Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

Brandon86

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
You will lose the discount, it's not applicable to these plans is what I've heard. I'm not sure if there's a charge for initial plan, maybe someone else can chime in here??

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
You will lose the discount, it's not applicable to these plans is what I've heard. I'm not sure if there's a charge for initial plan, maybe someone else can chime in here??

Thanks

I think I’ll have to go to the AT&T store and my next day off, I can't seem to figure out what the actual price will be all said and done

Last edited:

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Never had any issues with my Explore. Does Netgear site offer any firmware?

No throttling so far for me.... My 2 iPad plans are doing 100+ GB per billing cycle.

Reactions: Truefan31

ian1ian1

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
I'm still putting through about 200+gb a month on my unlimited iPad plan and no real issues.

Brandon86

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I have been watching to see if there was any throttling on my iPad with the grandfathered unlimited plan. I've used ridiculous amounts of data (Just hand your iPad to a kid and leave for a seven hour drive.) and never seen a slow down.

Reactions: Truefan31

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I have been watching to see if there was any throttling on my iPad with the grandfathered unlimited plan. I've used ridiculous amounts of data (Just hand your iPad to a kid and leave for a seven hour drive.) and never seen a slow down.

They announced they would de-prioritize it after 22GB if necessary last year before I sold my plan. But since de-prioritize is different than a throttle down to, say, 128Kb, it might not even be noticeable depending on where/when you are.

I'm back to ATT Postpaid, and now have the $20+tax add-on for my unlimited plan. Unlimited, support for 10GB of hotspot on my iPad, so a better deal for me.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
They announced they would de-prioritize it after 22GB if necessary last year before I sold my plan. But since de-prioritize is different than a throttle down to, say, 128Kb, it might not even be noticeable depending on where/when you are.

I'm back to ATT Postpaid, and now have the $20+tax add-on for my unlimited plan. Unlimited, support for 10GB of hotspot on my iPad, so a better deal for me.

If I'm going to hotspot, I'll just do it from my iPhone. I like that my AT&T iPad 12.9" Pro is unlimited. Use all I want and don't worry about the gigabytes. That is why I keep the $30 plan.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
If I'm going to hotspot, I'll just do it from my iPhone. I like that my AT&T iPad 12.9" Pro is unlimited. Use all I want and don't worry about the gigabytes. That is why I keep the $30 plan.

The grandfathered unlimited plan is throttled at 22gigs, just like the new plan. With the hotspot on the phones, we found the iPad plans unnecessary so we cancelled all 4 of our plans.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
The grandfathered unlimited plan is throttled at 22gigs, just like the new plan. With the hotspot on the phones, we found the iPad plans unnecessary so we cancelled all 4 of our plans.

Actually, they said that the grandfathered unlimited plan would be de-prioritized after 22 gigabytes not throttled. I blow through 22 gigabytes within the first week of the month. I have not experienced throttling, yet. My iPad Pro is my media consumption device.

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
Would love a mini review of it sometime soon. Let us know if you have any issues with throwing the unlimited data plan SIM in it!

So I've been using the Netgear NightHawk M1 for about a month now. I do have the original iPad unlimited data plan SIM in it. If you already have the Unite Explorer, I would say pass on the M1. The 3x vs 4x Carrier Aggregation hasn't made much difference to me. Also the M1 is about 50% bigger than the Explorer and the M1 does not have any ruggedness or water resistance if you need it for like camping or using it in a rain storm. There is no touch screen, just a power button for on/off and everything is configured via the Netgear Mobile app or the http://attwifimanager web page. It also does not work in the DC112a dock/router. SO, what's so great about the M1? It features data-offloading via wired and WI-FI! This means that when I'm in range of my home or my work WiFi, without my devices changing SSID's, the M1 connects to those WiFi automatically and stops using my data plan. Although mine is unlimited, it's nice to have the hotspot switch to these broadband networks to get data instead of using the LTE when I'm in a known WiFi location. It decreases my usage on my plan, so if AT&T ever enforces data-tiering or caps it will be less likely to occur.

PRO-TIP: Before powering on or activating it for the first time, remove the SIM and don't put a SIM in it and go to the AT&T Device Unlock site and request it be unlocked via IMEI. I did this and they sent me the unlock code within a few hours. Then I stuck my sim in it and used the device.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I have not been able to interchange my Sim cards between my iPhone 5 and my iPad Mini retina.
And, I just tried again. It won't happen for me.
You need to use an APN changer on the device you are swapping the SIM with.

1. Go to https://www.unlockit.co.nz/fw/

2. Go to Create APN.

3. Choose AT&T (Broadband).

4. Install the configuration profile.

5. Restart.

You should now be able to use the iPad SIM in your iPhone.

Reactions: userjohn

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
So the AT&T iPad Unlimited plan for $29.99 is back. I popped in a virgin AT&T sim and it popped up with the option for monthly renewal at $29.99 plus tax. It seems the same as my OG iPad 3G plan right now.

Brandon86

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
Awesome. Mine have paid for themselves over multiple times or else I'd be bitter about them being back haha.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
This somewhat relates to iPad unlimited plans, for those who use in hotspots. AT&T could do the same on iPad plans.

Anyone have Mobley plans? I have two, no PIN lock yet for me.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-connected-car-mobley-sims-reporting-as-pin-locked/
I don’t know what is a Mobley plan but I used to have a Mobley that I moved the SIM into a Netgear MR1100 (“Nighthawk”). I seems they send me messages that they will throttle at 22GB though I’ve never seen it.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I don’t know what is a Mobley plan but I used to have a Mobley that I moved the SIM into a Netgear MR1100 (“Nighthawk”). I seems they send me messages that they will throttle at 22GB though I’ve never seen it.

Mobley is $20/mo connected car plan, designed for OBD II use and hotspot in car. SIM can be moved to another hotspot device or iPad. It’s essentially same as $29.95 unlimited iPad plans, but cheaper.

Let’s hope AT&T does not further enforce specific devices for specific plans.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Mobley is $20/mo connected car plan, designed for OBD II use and hotspot in car. SIM can be moved to another hotspot device or iPad. It’s essentially same as $29.95 unlimited iPad plans, but cheaper.

Let’s hope AT&T does not further enforce specific devices for specific plans.
AT&T does not have the ability to lock down the SIM on the iPad. The Mobley is a unique scenario where they control the firmware on the Mobley hotspot and can push out updates to essentially lock down the SIM. AT&T even has an online portal for the unlimited iPad plans where you can swap out the ICCID.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
AT&T does not have the ability to lock down the SIM on the iPad. The Mobley is a unique scenario where they control the firmware on the Mobley hotspot and can push out updates to essentially lock down the SIM. AT&T even has an online portal for the unlimited iPad plans where you can swap out the ICCID.

I know T-Mobile enforces their tablet plans on tablets only, won't work in hot spot. Let's hope AT&T does not try to do same.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I don't think Mobley is available in the U.S. At least I have not been able to find one. On another note, has anyone found their iPad to lose the ability to add data plans with AT&T or T-Mobile after the latest update? Mine has. Which has rendered it useless for cellular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.