Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinterClaws

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
And forgive me but that brings up one more peeve. Extensions on extensions on extensions. Endless solutions pushing one extension or add-on after another. I myself do not run extensions. Not only do they almost invariably exacerbate problems and troubleshooting the more of them you have (darned if you do, darned if you don't), but having been in tech for three-odd decades, InfoSec for half that time, and more than enough firsthand negative experience with Firefox and Chrome "extensions", I've seen enough to be wary of plugins and extensions, no matter how well-regarded they are. No wait, scratch that...quite often in inverse proportion to their regard/popularity.

Shorter answer: no "extensions" for me thanks. And frankly, nothing we've mentioned (least of all something as basic as enabling/disabling javascript) should come anywhere close to requiring any.
[automerge]1575500117[/automerge]
Privacy / Script block add-ons found here: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/
Use the versions compatible with v27.

Just tested browser.showQuitWarning and it works on my end.
You probably have a rogue add-on breaking things. Try a new profile and narrow down which one is causing your issues.

I have no add-ons installed whatsoever. I'm using plain AF 27.9.18 64-bit, on OS X 10.6.8. The only thing showing in the add-ons window is "Java Applet Plug-In 13.9.8", under "Plugins".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: z970 and sparty411

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Well then you have your answer as to why you have 100% cpu usage. By not blocking at least ads, you are wasting cpu cycles and letting JavaScript, malware, etc run wild on an outdated OS with an outdated browser engine. No offense, but that's like going to the north pole naked and expecting your skin keep you warm. If you aren't going to in the least bit "dress" the browser to help out on the modern web, then you're on your own.

Cheers

Last edited:

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
And forgive me but that brings up one more peeve. Extensions on extensions on extensions. Endless solutions pushing one extension or add-on after another. I myself do not run extensions. Not only do they almost invariably exacerbate problems and troubleshooting the more of them you have (darned if you do, darned if you don't), but having been in tech for three-odd decades, InfoSec for half that time, and more than enough firsthand negative experience with Firefox and Chrome "extensions", I've seen enough to be wary of plugins and extensions, no matter how well-regarded they are. No wait, scratch that...quite often in inverse proportion to their regard/popularity.

Shorter answer: no "extensions" for me thanks. And frankly, nothing we've mentioned (least of all something as basic as enabling/disabling javascript) should come anywhere close to requiring any.
[automerge]1575500117[/automerge]

I have no add-ons installed whatsoever. I'm using plain AF 27.9.18 64-bit, on OS X 10.6.8. The only thing showing in the add-ons window is "Java Applet Plug-In 13.9.8", under "Plugins".
I really hope this is satire.

Reactions: RobJos

WinterClaws

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
Well then you have your answer as to why you have 100% cpu usage. By not blocking at least ads, you are wasting cpu cycles and letting JavaScript, malware, etc run wild on an outdated OS with an outdated browser engine. No offense, but that's like going to the north pole naked and expecting your skin keep you warm. If you aren't going to in the least bit "dress" the browser to help out on the modern web, then you're on your own.

Oh. I can't believe that answer from you of all people, nor how this thread has gone. Something very wrong here. If this has to come to this, and force reconsidering AF in any capacity going forward, so be it. But to answer your frankly offensive brushing-aside response:

- I use Little Snitch to block ads and whatever else I deem undesirable. So in fact I see few to none, without being foolhardy enough to hand over the reins of part of the browser's back-end to effectively-unknown developers of "ad blockers". The dangers/reality of "ad blockers", specifically in terms of what they are doing behind your back (ironically with "privacy" most of all), are something it seems too disturbingly many have no awareness about.
- There is no and never will be any malware on my machine. The browser runs under a low-privilege account, the same one all the other browsers (that behave fine) run on. I also have two firewalls, one on the machine proper, another on the network, and I keep both fine-tuned manually.

Since you are intentionally pushing artificial needless offense/conflict (basic options I am asking about like javascript-disabling should not require ad-block "extensions"!), avoiding the seeming issue with the shutdown warning, as well as avoiding the key question I've asked twice already (why AF continues to run scripts after the tab/windows are closed), it's unfortunately clear that you're just trying to avoid continuing this exchange. Something very wrong. Very well...simple enough and done. I won't bother with this any further but find this more than regrettable (and baffling) considering the regard I had for you and this browser/work up to now.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It's an old browser. What do you expect? Chrome 1000 compatibility? The rendering and javascript backend are outdated. As stated all we can do is bug fixes and relevant security updates. It's a 2 man show btw. Not some multi-million dollar company with hundreds of employees. The AF wiki clearly states:
Arctic Fox is released "as-is" with the hope that it will be useful. As such, there is no warranty of any kind.
I wish you luck, but as much as i love snow leopard, web browsing on it is coming to an abrupt end soon. Might want to install a VM and use a current linux browser sooner than later.

Cheers

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
So in fact I see few to none, without being foolhardy enough to hand over the reins of part of the browser's back-end to effectively-unknown developers of "ad blockers". The dangers/reality of "ad blockers", specifically in terms of what they are doing behind your back (ironically with "privacy" most of all), are something it seems too disturbingly many have no awareness about.

