Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Hi guys,

Do any of you experience the same? When the screen is lit on my Apple Watch five the watch emits a low whining noise. I discovered it because I put my ear on the screen while trying to take a nap. When the screen is in low power always on-mode it's not there. But when the screen is on, I can hear it if I move it close to my ear.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Hi guys,

Do any of you experience the same? When the screen is lit on my Apple Watch five the watch emits a low whining noise. I discovered it because I put my ear on the screen while trying to take a nap. When the screen is in low power always on-mode it's not there. But when the screen is on, I can hear it if I move it close to my ear.

Yep. But it’s very subtle. I wouldn’t be bothered by it. It’s just the standard noise electronics make.

Moriend87

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
Be careful I would wrap tin foil around it right away. I heard that was a sign of the cia tapping your Apple Watch.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
No, true. It doesn't bother me and if everyone else experiences it I'm fine with it. But my series 1 and series 4 didn't, so I just want to know if I ought to get it fixed.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Hi guys,

Get rid of it immediately! It's going to blow up!

• Haha
Reactions: Precursor

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
No, true. It doesn't bother me and if everyone else experiences it I'm fine with it. But my series 1 and series 4 didn't, so I just want to know if I ought to get it fixed.

AW4 and earlier has low power tech in it. AW5 screen might be a little more power hungry thus the whining. I’d ignore it unless it really does seem like it’s about to explode.

My MacBook Pro makes that kind of noise too, but much louder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.