Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
@wicknix: WeTransfer apparently not working in AF. Front page opens up OK, but the link to a file download that was passed to me gives an empty, blank page. Disabling uBlockOrigin makes no difference.

Same thing in Firefox 49, even after allowing everything in NoScript. OTH, page and download both work fine in my antique Chromium (Incognito), as well as in the latest Waterfox under Sierra.

Mac 32-bit and 64-bit builds of 27.9.18 are now available. PPC 32-bit Linux version also now available. Change log here: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/releases/tag/27.9.18

@RobJos : Have you played around with site specific user agent overrides? It might just be a case of browser sniffing.

First things first, congratulations! This time 27.9.18/64 installed and launched painlessly, and it appears to be running smoothly. As always, many thanks for your work.

But not only: that WeTransfer download link now opened right away, without my having changed anything whatsoever.

Not only /2: for the past two days I was also getting a blank page instead of the usual login page to the service where the mail address I'm using here on MR is hosted. This had never ever happened before (I get a copy of incoming mails at another address, which is how I knew about the post about this new version), and I was still wondering what to do about it. Here too, miracle: things are back to normal with 27.9.18, without my taking any action.

This begs the question: are there some embedded certificates in AF, or some stuff that gets detected by certain sites as being outdated? But if there's another explanation, I wouldn't mind hearing about it.

Last: once I had found again the download page to AF, it took me <sweat> about 15 minutes to figure out that our behated <lipf>Google</lipf>* would not let me download it unless I accepted cookies from drive.google.com — before loading the page, that is </nosweat>.

* lipf: Language Improper on Public Forums

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Glad everything seems to be working again.

A few posts back it was mentioned that forum.manjaro.org wouldn't load after that site updated, but still worked in pm27. Luckily i kept all AF binaries back to 27.9.10. I installed each one until that site worked again. This gave us a time frame on where to start looking for the regression. Riccardo found the 2 commits that were added to bring AF's javascript a little more up to date had "broken" a few things dating back to 27.9.11. So those patches were pulled out of 27.9.18 for now until we can investigate further. They more than likely depended on other patches that weren't yet added.

With all that said, we do pay attention when you guys/gals post about sites not working, and try to pinpoint if it's something we can do on our end, or if it's just a case of the web moving forward towards chrome domination.

Cheers

A few posts back it was mentioned that forum.manjaro.org wouldn't load after that site updated, but still worked in pm27. Luckily i kept all AF binaries back to 27.9.10. I installed each one until that site worked again. This gave us a time frame on where to start looking for the regression. Riccardo found the 2 commits that were added to bring AF's javascript a little more up to date had "broken" a few things dating back to 27.9.11. So those patches were pulled out of 27.9.18 for now until we can investigate further. They more than likely depended on other patches that weren't yet added.

With all that said, we do pay attention when you guys/gals post about sites not working, and try to pinpoint if it's something we can do on our end, or if it's just a case of the web moving forward towards chrome domination.
Good to hear that we may keep on bugging you in the future (even if a good portion of your explanation escapes my limited understanding). I don't know if you have a way of keeping track of such things, but you're welcome to ask if site-specific bugs that were reported earlier have been fixed with a new version.

What could be neat is a user-defined feature (or addon?) that tags single sites and reminds you when you're launching them that you need to disable your add-blocker, or change the user agent to so and so, or temporarily allow cookies or <grr>Google scripts</grr>, or whatever, including changing VPN server to another country when needed (maybe not so useful for you folks in the US, but out here it happens to me a lot). There are getting to be enough problematic sites as to make it a bit difficult to remember what's to be done for every single one of them.

[Little glitch: this last AF wasn't recognized as the default browser anymore. Got it figured out after a while.]

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi All,

Here is Arctic Fox 27.9.18 for old Linux PowerPC distributions like Ubuntu 10.04 or higher.

Download: arcticfox-27.9.18-ubuntu10.04-powerpc.tar.bz2

For Ubuntu 10.04: You need to install the GCC 4.8 and the libatomic1 via the repository 'ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test'.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test

Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install gcc-4.8 g++-4.8

For Ubuntu 12.04: You need the libatomic1 package. Download: libatomic-ubuntu12.04-powerpc.tar.bz2

Please copy the file 'libatomic.so.1' to '/usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/' with the following command:

Code:
sudo cp libatomic.so.1 /usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/

Screenshots of Arctic Fox 27.9.18 for old Linux distributions:

Cheers,
Christian

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Nice! This looks great! I've been looking for a decent browser for my original 2 Ghz Core Duo MacBook Pro 17" for a long time. I'll put this on next time I fire it up.

