Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardan7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Hi, I noticed that when I open photos, they aren’t that sharp, but if I zoom in, the quality changes a lot and stays good after zooming out. Maybe it’s just brightness that is added, but I also tried this on max brightness level and there is a change. Anyone experiencing similar issue?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
More likely, you're using iCloud Photos and Optimize Storage. If the photo you're choosing to view has been "optimized," (full quality version removed/not present on the iPhone) it needs to download before you can view in full volume. A hint that this is happening - you may see a little circle appear in the lower-right of the image when it opens (it's a download progress indicator).

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
This has happened to me here and there for years, and I too don’t use iCloud photos. Almost seems that the photo is a low quality render until you interact with it (zoom in and out) at which point the full quality version then loads. The full quality photo is there, just not always viewable at first.

Kardan7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Exactly it doesn't render until any interaction is made. Here is comparison - on the left side there is photo right after i opened it and on the right after zoomed in & out. Check the detail on first bushes on the right side, on trees on the left side or just zoom in to see the difference in quality.

image1.png

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reactions: MEJHarrison

nick_iphone7

Suspended
Dec 4, 2019
Hi, i have the same problem om my iPhone 7. When I zoom in slightly the picture gets more detailed, but when I just look at them they look a little blurry

Attachments

• A9C09537-226A-4F59-97E1-AEECDD2FAF7D.png
    A9C09537-226A-4F59-97E1-AEECDD2FAF7D.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 165
  • 6B589532-2991-4C35-A95C-D4D84BDA5207.png
    6B589532-2991-4C35-A95C-D4D84BDA5207.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 133

Kardan7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
exactly, You can just zoom out back to normal and it will stay sharp, but only until you minimize it......i hope software update could solve this, because in my point of view it's weird having high-end smartphone with one of best CPU's on mobile market and not being able to pass through photos without rendering them properly.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Exactly it doesn't render until any interaction is made. Here is comparison - on the left side there is photo right after i opened it and on the right after zoomed in & out. Check the detail on first bushes on the right side, on trees on the left side or just zoom in to see the difference in quality.

View attachment 881132
Hi, i have the same problem om my iPhone 7. When I zoom in slightly the picture gets more detailed, but when I just look at them they look a little blurry
Just so you guys know, the issue only occurs when you are viewing the photo on your phone as it’s the phone preview that is not rendering the full picture. When you upload or send your photo, it’s the full quality version. Therefore, the photos you both shared are an identical photo.

Kardan7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Just so you guys know, the issue only occurs when you are viewing the photo on your phone as it’s the phone preview that is not rendering the full picture. When you upload or send your photo, it’s the full quality version. Therefore, the photos you both shared are an identical photo.
In my case it is not same photo......i´ve made a screenshot and then send it here. If You´ll have a closer look, You´ll spot the difference. Just download the picture i´ve posted above, zoom in, and You will definitely spot a difference.

Reactions: Chazzle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.