Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andsoitgoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Hi everyone,

So I know that cycles are bad, and I've worked hard to make sure my phone doesn't dip below 20%, even 50% and I try my best to keep it charged up, but I was checking out the cycles on my kids' iPads before selling them, and I decided to plug in my XS Max (had it since launch) and I've been watching my iOS battery health stick at 100% pretty much from day 1, so the current charge capacity isn't so much my concern (97% is still something I'm happy with) but the cycle count freaked me out a bit.

It's showing 449 cycles over about 14 months, to be fair this is the first time I've checked cycle counts on any iPhones so maybe that's totally normal? I dunno. To note, I am on the 13.3 Beta, also.

The other oddity is the "space used" - I presume this has some connection with being on the beta, because I sure as hell don't have 99% used space on my device.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I have AppleCare until next year so I'm sure I'll get it swapped out then. Thanks in advance, attached is the screenshot of Coconut.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 4.29.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 4.29.53 PM.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Hi everyone,

So I know that cycles are bad, and I've worked hard to make sure my phone doesn't dip below 20%, even 50% and I try my best to keep it charged up, but I was checking out the cycles on my kids' iPads before selling them, and I decided to plug in my XS Max (had it since launch) and I've been watching my iOS battery health stick at 100% pretty much from day 1, so the current charge capacity isn't so much my concern (97% is still something I'm happy with) but the cycle count freaked me out a bit.

It's showing 449 cycles over about 14 months, to be fair this is the first time I've checked cycle counts on any iPhones so maybe that's totally normal? I dunno. To note, I am on the 13.3 Beta, also.

The other oddity is the "space used" - I presume this has some connection with being on the beta, because I sure as hell don't have 99% used space on my device.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I have AppleCare until next year so I'm sure I'll get it swapped out then. Thanks in advance, attached is the screenshot of Coconut.

449 charge cycles over 14 months would indicate that you fully discharged this device more than once per day on average. (In other words, you used the equivalent of the entire battery capacity plus a little more on a daily basis) Does this sound accurate to you? Only you can answer this question.

What does the settings app on your phone say for space used? Settings>>General>>Storage

Last edited:

andsoitgoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
449 charge cycles over 14 months would indicate that you fully discharged this device more than once per day on average. (In other words, you used the equivalent of the entire battery capacity plus a little more on a daily basis) Does this sound accurate to you? Only you can answer this question.

What does the settings app on your phone say for space used? Settings>>General>>Storage

Not at all, I haven’t fully discharged it EVER, and the lowest it’s dropped is 20-30% on maybe 2-3 days max

as for my storage, shows 155gb free

I wonder if this comes down to it being a beta version, I had to call Apple on a different issue and the confirmed my battery health was fine.So I can only chalk it up to a beta thing, I guess?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Not at all, I haven’t fully discharged it EVER, and the lowest it’s dropped is 20-30% on maybe 2-3 days max

as for my storage, shows 155gb free

I wonder if this comes down to it being a beta version, I had to call Apple on a different issue and the confirmed my battery health was fine.So I can only chalk it up to a beta thing, I guess?

By fully discharging, I don't mean that you let it drop to 0% but throughout the day you used the equivalent of a 100% charge. It wouldn't be unusual if you're a heavy user and looking at your screen for 6-8 hours per day. You can look at the meter in the battery health section to see your daily use for the last week. If you've never done that, it's probably the beta.

Last edited:
Reactions: andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
By fully discharging, I don't mean that you let it drop to 0% but throughout the day you used the equivalent of a 100% charge. It wouldn't be unusual if you're a heavy user and looking at your screen for 6-8 hours per day. You can look at the meter in the battery health section to see your daily use for the last week. If you've never done that, it's probably the beta.

Oops.

You’re right I’m an idiot. Yes. I use it a lot more than I realize. So that makes a lot of sense. I always expected I kept it charged enough. Clearly not. I looked at my battery health and for sure it’s 100%+ per day.

So I guess the question then is what does that mean in the long run, especially considering the health is 100%? I had expected it would drop with the heavy usage.

Thanks for all the help

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Oops.

You’re right I’m an idiot. Yes. I use it a lot more than I realize. So that makes a lot of sense. I always expected I kept it charged enough. Clearly not. I looked at my battery health and for sure it’s 100%+ per day.

So I guess the question then is what does that mean in the long run, especially considering the health is 100%? I had expected it would drop with the heavy usage.

Thanks for all the help

Your charging habits may have a lot to do with it. I've seen a graph with a guy's Coconut Battery results over a period of a couple of years and he had 1000+ charge cycles on his phone with relatively good health. It's been suggested that by consistently keeping your battery in the 60-80% range will prolong it's life considerably. I tend to practice this and my battery health is 102% after about 110 cycles so we'll see........

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Agree regarding charging habits. If you haven't let your charge drop below 20-30% this can be your real battery health.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
The health is definitely not 100%, almost 500 cycles is not a little and Apple is not known for the accuracy of their battery health status.

Trust Coconut and only you know if there's any noticeable difference in how much it holds a charge. Also, don't let it drain to 20-30%, but rather 40-60% and also don't top it off more than 80%. It's fine if you charge several times a day within those margins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.