Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeethebrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
UK
I have an .avi file, which i need to convert into an mpeg2 file, i know that most video file converters for mac do it the other way around so that you can rip off dvds and so on, but i want to do the opposite, stick an avi to a dvd, so that it will play in any commercial dvd player. does anyone know a solution?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
QuickTime pro will do that, as long as you have the MPEG2 componant installed, but the easiest way is to convert the avi to a QT movie in QuickTime and then throw it at iDVD, which will encode to MPEG2 in the background before burning the disc.

You could gp mad and use Cleaner 6...:D

QT and iDVD's your best bet.

zeethebrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
UK
the thing is that i have an iBook with an external firewire DVD+RW drive, i have QT Pro, but i didn't know there were different components that i could install, so i'll give that a go. What i was planning to do was to convert the files into mpeg and then use Toast, which has a DVD burning feature so that it would be DVD format, as you can guess that i have a G3, i don't have iDVD. Can i use this Cleaner program to convert avi to mpeg? it seeems to only allow mpeg to dvd.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Toast can burn data DVD's. but will only create DVD-video discs when used with an app that builds a VIDEO_TS folder, which toast can use.

DVD studio Pro will build these folders, as will some others, iDVD is a bitch to use with external DVD drives.

Cleaner 6 will convert almost any AV file format to any other, but its pricey.

If you have QT pro, you'll be able to export the avi as a number of file formats, but you'll still need the MPEG2 componant to export as MPEG2.

zeethebrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
UK
When i export the AVI file in QT Pro, all i get is perfect sound, and a white screen in the same size ratio. Something is definately going wrong in the details part, can anyone help with this?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
What file type are you exporting to?

The white screen indicates you don't have the video codec for the playback.

Try using the Sorenson 3 codec in the options page of QT pro export.

zeethebrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
UK
I'm trying to export into mpeg4, but as you suggested before, i need someway to get this AVI file into a VIDEO_TS folder so that it will play on a dvd, what steps should i take and what formats should i be converting into?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
either:

Convert avi to mpeg2 using QT or Cleaner, import into DVD st pro, design your DVD, build a VIDEO_TS folder, burn using Toast. Remember to export the audio as an .aiff file at 48Khz and don't include the audio in the video file, this is called a de-muxed file.

Or:

Export avi to QT using the DV stream codec, import to iDVD, design DVD and burn from iDVD (assuming it cab see your drive). The DV file will include your audio and is called a Muxed file.

Everything should be in PAL as you're in the UK

There are other apps that'll author DVDs, but none as good as DVDSP or iDVD.

Have you thought about simply exporting as a VideoCD file from QT and burning that with Toast (burn as a VCD obviously). Some DVD players will play VCDs as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.