Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
A designer with many years of work and experience on the print sector of graphic design, wants to make the change and start on the digital sector as a UI/UX designer. The design talent is there, but there is a lack of effective knowledge in being a UI/UX designer. In your opinion how will he begin this new "learning" journey to enter the digital world? What apps will he need to learn? Were would he need to look for new trends and principles? :)

Last edited:

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
See that your post is somewhat stale, but I’ll still weigh in.

As a team director that has UI/UX experience, my suggestion would be to start establishing a portfolio even if it has to come through some volunteer projects. My favorite tool for UI/UX Design is Adobe XD, which incendentally is free to use without Creative Cloud. Watch a tutorial on XD to get started.

Honestly where I see “designers” struggle to make it as UI/UX designers is that they are not able to consider the experience factor well enough. UI/UX is about blending usability and art, and thinking about process of experiencing an interactive system.

Try finding someone with an idea for an app that doesn’t have art/design experience. Treat it like free freelance for the sake of establishing some portfolio work.

Happy to chat more in depth if interested.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks ZZ! Would you say that its compulsory in order to become a UI/UX designer to have knowledge on CSS, HTML etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.