Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I see a greyed out link at the bottom of thread posts (below “show ignored content”) that says “show hidden low quality content”.

I’m guessing that may relate to a new thumbs-down reaction? It’s been requested a lot, it would be interesting to see how it might work out.

Spoiler: if my posts are deemed low quality, it is not working out well :( ;) ?

P.S. Why is the crying laughing emoji so small? lol

Reactions: bobob and sman789

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Spoiler: if my posts are deemed low quality, it is not working out well :( ;) ?
What would make you think that way? I can understand criticism, but we must be careful not to base our identity on the reactions of others. Basing our identity on the reactions of others can put others in charge of our happiness and that is dangerous because we'll end up living our lives for someone else. Your value as a human being isn't based on the opinions of other human beings. If we were all meant to be identical we'd all have the same fingerprints.

If these forums do implement a way to hide low quality content, I hope they also implement a way for each of us to turn that setting off if we so desire. Disagreement has the potential to initiate change. Hiding everything a person doesn't agree with can stunt growth and the pursuit of maturity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple_Robert

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
What would make you think that way? I can understand criticism, but we must be careful not to base our identity on the reactions of others. Basing our identity on the reactions of others can put others in charge of our happiness and that is dangerous because we'll end up living our lives for someone else. Your value as a human being isn't based on the opinions of other human beings. If we were all meant to be identical we'd all have the same fingerprints.

If these forums do implement a way to hide low quality content, I hope they also implement a way for each of us to turn that setting off if we so desire. Disagreement has the potential to initiate change. Hiding everything a person doesn't agree with can stunt growth and the pursuit of maturity.
I don’t; it was a joke. How did you miss the wink and the laugh: ;) ?

And “a person” doesn’t hide everything they disagree with; it’s a collective rating by all forum participants who might vote. If 25 members “thumbs down” the 400,000th posting of “courage” or “Believe me, Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave” and that post gets hidden, I’m ok with that.

But if content is being hidden that I don’t consider to be low quality, that would not be desirable. I assume a member will be able to toggle this feature; why would it not be optional, like using the ignore list.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I don’t; it was a joke. How did you miss the wink and the laugh: ;) ?
Sorry, I didn't get the joke. I missed it.. my bad :(

And “a person” doesn’t hide everything they disagree with; it’s a collective rating by all forum participants who might vote. If 25 members “thumbs down” the 400,000th posting of “courage” or “Believe me, Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave” and that post gets hidden, I’m ok with that.
It would depend on when the content is hidden. Is it hidden before you are able to see it, or after? What if that content is hidden prior to your arrival because the 25 people before you teamed up and decided that they don't want others reading the content? This is one reason that negative-based rating systems are bad.. it almost always gets controlled by the "my camp vs your camp" folks. Or, in the case of forums like these.. "apple lovers vs apple haters".

I assume a member will be able to toggle this feature; why would it not be optional, like using the ignore list.
Hopefully, that is how it will work. Too many people try to protect others from what they feel is a bad thing, but they never realize their idea of "bad" is just an opinion and could differ greatly from the next person.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Sorry, I didn't get the joke. I missed it.. my bad :(
Maybe because it wasn’t really all that funny lol. No worries.

It would depend on when the content is hidden. Is it hidden before you are able to see it, or after? What if that content is hidden prior to your arrival because the 25 people before you teamed up and decided that they don't want others reading the content? This is one reason that negative-based rating systems are bad.. it almost always gets controlled by the "my camp vs your camp" folks. Or, in the case of forums like these.. "apple lovers vs apple haters".
I hear you. Ideally the knee-jerk hyperpartisans cancel each other out and those in the moderate middle will prevail. It might end up being a failed experiment however.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I am completely against a thumbs down button, and even against the thumbs up button too. These features are why Reddit is an absolute cesspool for all but the most banal discussions. They just encourage groupthink, bandwagoning, and trying to please the mob to compete for the most likes, upvotes, or whatever.

