Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laserallan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
The system administrator has configured the samba server to not allow creating files called .DS_store. The problem is that all file copying through finder fails if it can't create .DS_store files. A dialog pops up saying something went wrong and if selecting continue copying from the dialog it ends up creating 0 size files instead of copying.
Is it possible to suppress creation of these files or is terminal copying files to net mounted disks the way to go in this environment?

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
OS X depends on these files so I think you should tell your sys admin to stop blocking them.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Darwin said:
I thought that the DS creation was addressed so that they wouldn't show up?

Well guess not then

Those files are hidden in the finder. If you looked at a Mac volume under Windows XP, the .DS_Store files would be visible.

laserallan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Wow, I really thought that OSX was this "friendly network citizen" that Apple says it is. I guess not :(

It is really really really bad practice for operating systems to litter shared network resources with files that are totally unnessecary for cooperation in a cross-platform network environment.

I also find it hard to believe that OSX "depends" on these meta-data files. How hard could it be to recover gracefully? Windows handles this situation perfectly.

And the error message.. don't even get me started. It doesn't even mention .DS_Store which is the real problem. Instead the fuc^H^H^Hdarn OS tells me that the file name contains illegal character. Which it most certainly does not.

/laserallan, a very disappointed former Mac user...

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I don't know exactly what you are trying to do, but you do have the option of creating a pure Unix file system under OS X and sharing that with Windows. You should not see the .DS_store files in this case, I believe.

Have fun with your "perfect" Windows; I'm very happy to be on OS X (or Linux, or Solaris, or ANYTHING other an a M$ product).

laserallan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
daveL said:
I don't know exactly what you are trying to do, but you do have the option of creating a pure Unix file system under OS X and sharing that with Windows. You should not see the .DS_store files in this case, I believe.

Have fun with your "perfect" Windows; I'm very happy to be on OS X (or Linux, or Solaris, or ANYTHING other an a M$ product).

What I'm trying to do is using finder to copy files to a samba mounted disk not allowing files named .DS_store to be created. I think it should at least give a reasonable error message when this happens.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
laserallan said:
What I'm trying to do is using finder to copy files to a samba mounted disk not allowing files named .DS_store to be created. I think it should at least give a reasonable error message when this happens.
Just out of curiosity, have you tried doing the copy from the Terminal command line, without getting Finder involved? I don't even have a Windows machine around anymore to try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.