Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
This is a great sticky. I would like to pose a question to all you Web Develpers out there. I am presently looking into becoming a Web Developer/Programmer and know HTML and Javascript. Now I have been starting some PHP, however in this Web 2.o era, What do you guys recommend one's route be as far as languages/technologies are to learn?

I know there is so many web technologies out there that it gets ridiculous like Ajax, Jakarta, Python, etc. So any tips?

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
This is a great sticky. I would like to pose a question to all you Web Develpers out there. I am presently looking into becoming a Web Developer/Programmer and know HTML and Javascript. Now I have been starting some PHP, however in this Web 2.o era, What do you guys recommend one's route be as far as languages/technologies are to learn?

I know there is so many web technologies out there that it gets ridiculous like Ajax, Jakarta, Python, etc. So any tips?

I would start your own thread on this. You'll probably get more responses. :)

smellslikedan

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2006
IL
O-WH appears to no longer be a hosting service. You might want to take the link down unless you meant to link to "funny adult videos" ?

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Thanks for all the links. Got rid of the O-WH link too. :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
how about some links to the business side i.e.

- how to write a request for tenders (like I'm currently doing),
- how respond to tender requests,

- how to write progress reports
- how to ensure disablity access

- how to work with companies that hire you to do a website (what they exprect from you, progress stages, contract negotations etc)

- examples of model contracts

monstordh

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Arkansas
more links

I used to use Cyberduck exclusively for ftp, but it has gotten bulky and unreliable. I have been using FireFTP, a Firefox plugin and it has worked like a charm. Very smooth and responsive.

As for the IE 6x PNG fix issue, the coolest (and best) thing I've seen is DD_belatedPNG by Drew Miller. The only PNG fix I know of that does not require a transparent GIF.

I think you might want to also include a list of opensource CMS apps, my personal favorite being Drupal.

Great stuff. Wish I had this when I started! :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I use Eleven2.com for hosting. They've been just about fantastic. Cheap, reliable and fast response on customer service.

Just thought I'd tack this on since no one's mentioned it yet. I'd recommend them regardless, but I do have an affiliate link if you want to spread the love.

webconferencing

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
I use three different hosting services. All of them have their own plus and minus points. I choose web hosting based on how I want to use the site.

sebgreen

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
UK
Other stuff

JEdit is a great free editor.

Dreamweaver is a great app. Allows beginners and advanced users to create amazing sites

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Freeway

I'm a big fan of Freeway - http://www.softpress.com/index.php
Express version is good for my needs, but the Pro version looks very comprehensive. It is similar to Rapidweaver I guess, but I much prefer its user interface. And it's made by a British company :)

When I do need to delve into the code I've been using smultron - http://www.tuppis.com/smultron/

PS Even though Cyberduck is free, I don't think it is still worth using. I couldn't get it to work reliably (multiple attempts to upload), and neither could my sister with her website. We have both now purchased Fetch and are far more sane for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.