Although unlikely in actuality, I can completely see where you're coming from, WinterClaws. I can't believe I myself hadn't thought of that before... Though this makes me glad that I now primarily use hosts files as opposed to browser addons. :)

@wicknix To be fair, do you have any comment at all as to why AF (apparently) continues any activity after the browser is closed? Were you previously aware of this, and can you replicate this on your end?

And as it would actually be very useful on our old machines, would it be possible to offer built-in JavaScript whitelisting, similar to Classilla? Could this be taken care of within about:config, similarly to site-specific user agents? - At a glance, it may even be a simple addition, if not already present...

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Well, in OS X "closed" and "quit" are 2 different things. Closed simply closes the window, but the app still runs in the background. Going to the menu bar and clicking AF -> Quit AF (or command+Q) does just that and kills it. So, no, once it's "quit" it does not show up in resource monitor or htop on my end. I can't replicate, unless it's just "closed".

As for the whitelisting, maybe? I'll mention it to Riccardo.

Cheers

Might want to install a VM and use a current linux browser sooner than later.
Which is what I've been doing with those sites that won't work properly in AF, using latest Firefox and Opera. One of these days I'll try with Brave. But... at least in Lubuntu/VirtualBox under 10.6.8 — talk of CPU usage!!! [Tip: if for some reason you can have VB running in the background, try putting any open browser window in what in Linux is the equivalent of the Dock: CPU usage on the Mac will drop immensely]
[automerge]1575539862[/automerge]
Well, in OS X "closed" and "quit" are 2 different things. Closed simply closes the window, but the app still runs in the background. Going to the menu bar and clicking AF -> Quit AF (or command+Q) does just that and kills it. So, no, once it's "quit" it does not show up in resource monitor or htop on my end. I can't replicate, unless it's just "closed".
Having the Activity Monitor as a startup item and constantly under watch, I've never ever seen any “residue” after Quitting AF. And Closing AF cannot happen if you've got Pin Tabs. But then maybe some people have it with Pin Tabs as with extensions...
[automerge]1575540228[/automerge]
[Re: The only thing showing in the add-ons window is "Java Applet Plug-In 13.9.8", under "Plugins"]
I really hope this is satire.
Yes, with a pedigree (CV?) such as “having been in tech for three-odd decades, InfoSec for half that time”, I think it's rather preposterous.

Last edited:
Reactions: z970 and wicknix
Oh. I can't believe that answer from you of all people, nor how this thread has gone. Something very wrong here. If this has to come to this, and force reconsidering AF in any capacity going forward, so be it. But to answer your frankly offensive brushing-aside response:

- I use Little Snitch to block ads and whatever else I deem undesirable. So in fact I see few to none, without being foolhardy enough to hand over the reins of part of the browser's back-end to effectively-unknown developers of "ad blockers". The dangers/reality of "ad blockers", specifically in terms of what they are doing behind your back (ironically with "privacy" most of all), are something it seems too disturbingly many have no awareness about.
- There is no and never will be any malware on my machine. The browser runs under a low-privilege account, the same one all the other browsers (that behave fine) run on. I also have two firewalls, one on the machine proper, another on the network, and I keep both fine-tuned manually.

Since you are intentionally pushing artificial needless offense/conflict (basic options I am asking about like javascript-disabling should not require ad-block "extensions"!), avoiding the seeming issue with the shutdown warning, as well as avoiding the key question I've asked twice already (why AF continues to run scripts after the tab/windows are closed), it's unfortunately clear that you're just trying to avoid continuing this exchange. Something very wrong. Very well...simple enough and done. I won't bother with this any further but find this more than regrettable (and baffling) considering the regard I had for you and this browser/work up to now.
Some like to rant, others try to be constructive. Suggestions are made to help you, which you just discard or don't even take into consideration. If this was a political forum, I'd be close to calling your attitude trolling. Meanwhile, wicknix's metaphor about the North Pole should put the last nail in this coffin. And please wicknix, don't let people try and demoralise you… by all means keep on with the good work!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I think if @wicknix has some time to spend on a software project like this, maybe we could make a poll to ask if there are enough supporters for keeping Arctic Fox updated by paying some kind of fee.

Reactions: RobJos

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'm not a fan of donations. As soon as somebody sends you .99 cents they feel they deserve 100% lifetime support. I've read enough play store / app store reviews to know better..lol.

I'm not saying AF updates will stop any time soon, just that the web is moving forward, and AF's code base is getting older day by day. It will eventually not work properly, if at all, on various sites. However if we hard code a global mobile user agent in to it like Classilla, we might get a few more years out of it.

Cheers

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
Arctic Fox is released "as-is" with the hope that it will be useful. As such, there is no warranty of any kind.

Hi @wicknix

I totally agree with that !

I've been using it "as-is" from the beginning and it does the job every day as my default browser.

Some rare problems occur but I consider there are due to sites writen with the feet or/and with not any consideration for "old" users/machines.

Thank you again for your job that maintain my dear configuration !

Cheers

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
So true, especially on the internet. However, rants have no acceptable place toward those who are providing a service free of charge. I can never understand how someone can get angry about something they're getting for nothing. Guess that's my rant. ?