Pipeline79

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Hi there,
What would be my chances of building this on a Mac Mini G4 with 1GB RAM & 3.5GB swap, on FreeBSD?
I'd have to create or adapt one of the mozconfig files first too, right?

Reactions: z970

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Your specs are fine. I originally built on my Mac mini g4 until I fixed my g5. Due note it will take about 10 hours to build on a g4. Yeah you probably have to modify one of the existing mozconfigs. Maybe the included openbsd config would be good to start with. It will also not build with gcc7 or newer, so make sure you have an older gcc installed. Let us know if you succeed.

I personally haven't tried building on anything other than OS X and Linux.

Cheers

Last edited:

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Hey Wick, how difficult might it be for a brainlet such as myself to compile AF for non SSE2 x86 processors on Linux? (Pentium iii, Athlon XP, etc..). I understand fiddling around with the .mozconfig will be necessary, but how much is there to do beyond that? The antiX Linux guys build Quantum for non SSE2 machines, but it is far too bloated for modestly clocked, single core processors.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It should be pretty straight forward. You'll need gcc6 or lower, development files like gtk2, yasm, libidl, autoconf2.13, etc. Check AF's repo, bottom of page, click how to build for Linux link. Install as much as you can that's related to debian. Then just tweak one of the included mozconfig to your liking. With any luck in a few hours you'll have a successful build.

Cheers

Last edited:

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
It should be pretty straight forward. You'll need gcc6 or lower, development files like gtk2, yasm, libidl, autoconf2.13, etc. Check AF's repo, bottom of page, click how to build for Linux link. Install as much as you can that's related to debian. Then just tweak one of the included mozconfig to your liking. With any luck in a few hours you'll have a successful build.

Cheers
Okay, how does this look?
Code:
MAKE_FLAGS
should be double the number of threads, correct?

Code:
# This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
# License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
# file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.

mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-s -j8"

ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --enable-mozril-geoloc
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --enable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/arcticfox
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-march=native -mfpmath=sse"

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Looks good to me. Now just ./mach build and cross your fingers and wait 2-10 hours (depending on specs of machine). If it builds, run ./mach run to test it, then ./mach package to pack it in to a nice self contained archive.

Edit: make sure you have 2gb ram minimum, or at least 1gb with 2gb or bigger swap file.

Cheers.

Reactions: sparty411 and z970

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Looks good to me. Now just ./mach build and cross your fingers and wait 2-10 hours (depending on specs of machine). If it builds, run ./mach run to test it, then ./mach package to pack it in to a nice self contained archive.

Edit: make sure you have 2gb ram minimum, or at least 1gb with 2gb or bigger swap file.

Cheers.
Thanks for your guidance. I'm building it with an Intel C2Q Q9400, with 8GB of RAM, so hopefully it shouldn't take too long :)

Reactions: wicknix and z970

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
[doublepost=1568774159][/doublepost]

Cheers.
You weren't kidding about the RAM requirement. It's eating up nearly 5GB at the moment.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Yeah, the more you have the more it'll eat when compiling. That's not a bad thing though. ;)

Cheers
Well, that was fast. It's remarkably slow, though.. Is it due to the fact that I'm running it from
Code:
./mach run
And where in the world does it spit the packaged archive out at? After I do
Code:
./mach package

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-09-17 22-51-00.png
    Screenshot from 2019-09-17 22-51-00.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It will reside in /obj-xxx/dist
Yeah without an ad blocker MR will be slow from ./mach run with a scratch profile, or your optimize flags are wonky.

Cheers
[doublepost=1568776426][/doublepost]Now the trick will be building it for 32-bit for your desired targets. On my G5 which uses a 64-bit kernel i have to tell it to build for 32-bit in mozconfig by adding: ac_add_options --target=powerpc-linux-gnu (you'll probably want something like i386-linux-gnu or similar). You may also need to specify gcc -m32 and g++ -m32. To clean the working directory run ./mach clobber then you can ./mach build again.

