Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
Is there such a thing as an open source ASP .NET e-commerce starter kit? I know it's unlikely, but you never know... I'm not a big fan of PHP. thanks

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
superbovine said:
i'd hope someone who is able to code to figure out to google his answer especially for something like an asp shopping cart....
:eek: true, sorry about the laziness. I couldn't find anything worthwile so I thought it'd be good to get some advice from the good people at MR. The problem with googling "ASP .NET shopping cart" is that the first 1000 pages or so will be about non-free stuff. Adding "open source" or "free" didn't improve the results that much either. I think I'm going to give PHP another shot since there's tons of open source stuff for it.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
floyde said:
:eek: true, sorry about the laziness. I couldn't find anything worthwile so I thought it'd be good to get some advice from the good people at MR. The problem with googling "ASP .NET shopping cart" is that the first 1000 pages or so will be about non-free stuff. Adding "open source" or "free" didn't improve the results that much either. I think I'm going to give PHP another shot since there's tons of open source stuff for it.

well if you did look :p

http://sourceforge.net

why do you want to use asp.net and take the extra cost in sql server and windows 2003... you could get web server addition which is cheaper, but you can't beat the linux price, unless you are using shared hosting then your cost is about the same. all you have to do is hope a worm doesn't take out your database or your web server :p

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
superbovine said:
well if you did look :p

http://sourceforge.net

why do you want to use asp.net and take the extra cost in sql server and windows 2003...
The main reason is that I already have a lot of .NET code that could be useful for web development. I'm not using windows or sql server though. I'm trying out Mono's ASP .NET and I've already ported some of my code to Mono and to MySql. But in spite of this, I don't have much experience with web apps so I would feel much better if I could take a look at what other people have already done. I have decent-enough skills to build the shopping cart, but I've no clue about security issues, so that I would like to learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.