Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I have two of these original plans.. been using the crap out of them.. 100+ GB this month on each, both in hotspots.. No warning messages yet.

Guess the good 'old days of unfettered access are gone.

Reactions: baypharm

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Just noticed this on my AT&T Landing page. I don't think it showed use in the past??

upload_2017-6-3_12-30-54.jpeg

Last edited:

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
Just noticed this on my AT&T Landing page. I don't think it showed use in the past??

View attachment 702009

Hmmm... funny... I just check that web page for my grandfathered plan and I get the same info you are seeing. However, when I checked a few days ago, I could have sworn the text was different: underneath "Data Plan" had text about throttling after 22GB, but now it's gone.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I got the warning e-mail this evening at 16.5GB. I'll see if they actually throttle me after 22GB.

Are there alternatives where I can still get unthrottled unlimited data on a hotspot? I'm using a Unite Explore.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Interesting news here.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-brings-back-unlimited-tablet-plan-for-29-99month/

Looks like AT&T just relaunched these plans. Although couple things to consider from this article

1. Plan does not have auto renewal. So you have to pay each month manually. My grandfathered plans are setup for auto-pay
2. Since there's no contact or auto renewal, AT&T can discontinue at any time.
3. Article says no hotpot or tethering is allowed. My grandfathered sits in a Cradlepoint modem

Ethingnow

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
Have u gone over 22gb? For the month? I'm trying to see if anyone has been throttled after 22gb for month

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
I'm at 27.52 GB with 16 Days Left. I'm having issues streaming music in my car on the way home from work now and before I didn't. If I let it go with my phone's data no streaming issues.

Ethingnow

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
I'm at 27.52 GB with 16 Days Left. I'm having issues streaming music in my car on the way home from work now and before I didn't. If I let it go with my phone's data no streaming issues.

Are you referring to your tablet datA? Speed slow down in music streaming or your phone plan data

Reactions: BarryL

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
Are you referring to your tablet datA? Speed slow down in music streaming or your phone plan data
I'm talking my iPad Unlimited data plan that's in my Unite Explore. Using the same app and on my phone's data I can stream music no problems without a lot of buffering/pauses. Using my AT&T Unite Explore, I believe I'm now being throttled on my rush hour traffic drive home and it was streaming fine before I hit the limits.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I'm talking my iPad Unlimited data plan that's in my Unite Explore. Using the same app and on my phone's data I can stream music no problems without a lot of buffering/pauses. Using my AT&T Unite Explore, I believe I'm now being throttled on my rush hour traffic drive home and it was streaming fine before I hit the limits.
Are you throttled all the time now? Or, as they say, it depends on network congestion which implies once congestion eases, throttling is removed?

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012

Did you run a speedtest?
[doublepost=1496977969][/doublepost]
I'm over 55 gb and nothing.

I'm at 40GB with 24 days left, no issues here. In a Cradlepoint hotspot

Reactions: Truefan31

ian1ian1

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
I'm at 40gb in a Cradlepoint modem and only a few days in to billing cycle. When I hit 16gb I got the following email - but I have not been throttled or "deprioritized" yet. We live in a small town so there probably isn't much network congestion.

att warning.jpeg

Reactions: Truefan31

Whobarra

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
California
Recently made the switch to the new unlimited plans for the iPhone, and added my ipp for $20, only thing I dislike about the plans is that they discontinued the fan discount, was at 25%,but new plans are going good never have noticed any throttling and I easily hit 100gb a month across 4 devices my iPhone alone gets hit with 40-50gb I do get the message but have never noticed the throttling but then again I'm in a smaller market and work the night shift so who knows ?

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I hit 25 GB data usage this month on my iPad Pro with its grandfathered unlimited plan. I have noticed no throttling. It could be because of where I am using the iPad, maybe not on towers that have too much bandwidth.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Hopefully this is a good spot for my question, since everyone is talking about different unlimited data plans. I currently am on a family plan using about 16GB between 4 iPhones and 2 iPads although 1 iPad is literally only used for Square at work.

The wireless part of my bill(not DirecTV or Uverse) is just under $200. Our family is in 4 different houses paying around $50 each for Internet at each house. One house will need to keep Uverse, but if I add the other 3 to the Wireless I figure it's $350/month.

Does anyone know the actual price of the Unlimited plans for 4 phones, 2 iPads, and I think if we did this we would add 3 Hot Spots of some kind as we'd like an actual wifi network at the houses? And regarding the Hot Spots, I picked up and tried a Mobley for the Unlimited option and I tend to get under 10MB when on my iPhone I get 15+ using LTE. Is there a Hot Spot or something I can use that will get good speeds through LTE as opposed to the Mobley?

Brandon86

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
It's 29.99 a month for each plan, just add up how many you'd need. You can use any of the WiFi hotspots att has for sale, as well as some that other companies make, as long as they are designed for the proper bands. You can use a cradlepoint router for home WiFi and better speeds. However if the 10-15mbs is all you get signal wise where you live, it is probably not worth it. Depending on what you're using internet for mostly.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
It's 29.99 a month for each plan, just add up how many you'd need. You can use any of the WiFi hotspots att has for sale, as well as some that other companies make, as long as they are designed for the proper bands. You can use a cradlepoint router for home WiFi and better speeds. However if the 10-15mbs is all you get signal wise where you live, it is probably not worth it. Depending on what you're using internet for mostly.

The home Internet at these 3 houses range from 2/3 MB up to 10 MB. Thats why I am thinking of switching. And really no streaming video or anything, typically just surfing the web. Now it's not just $29.99 per device, it it $29.99 plus the initial plan? Is it correct I will lose the 23% FAN discount?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.