Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coachbrady79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
How many of you are going with no case or screen protector? if so how has your experience been ?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I can’t or mine would be damaged by now. I accidentally hit it against a corner of a counter or table more often than not. If it weren’t for my silicon case and tempered glass screen protector, I would be ******. I do have AC+ on it just in case.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
A few scratches on the side. Nothing that would cause heartbreak.
296d9c57c341516d93d612a97cf87f3a.jpg

Reactions: Dim08

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I don't currently have the watch but if I did I would not use a case or screen protector. I equate those to a bit like the plastic covers that some folks keep on their sofa in the living room which is reserved for special occasions only ;)

However, these watches are not inexpensive so I see why some owners would go the protection route.

rgyiv

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2018
I got my Series 2 December 2016 and it has very few blemishes.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Series 0 Space Gray, ordered the first day they were available, worn every day since, never had a case or screen protector, screen is pristine, case looks great unless you get out a jewelers loupe, then you might see a few small nicks. The lettering on the back is a bit worn, but I don't look at that side. It's slow, because it's Series 0, but otherwise still going strong.

When I see people say, "if I hadn't had a case on it, it would have broken" - they can't know that, they're guessing and/or justifying their case purchase to themselves. Yes, perhaps it would have broken. But mine has knocked into a lot of things in the last 4 years... you wouldn't know it from looking at it. Apple builds them to be pretty sturdy.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I have a S3 Aluminum one since Christmas 2017 and in the light it can look pretty bad because of all the scratches on the screen. That said, I still wouldn’t get a case or screen protector for it, just doesn’t make sense to me. Get the SS version if you don’t want to deal with scratches on the screen.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Never used a case and never will. Have had each iteration of the watch and when I had an aluminum S0 and S3 I had minimal scratches on the screen (could only see them when the light hit them just right).

Unless you're working in construction or around heavy machinery I just cannot see why anyone would use a case or screen protector. They all just look ridiculous. A small scratch on the screen or body looks way better than some clunky case.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
After wearing my SS on the link bracelet off and on for four years, it looks like any other steel watch I've owned. The bracelet and case have a zillion little scratches all over them, and the sapphire is clean.

The stainless steel is the case, so it protects the watch's internals. I'm not sure I understand putting a case on the case.

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
I put a screen protector on my S3 the day after I got it and removed it the next day. It was so annoying. My screen is fine. Does it have a few scratches? Yes, it does. Does it matter to me? No, it doesn't.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
I’ve used a S0, S2 SS and currently have a S4 SS and they’ve all managed to survive just fine being naked. And my job is one where I definitely could benefit from a case/screen protector.

For bigger issues like shattered glass I rely on AC+, which I thankfully haven’t had to use yet.

Hudzilla95

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2019
UK
I got my S3 SBSS on Christmas 2017, had a screen protector on for less than 30 minutes and it smashed - after then i was terrified to put another one on in case it scratched the screen.
Fast forward nearly 2 years of him being naked and he is still in perfect condition.

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA
My original SS, my AWS2 aluminum went without any protection and never had a single scratch on either the case nor the glass. Been rocking my series 4 Nike since launch day naked and have quite a few scratches on the screen. Don't know if they changed the screen material or what? My wife's AWS4 is the same way.

outsidah

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
It’s a watch after all, cases make it look strange IMO. My watches have faired well but I try to be careful. I do find the screens on the stainless and above models to be a significant improvement over the aluminum ones. The aluminum ones seemed to develop micro scratches easily.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I have an aluminum S0 and S5 and haven't put a case or screen protector on either of them. The S0 has held up well and I believe the S5 will do the same.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Both my wife and I have SS S4's. No case, no screen protector.

I am very careful, and tend not to break things. Mine is in perfect condition.

My wife tends to be very destructive. Hers just has what most people would consider normal wear and tear -- micro scratching on the SS band, no scratches or cracks on the screen.

We have applecare on both just in case a serious oops happens.

Watches should not be in a case...

On the other hand, I use a case on my phone, and my wife uses a case and a screen protector on hers.

Reactions: scmill

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
It’s a Watch. To put an ugly case on it defeats the purpose of a wrist-based utility. Yes itll get knocked about, because it a Watch. I’ve worn apple watches every day since the very first day it was available (both steel and aluminium models), and have never damaged a single one by just wearing it as a Watch.

tldr; cases are unnecessary. It’s designed to be a Watch, it can handle a few dings.

Reactions: barbeyg

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
In the grand scheme of watches, Apple Watches aren’t expensive at all.

If I had a £10,000 Rolex I wouldn’t put a cheap plastic case on it so I’m not going to with an Apple Watch either.

Fair point, but that 10k Rolex will likely appreciate in value, if not remain darn near the same and the technology inside isn't going to be obsolete within a few years either. Also would you wear that watch when working on an automobile or machinery, lifting weights or other extreme conditions?

And just to be clear, I don't use a case. Both S2 and S4 cases are in perfect condition. Screen protection yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.