Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
How can I setup all Unknown numbers to automatically divert to Voicemail?
Is there any way to do this?

So in other words, all numbers that I saved to my contacts I would pickup, but EXCEPT for unknown numbers.

If not possible, then suppose for example, my phone rings with an unknown number, how can I block it?

Because what I do, is I either let it ring until the unknown caller hangs up, or I would answer it then hang up on it.

Thanks

Reactions: jagooch

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How can I setup all Unknown numbers to automatically divert to Voicemail?
Is there any way to do this?

So in other words, all numbers that I saved to my contacts I would pickup, but EXCEPT for unknown numbers.

If not possible, then suppose for example, my phone rings with an unknown number, how can I block it?

Because what I do, is I either let it ring until the unknown caller hangs up, or I would answer it then hang up on it.

Thanks
The discussion in a similar recent thread at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/possible-to-hang-up-on-call-w-o-picking-up.2044858/ should be of some help.

Remember, you can always use the sleep/lock button to control incoming calls: one press to silence the ringing, or two presses to decline the call (and basically send it directly to voicemail).

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I suppose you could set your default ringtone to silent and use an app like GRingtones to set custom ringtones for all your contacts. This wouldn't prevent the call from coming in, though.

I use the button method mentioned above by "C DM".

My business number is a Google Voice number that forwards to my iPhone and I have a lot more control over this sort of thing. Random wrong number dials direct to my iPhone number can't be controlled with iOS, though.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
The discussion in a similar recent thread at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/possible-to-hang-up-on-call-w-o-picking-up.2044858/ should be of some help.

Remember, you can always use the sleep/lock button to control incoming calls: 1 press to silence the ringing, or 2 presses to decline the call (and basically send it directly to voicemail).
I didn't know that you could press numbers after pressing the lock button. I'll give that a try next time.

Currently what happens when I get the call is
  1. call comes in
  2. the phone app takes over the screen, blocking whatever work I was trying to get done
  3. the music I listen to while working stops to allow the call to ring
  4. I press the lock button
  5. ringing sounds stops but the phone app still controls my phone ( ie I cannot listen to music or use my apps )
Hopefully press 2 as mentioned above will stop the call and give me control of my phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I didn't know that you could press numbers after pressing the lock button. I'll give that a try next time.

Currently what happens when I get the call is
  1. call comes in
  2. the phone app takes over the screen, blocking whatever work I was trying to get done
  3. the music I listen to while working stops to allow the call to ring
  4. I press the lock button
  5. ringing sounds stops but the phone app still controls my phone ( ie I cannot listen to music or use my apps )
Hopefully press 2 as mentioned above will stop the call and give me control of my phone.
If you press the lock/sleep/side button the second time (basically press it twice) it will decline the call.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Update! I discovered that my carrier , T-mobile, has several services for blocking spam calls. I went all out and subscribed to their Name ID service. I researched some 3rd party apps like Nomorobo, but I decided to go with T-Mobile's service since none of them were rated highly. I might add more blocking services later.

Also, I did a trick that I saw in another thread, which was to create a contact "blocked user" and give them phone number 000-000-0000 . I then blocked that number in iOS . The theory is that that number matches "Unknown Caller" caller ID and will block calls from unknown numbers.

uocmohangngay

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.