Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
So a friend of mine has declared an interest in photography, and he is going to upgrade his ancient Android smartphone to something capable of taking good pictures. Now I have told him it basically comes down to two factors, the hardware of the lens array and the software that is taking the picture.

As far as I know, the iPhone and the Pixel have the best software. The iPhone has good lenses, but the Pixels single lens is a weak point. The Samsung Galaxy and OnePlus have good lenses, but the software is less than stellar.

My friend is looking at the OnePlus Pro 9, is there a better camera phone I can recommend to him? I am wary of the Samsung phones, which tend to oversaturate pictures I recall reading.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I'm taking a couple of weeks off of public chat forums online and read some fiction novels
and may learn how to read minds?

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Best camera is Fujifilm. Best camera on a phone is probably Huawei but unfortunately the great supreme orange ruler screwed that up.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Nikon is a better solution for photography, or either Rikoh, Canon, Kodak etc.
phones are convenient way to snap a quick image of something.
when the subject needs to be taken seriously, only a real camera take make that happen.
Camera are more stable and can zoon in alot more effectively than the best phone.

He is not a professional photographer, and has no interest in trying to learn the knacks of that trade, as he has terminal cancer and is not expected to live beyond six months. He wants a good point and shoot experience from a device he can carry in his pocket, so that he can focus on composition and style.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
He is not a professional photographer, and has no interest in trying to learn the knacks of that trade, as he has terminal cancer and is not expected to live beyond six months. He wants a good point and shoot experience from a device he can carry in his pocket, so that he can focus on composition and style.
what's his budget? And sorry to hear. EFF cancer.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The IPhone makes little sense who want's to learn an new Mobile OS for the sake of a camera, given circumstance etc

Any recent flagship Android phone takes good snaps , if he likes a feature rich interface then he may not enjoy the Pixel over others otherwise just get best featured lens

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If mobility is limited I'd go with something with good zoom and wide angle like the Galaxy S21 Ultra. One of my biggest pet peeves is funny skin tone and so far zero complaint. Even better is Sony a7S III.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
He’s willing to spend to about 1000 euro’s.
Get a Samsung Galaxy S21.
Not only he would get a huge upgrade of a phone, it has versatile camera setup, including directors view, which is super fun if he’s interested in vlogging.
Samsung frequently has the S21 series on promos and discounts, so he should be able to get the regular S21 for a lot less. Use the savings to get accessories like fast charger, TWS earbuds, cases, etc.

Reactions: Steve Adams

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Even better is Sony a7S III.
Bit of a strange thing to add. Considering it costs over 4x his budget and that's for the body alone. Plus they're clearly aimed at people more into videography than photography.

Personally, I'd go for the S21+/Ultra. Good quality phone, various lenses and easy to take quick, good quality photos.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Bit of a strange thing to add. Considering it costs over 4x his budget and that's for the body alone. Plus they're clearly aimed at people more into videography than photography.

Equivalent Sony FX3 is for video while the a7s III is for hybrid photography/videography. You can find much better deals for the latter though. If my time was limited I'd want it to be the best experience.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
It looks like a Samsung Galaxy S21 is the consensus favourite. I will put it to him as a well-balanced option.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Geez, that's rough, cancer is brutal.

Good on you for helping your mate out ?
I hope his remaining time is a lot longer.
I have the S21 ultra, the camera isn't perfect but it is handy in most situations, I'd certainly put it up there as a definite consideration.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Geez, that's rough, cancer is brutal.

Good on you for helping your mate out ?
I hope his remaining time is a lot longer.
I have the S21 ultra, the camera isn't perfect but it is handy in most situations, I'd certainly put it up there as a definite consideration.

He went with the OnePlus in the end. He is happily snapping photo’s in his garden, trying out the portrait mode.

Reactions: Klyster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.