Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
The Apple store has instant savings on all their computers.

eg.
Fully loaded Powerbook
-------------------------------
"Save $360 instantly
off price shown!"

Midrange Powerbook
---------------------------
"Save $360 instantly
off all memory upgrades! "

Coulda sworn this wasn't here this morning.
I sure hope this is the beginning of permanant price reductions across the board!
Apple is just too expensive for most people!
(Especially us Canadians.Sheesh,it's over $7,000 for a fully loaded Powerbook after taxes!!!!)

Meridian

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think this is just referring to the "double your memory" promotion that Apple is offering to US customers until the end of the year.

BUT...

I could have sworn that the Canadian Apple store was offering a similar promotion the last time I looked (something like "Double Your Memory for $67"). It appears to be gone now. Did any other Canadian shoppers see this, or was I hallucinating? :confused:

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Yes there is still the" double your memory promotion",as well as the new "instant savings"deal,as well as the up to up $400 display offer.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...fk4ZCn8/3.3.0.3.27.33.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?623,365

The "instant savings" is being offered throughout all Apple models.

Looks like they're getting smart and actually trying to sell computers rather than just have people stand around and drool at them.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001

I could have sworn that the Canadian Apple store was offering a similar promotion the last time I looked (something like "Double Your Memory for $67"). It appears to be gone now. Did any other Canadian shoppers see this, or was I hallucinating? :confused: [/B]

Woops,that's only for the U.S.Apple store.There is absolutely nothing on "instant savings" or "double your memory" deals at the canadian Apple store except the display deal.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by Meridian
I could have sworn that the Canadian Apple store was offering a similar promotion the last time I looked (something like "Double Your Memory for $67"). It appears to be gone now. Did any other Canadian shoppers see this, or was I hallucinating? :confused:

You're not the only one confused. It was definitely there. I started to order 2 PBs today and when I selected the double RAM it was full price. I called Apple and I'm currently waiting for a return call explaining what is going on.

If this nonsense doesn't get straightened out looks like I'm taking a drive to MI tomorrow.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
This is just the double your memory promotion. If you notice you double your memory and it will cost you $40 more. The savings you get is what they are listing as the instant saving.

Here's an example.

PowerBook faster configuration. Price starts at $3,199 it says, " save $360 instantly off all memory upgrades!" If you were to add a second 512MB dimm it would cost $400. Take the $360 from the $400 dollars and what do you get $40. Which is what the double the memory promotion is, "Get twice the RAM for only $40.".

The Powerbook ultimate configuration is already maxed out on memory so they just give you the $360 off the price.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Huh...?

Apple seems to be acting more and more like Gateway and Dell, with their "Hot Deals" or "Double Your RAM" or whatever nonsense marketing has come up with this week.

How about this Apple: You send me the machine with no RAM, give me a $360 rebate, and I'll go to MacMall and get a 512MB of Viking RAM for $99 bucks. At that rate, I can "Double My RAM" for a total savings of $600 under what you're charging.

Just give us an honest rebate, or nothing at all. I'd rather pay top dollar for the new machines than shell out (nearly) full-price for these dusty ole' models.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Huh...?

Apple seems to be acting more and more like Gateway and Dell, with their "Hot Deals" or "Double Your RAM" or whatever nonsense marketing has come up with this week.

How about this Apple: You send me the machine with no RAM, give me a $360 rebate, and I'll go to MacMall and get a 512MB of Viking RAM for $99 bucks. At that rate, I can "Double My RAM" for a total savings of $600 under what you're charging.

Just give us an honest rebate, or nothing at all. I'd rather pay top dollar for the new machines than shell out (nearly) full-price for these dusty ole' models.

U but what about new users to mac. They will think us mac users are non PC- like

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Cheaper RAM

I dunno why Apple just doesn't charge sane prices for RAM instead of dopey promos like double your RAM.

It does encourage one to go for the top model and max the RAM out for a good deal.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by MacBandit
This is just the double your memory promotion. If you notice you double your memory and it will cost you $40 more. The savings you get is what they are listing as the instant saving.

Damn Thats sneaky!They're making it look like at first glance that you get double the ram for $40 and an instant savings deal,kinda like they make you think you get four usb ports on the Powermac.Guess I should have read the offer details.....
Now about those price reductions across the board:D

Sell more for less=sell more alltogether=larger user base=sell even more=more profit over long term!

You don't need to be a Chinese take out restaurant or pizza chain manager to figure this out!
Nor do you need to sacrifice quality!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.