Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Checking accounts I’ve had established for years. Chase, Wells Fargo and Capital One. Cap One for my eBay/online sales slush, WF for my mortgage, and Chase since it was WaMu.

The very first week I had Apple Card, my available balance always updated. After the first week, no longer.

Interesting.

Then I got nothing. All of my test runs to make sure everything is setup correctly worked fine for me on my first try. Paid off half the balance, it went through, and the limit went up by that amount( Bank of America didn't show it until next day). Transferred Daily Cash to BoA, no problem( again showed the next day). Paid off some of the balance using Daily Cash, no problem. Paid the rest of it off yesterday, and it is sitting at my $10K limit.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Interesting.

Then I got nothing. All of my test runs to make sure everything is setup correctly worked fine for me on my first try. Paid off half the balance, it went through, and the limit went up by that amount( Bank of America didn't show it until next day). Transferred Daily Cash to BoA, no problem( again showed the next day). Paid off some of the balance using Daily Cash, no problem. Paid the rest of it off yesterday, and it is sitting at my $10K limit.

I hope I’m only a rare few that’s experiencing this.

I just find it interesting that the balance updates within seconds using Apple Cash and not other banking institutions. Even with these major banks, if you pay your credit line with a checking account from the same institution, the balance doesn’t update instantaneously, the earliest is that evening. Funds from Apple Cash aren’t even held by Goldman Sachs, rather by this Green Dot bank that does online management for companies like Uber.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Update:

The verdict is in. If you pay your Apple Card balance with funds from Apple Cash, they update your available balance within seconds.

It’s been almost 2 weeks and Apple still has not updated my available balance with completed payments from 3 different checking accounts.

079213d573d82e76f560a0b53f780c69.jpg

My AB is finally correct as of today. I’m going to try the Apple Cash and see, as noted above the issue was needing to be verified.
[doublepost=1567089290][/doublepost]
There’s a process to verify your identity for the Apple Cash to become a valid payment method. Don’t recall the specifics, but tap the 3 dots on the Apple Cash card in the wallet app and explore.
This was my issue with Apple Cash. Thanks

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
My AB is finally correct as of today.

I’m glad your Available Balance updated!

I’ve been trying to get someone to help in a way other than advising me to “wait a few more days”

This has become absolutely comical...

b26f822794dc3d4acf7c6f487efffa91.jpg

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Well I just tried - paying current balance through TD Bank Checking Account and it immediately was applied and lowered the available balance - aside from the one pending charge from this morning. Impressive - very impressive.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
I have just been using Apple Cash to pay it and the balance applies instantly. I guess this one is closed.

Which is quite honestly an idiotic way to pay bills. But sure close the thread, have to settle for this way of paying if I want results.

Reactions: Jack Neill

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Few months later, and I’m having same problem as you guys. I’ve made three separate payments from a Bank of America checking account, which paid my balance down to almost zero (it won’t let me pay pending transactions)... yet no update on my available balance. I make a ton of purchases, and so I’m almost out of available credit, even though i have a balance of almost zero. No way it should take that long. All the payments posted to my checking account many business days ago.

Edit:
Just got done with a text chat with support.. after I pressed them for more information than the default “it takes several days to post” reply (since it’s been a lot longer than several days), the person gave me exact dates of when each of my past payments would reflect. They were all 9-10 days. Was told that the exact length varies by person, and depends on your “account history”. Well, like everyone it’s a new card.. and I’ve paid the balance off in full every several days. So not sure why I’m being given such a long time. And this should not be any kind of a credit rating issue, as each of the payments that I made have already cleared my bank a number of days ago. They already received my money. So why the need to make me wait.
Apparently a customer that makes a lot of purchase, and pays off the balance frequently, is not valuable to them. I would have thought I was the ideal customer.

Last edited:

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Few months later, and I’m having same problem as you guys. I’ve made three separate payments from a Bank of America checking account, which paid my balance down to almost zero (it won’t let me pay pending transactions)... yet no update on my available balance. I make a ton of purchases, and so I’m almost out of available credit, even though i have a balance of almost zero. No way it should take that long. All the payments posted to my checking account many business days ago.

Edit:
Just got done with a text chat with support.. after I pressed them for more information than the default “it takes several days to post” reply (since it’s been a lot longer than several days), the person gave me exact dates of when each of my past payments would reflect. They were all 9-10 days. Was told that the exact length varies by person, and depends on your “account history”. Well, like everyone it’s a new card.. and I’ve paid the balance off in full every several days. So not sure why I’m being given such a long time. And this should not be any kind of a credit rating issue, as each of the payments that I made have already cleared my bank a number of days ago. They already received my money. So why the need to make me wait.
Apparently a customer that makes a lot of purchase, and pays off the balance frequently, is not valuable to them. I would have thought I was the ideal customer.

I found that paying it off with Apple Cash makes the balance return almost instantly. So I just add my money to the Apple Cash then pay the card. It's an added step but first world problem.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I found that paying it off with Apple Cash makes the balance return almost instantly. So I just add my money to the Apple Cash then pay the card. It's an added step but first world problem.

