Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
New Hampshire
My wife's iPad air 2 running iPad 13 has a badly cracked screen. She backed it up to her computer and since he demands are quite minimal bout an original iPad air second hand. We found out that iPad will not tke iPAd 13 - it only goes ip to iOS 12.

Well, the backup won't restore the apple way. IS there another we she can get her apps and data to her "new" old iPad?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My wife's iPad air 2 running iPad 13 has a badly cracked screen. She backed it up to her computer and since he demands are quite minimal bout an original iPad air second hand. We found out that iPad will not tke iPAd 13 - it only goes ip to iOS 12.

Well, the backup won't restore the apple way. IS there another we she can get her apps and data to her "new" old iPad?
Depending on what she enabled in the iCloud backup list, when she logs into iCloud on the new device, it will all be put on the new iPad. She needs to setup as new and log into iCloud during the setup and see what she gets back. It won’t be absolutely everything but it’s better than nothing. I purchased iMazing to avoid these kinds of problems

allan53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
New Hampshire
I dL it but don’t know how to use it. Backup old iPad and restore to new one still does not work. Could you tell me the steps I should follow.
old iPad runs 13.2. New iPad has 12.4

penguintri

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
UK
I used the below video this week as a guide when restoring an iOS 12.4 backup onto a 12.2 device.

It should work in your case you just need to edit that one plist in the backup directory to the firmware you want to restore on to.

allan53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
New Hampshire
I changed the information as shown in the video but it still did not work. I tried iMazing - could not think of how to do it - wrote to support - they said it could not be done.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.