Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
How much would you pay someone who is selling their grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan for $29.99/month for the iPad with unthrottled, unmetered LTE speeds? I have seen them going for over $1,000 regularly on eBay, and am wondering if this is worth it, or if it's outrageous.

Please note: the question in the poll is asking how much you would pay to buy this type of account from someone, not how much you would pay on a monthly basis.

Last edited:

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
How much would you pay someone who is selling their grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan for $29.99/month for the iPad with unthrottled, unmetered LTE speeds? I have seen them going for over $1,000 regularly on eBay, and am wondering if this is worth it, or if it's outrageous.

Please note: the question in the poll is asking how much you would pay to buy this type of account from someone, not how much you would pay on a monthly basis.

I see nothing outrageous about it. Unlimited data plans with no throttling have become quite a commodity since the carriers dumped them so they can charge more $$$. Even cable providers like Time Warner used have one speed - fast as hell - and you could use as much data as you want. Now, they ask - how much do you want to spend? The size of your bank account will determine the speed of your connection. This means poor people will suffer the most as they have less $$$ to spend than wealthy ones. Typical I guess.

I have several unlimited data plans and I will keep them active at any cost. I can tell you that having an iPad would be substantially less enjoyable if I had to worry about a data cap. In fact I probably would not have one. But being in the healthcare business, iPads are being used more and more in clinical settings - so for me it is a proverbial gold mine. Thank Apple for that one and the many clinical apps we have that make patient safety a top priority while still delivering cost effective healthcare.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Yeah, I saw one on eBay also going for $999.
I have an unlimited plan on my iPhone, but I never knew that an unlimited plan was offered for iPads. I guess I didn't own one then. Right now I'm sharing six gigs with my wife at like $40 a month. That is more than ample for me - of course I can't stream Netflix over LTE, but that's about the only thing I can't do. So no, I would not pay that much money for that plan however maybe others have a use for that much data.
With my iPhone however they do bridal me after five gigs but I've only reached five gigs twice in a three-year period. The question is, do they bridle the iPads after reaching five gigs also? I bet they do, thus making it definitely not worth the thousand bucks.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
The question is, do they bridle the iPads after reaching five gigs also? I bet they do, thus making it definitely not worth the thousand bucks.

That's the excellent deal about the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad - they do NOT throttle you, even after you surpass 5gb of usage. They do not throttle the AT&T iPad unlimited data plan at all, which makes it such an amazing plan!

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Yeah, I saw one on eBay also going for $999.
I have an unlimited plan on my iPhone, but I never knew that an unlimited plan was offered for iPads.

The data plan resides on the SIM card - not the device. Therefore you can use the SIM card interchangeably between a phone and iPad for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: slvrscoobie

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I have not been able to interchange my Sim cards between my iPhone 5 and my iPad Mini retina.
And, I just tried again. It won't happen for me.

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Back in February I bought an unlimited data plan off of ebay for $650 and I do not regret it at all. I have a 2 year old daughter who can watch her Disney movies on the go with the Disney anywhere app while we are on long road trips in the car. Having access to LTE with the ipad all the time without worrying about finding a wifi hotspot is great. Also most of the time public wifi is so slow it can't stream. I also use the ipad with slingplayer which is great when I am at the beach and want to watch a live sporting event or just something from the DVR. Not having to worry about being throttled and going over my data it is priceless in my case.

Reactions: capathy21

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Back in February I bought an unlimited data plan off of ebay for $650 and I do not regret it at all. I have a 2 year old daughter who can watch her Disney movies on the go with the Disney anywhere app while we are on long road trips in the car. Having access to LTE with the ipad all the time without worrying about finding a wifi hotspot is great. Also most of the time public wifi is so slow it can't stream. I also use the ipad with slingplayer which is great when I am at the beach and want to watch a live sporting event or just something from the DVR. Not having to worry about being throttled and going over my data it is priceless in my case.