I'm going to think about it this weekend, and decide what to do. I was planning on using this card as my daily driver. But I find it a but insulting and ridiculous that they decide some of us have to go through extra hoops just to use it. I have other cards I can use that don't do this. In fact, I'm 47, and have had many cards in my life... and I've never once had one make you wait 10 days after posting a payment.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast

Have you tried doing a normal payment since, and if so did it still take a long time?
I unfortunately made a big payment 11 days ago, and wanted to make a Black Friday purchase using it and the payment still doesn't show up as available. I just got off the chat with them, and they say it may post tomorrow. That would be 12 days since I made the payment, and about 10 days since that payment cleared my checking account. Thats just so ridiculous.
I did try making a payment a couple days ago the way you described, by transferring the money to Apple Cash first, and then making the payment from there. It was instantaneous. So I could do that going forward. Unfortunately, since I don't actually owe anything currently on the card, I can't make any additional payments. Yet I can't use the card since the available credit won't update. So once again I have to use another card, and lose the cash rewards.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Have you tried doing a normal payment since, and if so did it still take a long time?
I unfortunately made a big payment 11 days ago, and wanted to make a Black Friday purchase using it and the payment still doesn't show up as available. I just got off the chat with them, and they say it may post tomorrow. That would be 12 days since I made the payment, and about 10 days since that payment cleared my checking account. Thats just so ridiculous.
I did try making a payment a couple days ago the way you described, by transferring the money to Apple Cash first, and then making the payment from there. It was instantaneous. So I could do that going forward. Unfortunately, since I don't actually owe anything currently on the card, I can't make any additional payments. Yet I can't use the card since the available credit won't update. So once again I have to use another card, and lose the cash rewards.

I did one the other day by accident from the bank and it took 4 days. I just use Apple Cash now to pay it off, its an added step but 1st world problems I guess..

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I had the same happen on a non-Apple card. Paid it off, and it showed zero balance, but available credit didn't go back up. Not sure if it is because of the amount of the payment and/or the holidays. Paid off the same account for my wife, and hers was normal, but was a lesser amount. Some good changes I am noticing lately are when I pay on some of my cards, my available credit instantly updates. Not sure if that is a change to how they do it or because I have been a customer longer with no payment issues.
[automerge]1577723694[/automerge]
Interesting, I wonder if there are longer verifications for larger payments. Same thing happened to me on a non-Apple care I made a larger payment on. Balance went to $0, but available didn't go back up to match the limit.

california_kid

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
Got the card in late Dec and just paid my balance in Jan and credit line adjusted immediately. I do have Apple cash setup for cash back, but payment was made from my local credit union checking account. My other credit cards are as follows:

Chase - takes 1 business day for payment to post.
Citi - instant payment post.
GS/Apple - instant payment post.

jraske77

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2020
I joined this forum over this issue . . . I'm canceling my card. This delay is ridiculous, and different than every other card I have (which usually take 1-2 days two credit for a payment). I also pay off in full every month so I never pay interest (that makes me the type of customer banks hate). It looks like Goldman Sachs wants you to leave a balance every month, otherwise they delay crediting you for your payment.

I made a payment eight days ago, and my bank (USAA) paid one day later, and my Apple Card balance still hasn't been credited. This has been going on for about five weeks.

F' Apple for not negotiating this up front . . . all that talk about being "customer friendly" is a farce.

My advice . . . stay away from Apple Card over this. You will be punished if you pay off your balance. I'd rather get 1-2% cash back for my Apple purchases than deal with this nonsense.

Goodbye Apple Card. Hopefully more of you cancel as well to send a message.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I joined this forum over this issue . . . I'm canceling my card. This delay is ridiculous, and different than every other card I have (which usually take 1-2 days two credit for a payment). I also pay off in full every month so I never pay interest (that makes me the type of customer banks hate). It looks like Goldman Sachs wants you to leave a balance every month, otherwise they delay crediting you for your payment.

I made a payment eight days ago, and my bank (USAA) paid one day later, and my Apple Card balance still hasn't been credited. This has been going on for about five weeks.

F' Apple for not negotiating this up front . . . all that talk about being "customer friendly" is a farce.

My advice . . . stay away from Apple Card over this. You will be punished if you pay off your balance. I'd rather get 1-2% cash back for my Apple purchases than deal with this nonsense.

Goodbye Apple Card. Hopefully more of you cancel as well to send a message.

I agree its frustrating, i just use Apple Cash and it makes it instant. Not really a deal breaker for me.

jraske77

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2020
I agree its frustrating, i just use Apple Cash and it makes it instant. Not really a deal breaker for me.
I understand why some individuals view this as not a big deal. I just find it disrespectful to Apple and Goldman Sach’s customers.

I checked today and a payment I made 14 days ago hasn’t been applied to my available balance. That is simply unacceptable.

I can imagine a scenario where someone needs their available balance for an emergency and it isn’t available due to the delays in crediting an account. And, the money behind the payment is no longer available either.

We should be able to pay from our bank without routing the payment through Apple Cash.

Based on the time it's taking for payments to clear I likely can’t close the account for another 14 days as I wait for the balance to reach zero.

Anyone who puts up with this is being taken advantage of by big business. No one should have their hard earned money tied up for 10-14 days while a payment is applied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.