Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary Huggins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
Does anyone use the Arctic Fox browser for their older Mac and if so, could you please explain how to install it?

I have a MacBook Pro, version 10.6.8.

Thanks!

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I'm using it right now on 10.6.8 on my main 2010 iMac. Most up to date browser you can get right now it seems, you don't get crap from Facebook and YouTube about using caveman software, and its compatible with a lot of Firefox add-ons if you can get the older versions somehow.

Whats causing you trouble with installation? You download the file for Snow Leopard (64-bit as all versions of SL run that) https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki/Downloads

derp.jpg

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Used it for a bit on 10.6.8 and its a great browser. Easily the best option for Snow Leopard users in 2019.

Already a bit dated though. Facebook and Youtube tend to lag when navigating and some sites just don't render correctly. I have a 3.6GHz Intel Core i5 with 12GB of memory so its purely down to the software being suck.

I'm comfy using Snow Leopard and I'll hate it so bad if I have to switch to Catalina just to get a reliable web browser -_-

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Version 27.9.19 of ArcticFox (which is based on Mozilla Firefox code) is available now. There's a weird bug where you have to mess with your profile data in Application Support but it seems like a solid update. Facebook and YouTube aren't being the machine-bogging monsters they normally are... and time will only tell if that memory leak bug is still there.

So for the time being Snow Leopard users, this is the most up-to-date browser you can use.

https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki/Downloads

Reactions: Argyboy

hamish1

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020
Version 27.9.19 of ArcticFox (which is based on Mozilla Firefox code) is available now. There's a weird bug where you have to mess with your profile data in Application Support but it seems like a solid update. Facebook and YouTube aren't being the machine-bogging monsters they normally are... and time will only tell if that memory leak bug is still there.

So for the time being Snow Leopard users, this is the most up-to-date browser you can use.

https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki/Downloads
When I try to access the github.com site on safari I get refused access with no secure server error. In a bit of a catch 22 situation. Can I somehow bypass safari or any solution appreciated. Running Snow Leopard. Constantly getting the Safari can’t obtain a secure server connection with a lot of sites which is frustrating.

Argyboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
When I try to access the github.com site on safari I get refused access with no secure server error. In a bit of a catch 22 situation. Can I somehow bypass safari or any solution appreciated. Running Snow Leopard. Constantly getting the Safari can’t obtain a secure server connection with a lot of sites which is frustrating.

I'd say download the installer on another machine and transfer it across to your SL machine using a USB stick. That's the easiest option if Safari won't connect to github anymore

Reactions: hamish1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.