This might be of interest also:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US...Compiling_32-bit_Firefox_on_a_Linux_64-bit_OS
See this mozconfig for reference to cross build on 64-bit for 32-bit:
https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/blob/master/mozcfg-ppc64toppc32

Cheers

Last edited:

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
It will reside in /obj-xxx/dist
Yeah without an ad blocker MR will be slow from ./mach run with a scratch profile, or your optimize flags are wonky.

Cheers
[doublepost=1568776426][/doublepost]Now the trick will be building it for 32-bit for your desired targets. On my G5 which uses a 64-bit kernel i have to tell it to build for 32-bit in mozconfig by adding: ac_add_options --target=powerpc-linux-gnu (you'll probably want something like i386-linux-gnu or similar). You may also need to specify gcc -m32 and g++ -m32. To clean the working directory run ./mach clobber then you can ./mach build again.

This might be of interest also:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US...Compiling_32-bit_Firefox_on_a_Linux_64-bit_OS
See this mozconfig for reference to cross build on 64-bit for 32-bit:

Cheers
I'm running into compiler errors now after adding the gcc -m32 and g++ -m32 bits. I've done some digging around, in an effort to find the mozconfig Steve Pusser used back when he did the Pale Moon 27 no SSE builds, but I can't seem to find anything. I'm gonna fiddle around with it more tomorrow. I really appreciate the help!

Pipeline79

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Hi again,
I'm trying this on NetBSD instead at the moment, as FreeBSD requires you build X windows yourself, which was taking ages.
I think I've managed to install everything needed with pkgsrc from the list for gentoo. But pkgsrc has it's own directory structure.
I cloned the repo into home.
I had to tell the .mozconfig where GCC6 was as system GCC is 7 or something. The first time, before I modified this, it just used the system GCC, but strangely it took longer to fail.

Here's the config at the moment:

Code:
# This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
# License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
# file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.

export CC="/usr/pkg/gcc6/bin/gcc -flax-vector-conversions -O3 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec -mabi=altivec -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16 -falign-jumps=16"
export CXX="/usr/pkg/gcc6/bin/g++ -flax-vector-conversions -fpermissive -O3 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec -mabi=altivec -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16 -falign-jumps=16"
export LDFLAGS="-latomic"

mk_add_options AUTOCONF=/usr/pkg/bin/autoconf-2.13
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-s -j2"
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/obj-ff-dbg

ac_add_options --libdir=/usr/pkg/lib
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --enable-mozril-geoloc
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --enable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/arcticfox
ac_add_options --enable-optimize

But here's the errors, after about 5 minutes it fails. I think this is the relevant part:

Code:
4:39.00 In file included from /home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/obj-ff-dbg/dist/include/nspr/prthread.h:46:0,
 4:39.00                  from /home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/obj-ff-dbg/dist/include/nspr/prinit.h:9,
 4:39.00                  from /home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/nsprpub/pr/src/io/prpolevt.c:23:
 4:39.00 /home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/obj-ff-dbg/dist/include/nspr/prtypes.h:436:9: error: unknown type name 'size_t'
 4:39.00  typedef size_t PRSize;
 4:39.00          ^~~~~~
 4:39.00 /home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/obj-ff-dbg/dist/include/nspr/prtypes.h:453:9: error: unknown type name 'ptrdiff_t'
 4:39.00  typedef ptrdiff_t PRPtrdiff;
 4:39.00          ^~~~~~~~~
 4:39.00 gmake[9]: *** [/home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/nsprpub/config/rules.mk:447: prpolevt.o] Error 1
 4:39.00 gmake[8]: *** [/home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/nsprpub/config/rules.mk:163: export] Error 2
 4:39.00 gmake[7]: *** [/home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/nsprpub/config/rules.mk:163: export] Error 2
 4:39.01 gmake[6]: *** [/home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/nsprpub/config/rules.mk:163: export] Error 2
 4:39.01 gmake[5]: *** [Makefile:38: export] Error 2
 4:39.01 gmake[4]: *** [/home/kevin/Arctic-Fox-27.9.18/config/recurse.mk:82: config/external/nspr/export] Error 2
 4:39.01 gmake[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

The configure stage works, but this is pretty much the beginning of the build stage. So hopefully there's something simple wrong.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
The only thing i see that could be causing it is : --libdir=/usr/pkg/lib in your mozconfig.
Generally you want to use whats in the source tree and not link to system libs. I'd comment out that line and retry.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.