Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Since using OS X 10.8 when unzipping an archive the application Archive Utiliy starts and does not quit automatically after the work is done. Archive Utility stays open and has a visible icon in the Dock.

Is this normal? How can I prevent that?

Thanks - desertman

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Since using OS X 10.8 when unzipping an archive the application Archive Utiliy starts and does not quit automatically after the work is done. Archive Utility stays open and has a visible icon in the Dock.

Is this normal? How can I prevent that?

Thanks - desertman

Not sure. I'd trash the plist file, com.apple.archiveutility.plist located at ~/Library/Preferences see if that helps. There is no setting to keep it open, so it's a long shot.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
For me it closes itself. So I think that is not normal for you. I just checked Archive Utility preferences but didn't find any setting related to this.
try deleting "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.archiveutility.plist"
(~ means your home folder)

edit.: beaten. :D

weeksatimd

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
I am seeing the same thing on one of the two Macs I just upgraded to Mountain Lion. It definitely didn't happen on Lion and I have not found out how to fix it. I have trashed the Archive Utility preferences, but that doesn't fix the problem.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I am seeing the same thing on one of the two Macs I just upgraded to Mountain Lion. It definitely didn't happen on Lion and I have not found out how to fix it. I have trashed the Archive Utility preferences, but that doesn't fix the problem.

I don't have any other ideas. Sorry. Mine quits after it unzips. By chance is there anything in the system log about it when this happens?

weeksatimd

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
I repaired permissions and rebooted. That seems to have fixed it. It is closing automatically now as it should.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I repaired permissions and rebooted. That seems to have fixed it. It is closing automatically now as it should.
This worked for me, too ... for a while. After some time Archive Utility stayed again open, just like before.

I found a way around by going away from Archive Utility completely and using the free utility The Unarchiver instead.

LeeBeee

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
For me it is Afloat. As soon as I disable it in MySIMBL, Archive Utility quits after run. Since I need Afloat I also switched to The Unarchiver (thanks for the tip)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.