWatch "ledge" support adapters
The documentation stated "Kindly note that the review samples are all hand-made ... some details of the MagDock may not be so perfect ...". I found nothing about the build quality that would make me suspicious of any problem or that gave me any pause. The unit seems to be quite sturdy and well-made.

The assembly was quite simple and intuitive. Plug the AC adapter into a power source, plug one end of the cable into the AC adapter and the other into the MagDock. Put the included carbon fiber phone case on your iPhone, and set the phone on the top of the charger.

I have a 42mm AppleWatch, so no changes were required, as the 42mm "ledge" comes pre-installed.

To charge the AppleWatch, simply place the watch back over the indentation on the MagDock, wrap the band around the base of the MagDock and rest the watch on the "ledge".

There is no on/off switch, so the MagDock is always ready to charge your devices.

The MagDock charged both my AppleWatch and my iPhone 8 Plus concurrently, and so far has worked really well. It's relatively compact - about 3" in diameter, and stands about 4" tall. The unit is actually two pieces, cut at about a 45º angle. This allows the top to rotate into one of two positions - straight up and down and about 45º (see photos). The MagDock weighs just under one pound (14.4 ounces/408 grams).

There is also a "nano gel pad" on the bottom to attach the MagDock to a desk or table and prevent movement. I have not utilized that feature, as the weight is substantial enough to keep it from moving around on my desk.

There is also a connection port on the base for a "MagPad", an optional extra phone charger that will connect to the base of the MagDock.

If I had to be critical of the device, I would point out the following... but IMO, these issues are minor, and can easily be overlooked.
  1. The biggest issue is that in order to use the MagDock with the phone positioned at 45 degrees, you must use the enclosed magnetic carbon fiber iPhone case. Apparently it uses the magnetic properties of the case to hold the phone to the charger, when the charger is positioned in this configuration. If you use the MagDock in "straight up and down" mode, you can use any case compatible with wireless charging. This would preclude the use of your favorite "other" phone case. The provided carbon fiber case actually has a nice feel and is stylish enough for day to day use. I have also been told that Pitaka will include a metal plate to assist with the magnetic docking. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE METAL PLATES DO NOT IN ANY WAY INTERFERE WITH THE WIRELESS CHARGING PROCESS.
  2. The placement of the AppleWatch charger, the USB-C connection and the phone in the 45º position seems strange. With the phone in the 45º position, the USB-C connection is in the back, and the AppleWatch charger is at the nine o'clock position. Rotating the MagDock to place the AppleWatch charger in front causes the USB-C connection to be at the nine o'clock position, and just looks odd, IMO. This is purely an aesthetic thing, and in no way does it affect the functionality.
  3. There is a very slight red/pink light leak in the joint between the two pieces. This may be problematic if you intend to use this on a bedside table, and if the glowing green LEDs on other wireless chargers bother you, this is important to note. I have been told by the contact at Pitaka.com that this is a function of the hand-made origin of the review sample, and that it will be completely eliminated once the production process is ramped up.

The Kickstarter page mentions a "power bank" feature which was not in the review unit. I would find that to be an incredibly useful addition to the production version of the MagDock.

I've only had this device for a short time, but I quite like it.

Here's a link to the kickstarter page for the MagDock
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...g-dock-inbuilt-with?ref=563309&token=a47139aa

UPDATE: I got a new S4 Apple Watch, and, as expected, the 44mm watch fits perfectly on the 42mm 'ledge'.

View attachment 782038 View attachment 782039 View attachment 782040 View attachment 782042 View attachment 782044 View attachment 782045 View attachment 782046

After using this setup for over a month, I have to say that I quite like it... I have it sitting on my desktop, and top off my phone throughout the day... the 44mm S4 watch fits on the 42mm 'shelf', and likewise charges quickly...

1sazim

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
Hey, everyone!
We are designing a wireless charger stand for iPhone + apple watch or Earpods.
We have a quick survey: are watch users more than Earpods users in quantities?

Don't know if you're still looking for beta testers but I would be interested in trying and giving you my honest opinion. I have an iPhone 7 plus, airpods, and am expecting my new watch(Series 4 40mm with Milanese band) next week. I have had an Apple Watch since first released, going from my Series 0 to series 3 last year.
Presently I use the Elago stand at home and the Smatree travel watch charger.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I have iPhone X, AirPods, Apple Watch (Series 3 SS currently, series 4 SS on the way) and an iPad. Happy to be a tester!

1sazim

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
Don't know if you're still looking for beta testers but I would be interested in trying and giving you my honest opinion. I have an iPhone 7 plus, airpods, and am expecting my new watch(Series 4 40mm with Milanese band) next week. I have had an Apple Watch since first released, going from my Series 0 to series 3 last year.
Presently I use the Elago stand at home and the Smatree travel watch charger.

OOOPS.... Forgot I also have an iPad to charge. Right now, I use a dock to charge my phone and iPad.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I got a bunch of chargers for phone and watch on amazon for review and what is interesting is that the ones with built in Apple Watch charger don’t seem to work with Apple Watch 4. I’m not sure what Apple changed. Basically it charges for like 5 min and stops. While I thought it was because the back is a different size I don’t think that is the reason. I think Apple implemented some security into the aw4 to prevent it from working properly with lower quality chargers. All these work fine with my aw2.

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City
I tried making my own stand out of Legos to hold my:
Apple Watch
MacBook Pro
iPad Pro
iPhone
AirPods
Apple TV 4K remotes
but I couldn’t get it to work. I wish someone make such a larger stand or at least a modular one.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I tried making my own stand out of Legos to hold my:
Apple Watch
MacBook Pro
iPad Pro
iPhone
AirPods
Apple TV 4K remotes
but I couldn’t get it to work. I wish someone make such a larger stand or at least a modular one.

Seriously? I think you must have given up too quickly ;)

There is almost nothing that can't be made out of Lego :D

I mean, they even make little machines that solve Rubik cubes out of Lego.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2009
Apple Watch Stands... pics and links inside

The only thing about these stands and some, if not all, of the bands is that you will have to redo the band before placing it on the charger, not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

The above is the reason why I hesitate to buy a charging stand. I'd have to redo the band again. If I just have the charging cable on my table, I don't care whether the band is in a loop or not.

Reactions: MareLuce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.