Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The latest version of VirtualBox runs Windows 10 quite well on my 2014 iMac. I normally leave my Windows desktop running all the time as the NAS but I am migrating it to the M1 mini and running Windows 10 on a virtual machine is convenient as I don't have to go to my other desk to use it. It's possible that I will shut down the Windows 10 Desktop but that's not quite just yet. I need a way to push stuff from Windows 10 to macOS file sharing.

Reactions: I7guy and Cape Dave

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Not sure what your point is. This is nothing new, especially on Intel based Mac's
I've setup a complete network infrastructure in VB without much issue (multiple windows servers and clients).
File sharing with Windows and Mac OS has been a non issue for ages, it's all SMB.
You may find some challenges running a VM of windows on a AS mac, but some people say it's just the same.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Not sure what your point is. This is nothing new, especially on Intel based Mac's
I've setup a complete network infrastructure in VB without much issue (multiple windows servers and clients).
File sharing with Windows and Mac OS has been a non issue for ages, it's all SMB.
You may find some challenges running a VM of windows on a AS mac, but some people say it's just the same.

I wasn't able to get it to work in either direction.

My solution was to use VirtualBox shared folders to move stuff around.

I suspect the problem is related to Windows account changes. It used to be easy to set up an account with just your username but they want to use your email account as the account name if you go that route.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
I wasn't able to get it to work in either direction.

My solution was to use VirtualBox shared folders to move stuff around.

I suspect the problem is related to Windows account changes. It used to be easy to set up an account with just your username but they want to use your email account as the account name if you go that route.
Whatever works for you no set way. But you should be able to share out Window 10 folders and connect to them with a Mac. I've been doing that for ages.

Well you do have to share out the folder and give it permissions for who can access it. Doesn't matter how you created the local user account, which BTW you can avoid using the requested email account, there is a button for advance setup (or something to that effect) allowing you to create a normal local account. If you create an account on your PC with the same user name as the account on your Mac it does simply the sharing and connecting of 2 computers.

Good luck!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Whatever works for you no set way. But you should be able to share out Window 10 folders and connect to them with a Mac. I've been doing that for ages.

Well you do have to share out the folder and give it permissions for who can access it. Doesn't matter how you created the local user account, which BTW you can avoid using the requested email account, there is a button for advance setup (or something to that effect) allowing you to create a normal local account. If you create an account on your PC with the same user name as the account on your Mac it does simply the sharing and connecting of 2 computers.

Good luck!

I'm using a VM without a key so I can't make changes.

I tried it both ways, push and pull. I couldn't connect to it a Windows share from the macOS side. This works fine on my desktop so I assume that it's related to the VM. I'd guess that it's something fairly simple - I just wasn't successful and just looked for the easiest way to get it working. I may just recreate the VM with the older-style Windows 10 username if that's possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.