Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehquionest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Dear all,
I need the help/advise from the community: I want to automatically copy a file located in a folder to another folder (on the same Mac) when this one has been modified only. If possible using an action folder. I found how to copy a file to a folder using Automator, but I can't find how to make this automatic...
Thank you all ;-)
Mark

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
When you start an Automator project, you can select Action Folder and then just choose the folder you want and set up the copy you want. Should work.

ehquionest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Well, the way I do it:
- Create a new Action Folder and I select the concerned folder (let's called it A)
- Add element "Get Finder Elements" => I select the file I want to copy in this folder A
- Add element "Copy Finder Element" => I select the destination folder (called B)
- Save
Then I click right on folder A, Services, Configure Action Folder, Confirm Launch Service, Active action (in the left Window I have folder A and in the right the script I created earlier.

BUT: this does not do an automatic copy when the file in folder A changes...

I need some help ;-)
Thank you

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
An Automator folder action doesn't trigger when a file changes, it triggers when something is added to the folder. There isn't anything in Automator that monitors file system changes. If you are just looking at copying files that have been changed, you might look at rsync (or an action that uses it).

Reactions: superscape
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.