Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I do not use a case but I've always had a clear film on my screen. I don't even notice it's there, and it does not affect clarity at all.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I don't even use a case or screen protector on my iPhone so I ain't gonna start doing that on my AW. Also I enjoy to feel of cold steel in my hands.

Bornee35

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Canada
Wear an S3 to the gym every day, and wear it during hockey games twice a week. excluding the watchband it shows almost zero signs of wear with no case or screen protector. A little knick on the Digital Crown but that was from losing a wrestling match with my German Shepherd.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Had a Stainless Steel Series 0 for three years and the screen was pristine and the case looked great with no protectors. It's been the same with my year-old Space Black Stainless Series 4 (the DLC coating on the case really seems to hold up to very mild abuse).

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
This is an interesting discussion. I rather NOT have a case/screen protector on my Apple Watch 5. BUT, everyone deals with different situations. I live in NY, and go through Penn Station on a daily basis. I don’t know if any of you deal with this on a daily basis, but IF you go through Penn Station, you would understand why I have a screen protector/case combo on my watch.

People literally crash into you EVERY day. People are running for trains, and I literally have been run into dozens of times. I literally have to put my hand out, like the friggen Heisman Trophy, to try to stop people from crashing into me.

That is why I have one on my watch. Once I get to work, in an office, I take it off. But while on mass transit, I will protect my watch.

That being said, I had the original Apple Watch, and did the same thing. Stopped wearing one on my watch after a few years, that thing is still in insanely great condition, you literally have to search for scratches on it.

Here’s my screen protector/case combo.

1570753048474.png

Reactions: yui4

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
In the grand scheme of watches, Apple Watches aren’t expensive at all.

If I had a £10,000 Rolex I wouldn’t put a cheap plastic case on it so I’m not going to with an Apple Watch either.

Accept if you spent 10,000 pounds on a Rolex you could sell for 11,000 pounds! ;)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I've had the original AW aluminum and it got scratched a little bit over the years, skipped v2.
Got aw3 SS, aw4 SS, and now aw5 SS.
No protection.
I don't even have protection film on my car. Living dangerously these days I know.

Reactions: BillGates1969

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I rock my apple watch and iPhone naked! I do invest on Applecare plus for all my devices.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I had a film screen protector on my Series 4. However. it came off on it's own one day (night?) and I never noticed. It was probably off for a solid month. I noticed finally the other day... and then saw some very light, micro scratches on the screen in the right lightning, which bugs me. But to each their own. So I put another protector on it. The ones I use are great (minus the falling off part), clear and you can barely tell one is on.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I had a film screen protector on my Series 4. However. it came off on it's own one day (night?) and I never noticed. It was probably off for a solid month. I noticed finally the other day... and then saw some very light, micro scratches on the screen in the right lightning, which bugs me. But to each their own. So I put another protector on it. The ones I use are great (minus the falling off part), clear and you can barely tell one is on.

What do you use.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
This is an interesting discussion. I rather NOT have a case/screen protector on my Apple Watch 5. BUT, everyone deals with different situations. I live in NY, and go through Penn Station on a daily basis. I don’t know if any of you deal with this on a daily basis, but IF you go through Penn Station, you would understand why I have a screen protector/case combo on my watch.

People literally crash into you EVERY day. People are running for trains, and I literally have been run into dozens of times. I literally have to put my hand out, like the friggen Heisman Trophy, to try to stop people from crashing into me.

That is why I have one on my watch. Once I get to work, in an office, I take it off. But while on mass transit, I will protect my watch.

That being said, I had the original Apple Watch, and did the same thing. Stopped wearing one on my watch after a few years, that thing is still in insanely great condition, you literally have to search for scratches on it.

Here’s my screen protector/case combo.

View attachment 868461
What case is that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.