Ok, looking at it from your prospective, it would be nice.
Personally, I wouldn't use it to its full potential.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007

Sounds like you got a great deal on one!

ian1ian1

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
It's worth it

I've had the unlimited iPad plan since it came out and recently purchased a second one for $1,100. We bought a vacation home where there are no broadband options other than satellite which is horrendous.

Think about it this way - AT&T has a data plan for their internet devices which runs $335 for 50gb of data. For many people as a primary home connection 50gb won't even touch what one needs in a month. So for an upfront cost at around $1,000 and $30 a month for truly unlimited unthrottled data it's a no brainier. Payback period on it is just over 3 months when compared to AT&T's 50gb plan.

And since these cards can be used in a Cradlepoint router to give wifi coverage to the whole home off of a card it becomes more like a cable modem option.

Now if you have a wired connection everywhere you are then it wouldn't be worth it but to those where broadband options are limited it becomes the only real choice.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I've had the unlimited iPad plan since it came out and recently purchased a second one for $1,100. We bought a vacation home where there are no broadband options other than satellite which is horrendous.

Think about it this way - AT&T has a data plan for their internet devices which runs $335 for 50gb of data. For many people as a primary home connection 50gb won't even touch what one needs in a month. So for an upfront cost at around $1,000 and $30 a month for truly unlimited unthrottled data it's a no brainier. Payback period on it is just over 3 months when compared to AT&T's 50gb plan.

And since these cards can be used in a Cradlepoint router to give wifi coverage to the whole home off of a card it becomes more like a cable modem option.

Now if you have a wired connection everywhere you are then it wouldn't be worth it but to those where broadband options are limited it becomes the only real choice.

Yup. The value is great with these plans. I try to explain that to justify the value. If anyone's interested I still am selling the plan.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
In a remote area, as your only option, I can see a real use for this. What data speeds can be achieved?
Can you get LTE in a LTE area with a LTE device?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
AT&T Unlimited Data Plan for iPad

In a remote area, as your only option, I can see a real use for this. What data speeds can be achieved?

Can you get LTE in a LTE area with a LTE device?

Att 4g lte.

Not sure why it'd have to be a remote area. If you're any type of data user it pays itself over many times. I use mine for netflix, hulu, hbo go, watching videos, etc. I use tetherme for hotspot. I used it while going on vacation to Florida. On the way and back my wife did schoolwork on her laptop while my kids played on our iPads. It's an awesome convenience.

Last edited:

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I did a trade with someone on craigslist and bought them an rMini from bestbuy in exchange for the unlimited plan. Seemed like a no brainer. I now have unlimited on my phone as well as my tablet.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I bought my plan from truefan31 just a few days ago on another forum.

I was talking with him and noticed that on my iPad Air in Settings > Cellular Data, when you click on View Account, it says "your account type does not support the view account feature". Does this message show up for anyone else who has an AT&T iPad unlimited LTE plan? I'm guessing it's nothing to be concerned about, as we can still view our data online at att.com/ipadlanding.

Did you have a regular att data plan before? I would recommend going to an att store and getting a new sim card as well as verifying your account login information.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
AT&T Unlimited Data Plan for iPad

I don't have that issue on my rmini. When I go to view account it takes a minute then I gotta login with my username/pw. But you're data should be good. If you want we can figure out why you're getting that. It's an issue with att. If you're still getting it after that we can give you a different new account if u want. But I know it's not affecting getting data. In the meantime you can just bookmark the login site for quick access.

When I sell plans I always suggest getting a brand new att sim and setting up new account info so there's no mixup if you were a previous att customer.

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I have two friends with unlimited data who are willing to sell me their att unlimited data for $300. Both of them have att mobile share so finding less need for their att iPad unlimited. They don't use more than 3-5g data

Honestly. $500 is fair price.

I would take them up on their $300 offer but i have an even better unlimited data plan. I use my spare Verizon line with unlimited lte data PLUS UNLIMITED HOTSPOT. So it only costs me $24 (after 20% discount) for data plus $10 for the extra line! Only $34 for verizon unlimited spare line.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I have two friends with unlimited data who are willing to sell me their att unlimited data for $300. Both of them have att mobile share so finding less need for their att iPad unlimited. They don't use more than 3-5g data

I would take them up on their $300 offer but i have an even better unlimited data plan. I use my spare Verizon line with unlimited lte data PLUS UNLIMITED HOTSPOT. So it only costs me $24 (after 20% discount) for data plus $10 for the extra line! Only $34 for verizon unlimited spare line.