I've had the same issue with the Tiger Sierra theme that was released a few years ago. I've gotten private messages through YouTube, ranting about how it sucks because it didn't theme this app or that app, and changing icons is "too hard", the font change doesn't make it look exactly like Sierra, etc, and that they're no longer going to use it because it doesn't do what they feel that they're entitled for it to do. I just tell them, "Well, then you got exactly what you paid for!"

Panji Lenggari Pangestu

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
Check my blog for its link and other stuff. Most link back to this forums powerpc threads. https://randommacstuff.blogspot.com/p/powerpc-mac.html

Cheers

Hallo, i like Spiderweb browser and i had set it up as my default browser but i got difficult when i will open new tab and closed tab. because the button are in the left side and another one at the right side for close tab. the things i did is right click and then choose new tab and close tab. and when i will search after click new tab, i should click input search form for writing the address. so for a few times i set Arctic Fox as my default browser.
thank you Wicknix

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
27.9.19 is released. Change log here: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/releases/tag/v27.9.19
Download here: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki/Downloads

Some OS X users may encounter startup crashes. If this happens, backup, then move your default profile somewhere safe, then start AF again. Once it launches with a new profile, close it, then copy the contents of your old profile to the new profile. This doesn't happen on Linux/BSD or Win32. Sorry for the inconvenience. We are looking in to what user-set pref is the cause.

Cheers

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm not a fan of donations. As soon as somebody sends you .99 cents they feel they deserve 100% lifetime support.

I've always sent donations (and appreciative emails) without any agenda but to express my gratitude to the programmers for providing software that I've enjoyed using and was helpful to me. It's a shame that others take the view that it entitles them to have people at their beck and call.

Reactions: z970

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
@wicknix

27.9.19 32-bit runs perfectly from now :)

Things occured as you said, 5 launchs to obtain the dialog box to reset the preferences and that's it.

Usually I disable all add-ons before launching a new version, it wasn't enough.

Reset the preferences is OK and a good opportunity to check the configuration, the "old" profile is still working.

Thanks again for your work, the change log gives an idea of what it represents even I don't understand most all the lines.

Cheers

Reactions: wicknix

snowy moon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Northern Europe
27.9.19 is released.

Some OS X users may encounter startup crashes. If this happens, backup, then move your default profile somewhere safe, then start AF again. Once it launches with a new profile, close it, then copy the contents of your old profile to the new profile.

Wow, what a huge change log, truly impressive!!

Unfortunately I don't get neither 27.9.19 64bit Intel OSX 10.6 nor 32bit version to launch on my OS X 10.6.5. Be it with given profile or without, be it launch attempt through command line into scratch profile. CL always says: "Illegal instruction". Despite many many force reopenings, no dialog for resetting prefs came up.

No luck here (64-bit, 10.6.8) either, wicknix. Here's the sequence, hopefully it'll help you find the culprit.

1. 1st launch --> crash

2. Removed working profile from App. Support/AF/Profiles folder

3. Launched --> message: “Profile not found” --> AF quits

4. Removed whole AF folder from App. Support

5. Launched --> crash (¡!¿?)

6. Re-launched --> new, default profile created

7. Replaced contents of new profile with contents of old one [**: noticed that this gave 70 items instead of the original 67 — couldn't see offhand which ones they were, didn't check]

8. Launched --> crash immediately after extension-checking routine

9. Repeat 2-3 times, then --> AF asks whether to start in Safe Mode

10. OK --> crash

11. Re-launch --> asks to start in Safe Mode --> OK --> crash

Gave up, now back to .18. I'm a bit short on time to start checking one by one extensions, pref panels and other stuff. It's not like I understand much of anything, but this sequence, especially the crash at [5] above — before, or while creating a new App. Support folder, seems to me to indicate that the issue is not related to the contents of the working profile.

If you wish I can mail you the last crash report separately. Or anything else you might find useful, including finding out which 3 items were created in the new default profile that weren't there in the original working one.

Robert

Last edited:

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
In the dialog box the choice to do is reset all preferences, not safe mode.
I just followed wicknix instructions.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@madbiker31 : Glad you got the same results that we did. Quick profile prefs reset and all is good.

@Jeroen Diederen : Here you go : https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/archive/v27.9.19.tar.gz

@snowy moon : Bummer. You are still on 10.6.3 or something other than 10.6.8 correct? EDIT: just noticed 10.6.5. Any reason why you can't/haven't updated to .8?

@RobJos : Very baffling. Even more baffling is why it only happens on OS X for some people, but not all, and has no issue on linux/bsd/win32. Feel free to inbox me anything you might feel is helpful. Also same as above.. any reason you stuck with 10.6.6?

As always, if needed, older release binaries can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O4I0v611mNdkXPMZs4xI4qWUhXqGzPJb if you happen to be one of the unlucky ones that can't run 27.9.19.

Cheers

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Even more baffling is why it only happens on OS X for some people, but not all, and has no issue on linux/bsd/win32.

OpenBSD?

Could you tell me where to find this binary for PPC or x86 BSD if one exists?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.