If you like or dislike a post, say something in response. Put your thoughts into words. Forums are useless without discussion.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am completely against a thumbs down button, and even against the thumbs up button too. These features are why Reddit is an absolute cesspool for all but the most banal discussions. They just encourage groupthink, bandwagoning, and trying to please the mob to compete for the most likes, upvotes, or whatever.

If you like or dislike a post, say something in response. Put your thoughts into words. Forums are useless without discussion.

Agreed.

When the forum had the old "down vote" it led to an exceptionally negative - and sometimes, quite nastily unnecessary - tone being taken in some discussions.

Agree also, that it is better to articulate or express in words why you dislike (or like) something rather than secreting a post behind the cloaked dislike of the "down button" or a 'thumbs down'.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
When the forum had the old "down vote" it led to an exceptionally negative - and sometimes, quite nastily unnecessary - tone being taken in some discussions.

Yes. Or even more annoyingly, people then posting asking why they'd been downvoted, inviting more pity and scorn. Mod clean-up in aisle three.

In News threads, the upvotes with being able to filter/sort the thread by 'most liked' can be a valuable way of sorting through the chaff, I find.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes. Or even more annoyingly, people then posting asking why they'd been downvoted, inviting more pity and scorn. Mod clean-up in aisle three.

In News threads, the upvotes with being able to filter/sort the thread by 'most liked' can be a valuable way of sorting through the chaff, I find.

Agreed.

I have long thought that the down vote gave rise to far more negativity (and downright nastiness) than was necessary or warranted by whatever the content of the thread in question actually was.

And it also seemed to generate a sort of acceleration of a negative and profoundly unpleasant tone in certain threads, as well.

Disagreement and even heated (as long as it is respectful) disagreement as part of a discussion is fine, and is one thing, but the sheer negativity that used to attend the down vote was something that detracted from the overall atmosphere of the threads and forum, to my mind.

Reactions: revmacian

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd rather see thumbs down than the 'love' emoji. We're not 12. There's never been a post that I wanted to use that emoji.

Right? Unfortunately, we live in a world now where others communicate using emoji’s for just about everything (Kinda like hieroglyphics), which I do find childish with the various one like you mentioned. This new ‘reaction’ implementation makes me think of Facebook in some ways. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with expressing an emoji at the end of a paragraph/last sentence, and I realize they’re made to be ‘fun’, but I realize everybody has a different mindset of how we want to communicate, and using emoji‘s in place of words seems sorta juvenile, but it is what it is.

Anyways, as for the ‘down-vote button’....bad idea. It Doesn’t add _any_ value to anything, I don’t think we need emojis of any sort personally, when someone can just agree/disagree by either replying with their own sentiments or not at all.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The first 2 are graphics (which come from the 'Smilies' section of the emoji dropdown), the 3rd one is a character based emoji.

FWIW, since it's a, extended text character, you can use the font size control to make it bigger, like so:
?
Interesting! I pick them all from the drop down and didn’t realize there was a difference between the Smilies section and the ones below.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it :)

Reactions: D.T. and autrefois

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate

We can't reply with just an emoji though and some trolly responses don't deserve more than that. I don't like up/down votes and visibility changes but I'd use eyeroll a lot on these forums for all the "courage", head phone jack, apple is doomed, where's my Nvidia, steve jobs never would have, etc... type posts. I'd like to see every emote and emoji available for reactions much like Discord. Lacking that I'll take a thumbs down.
[automerge]1573856807[/automerge]
Right? Unfortunately, we live in a world now where others communicate using emoji’s for just about everything (Kinda like hieroglyphics), which I do find childish with the various one like you mentioned. This new ‘reaction’ implementation makes me think of Facebook in some ways. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with expressing an emoji at the end of a paragraph/last sentence, and I realize they’re made to be ‘fun’, but I realize everybody has a different mindset of how we want to communicate, and using emoji‘s in place of words seems sorta juvenile, but it is what it is.

Anyways, as for the ‘down-vote button’....bad idea. It Doesn’t add _any_ value to anything, I don’t think we need emojis of any sort personally, when someone can just agree/disagree by either replying with their own sentiments or not at all.

:rolleyes: ?? ?

?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.