Honestly 500 is really low market value for iPad unlimited data plans. You won't find them that cheap unless it is a friend. I agree if you don't use a lot if data it's not for you. But with att smartphone unlimited plans throttling after 5 gb, and att charging 50 for 5gb tablet plans and 10 extra each gig thereafter, the value of the iPad plans are extremely high.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I would just be careful about the location you are in. I live in Los Angeles and even with my unlimited I pad data plan. I have severe network congestion in my area which makes streaming, or anything video related almost impossible to watch.

I have to rely on my Verizon unlimited plan if I stream. If you can get it, jump on it. These things aren't going to be as affordable next year.

----------

I would just be careful about the location you are in. I live in Los Angeles and even with my unlimited I pad data plan. I have severe network congestion in my area which makes streaming, or anything video related almost impossible to watch. I still won't give it up even though I had quite a few people ask to take it off my hands. (Ya right). I'm hoping for att to move to band 4. And hope fully that will improve on my signal quality and speed.

I have to rely on my Verizon unlimited plan if I stream for the time being. If you can get it, jump on it. These things aren't going to be as affordable next year.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

All his talk about the unlimited plans that are truly unlimited has my attention finally. No, I don't use more than 5 gb per month on my unlimited grandfathered iPhone plan, but thats because I've been well trained - by ATT throttling me when I did - so I avoid video. Anyone that wants to sell one of the iPad plans, for three hundred dollars should send me a pm and we can talk.
I find that my ATT LTE connection on my iPad rMini is much faster than my wifi. Personal experience, backed up by speed tests have confirmed that fact, so yea, I'd be willing to buy.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
All his talk about the unlimited plans that are truly unlimited has my attention finally. No, I don't use more than 5 gb per month on my unlimited grandfathered iPhone plan, but thats because I've been well trained - by ATT throttling me when I did - so I avoid video. Anyone that wants to sell one of the iPad plans, for three hundred dollars should send me a pm and we can talk.

I find that my ATT LTE connection on my iPad rMini is much faster than my wifi. Personal experience, backed up by speed tests have confirmed that fact, so yea, I'd be willing to buy.

It's a great plan. Unfortunately you won't find these plans for that amount. On eBay if there are even any available they go for over 1k. I am selling a plan for around that amount as well based on what I know it's worth because it's worth it if you use data and don't want to worry about overages.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
It's a great plan. Unfortunately you won't find these plans for that amount. On eBay if there are even any available they go for over 1k. I am selling a plan for around that amount as well based on what I know it's worth because it's worth it if you use data and don't want to worry about overages.

I was simply responding to this:
"I would take them up on their $300 offer but i have an even better unlimited data plan."
I really didn't think it would happen, but hey, who knows, it may yet. :rolleyes:
I voted that I would not pay into the thousand dollar range for one of the sims. I'm not living on the net, nor do I watch movies or TV that much, but I would pay several hundred dollars for the convenience. I hope you get what you want for your card..

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I was simply responding to this:

"I would take them up on their $300 offer but i have an even better unlimited data plan."

I really didn't think it would happen, but hey, who knows, it may yet. :rolleyes:

I voted that I would not pay into the thousand dollar range for one of the sims. I'm not living on the net, nor do I watch movies or TV that much, but I would pay several hundred dollars for the convenience. I hope you get what you want for your card..

Oh ok lol sorry about that.

I use my rmini daily. Since it's jb I have movie box on there too. Watch movies, tv shows (Big Bang theory, etc). Usually I'm at the 30-40 gig range. I've gone over 100 gigs though. Using hotspot, kids watched movies, wife did schoolwork all in our minivan during a trip to Orlando. Then we used it at the parks and inside our villa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.