Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Furman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
I am going to buy the 44mm, but unsure about which band and which case, aluminum or stainless steel. For those that wear the watch while running and working out, which band and case do you recommend? The last thing I want is for the band to begin smelling from sweat, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: twanj

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Aluminium case is the lightest but I’ve had no problem exercising in stainless steel (and now titanium) either.

As for the straps, if you’re worried about it smelling I’d say the sport bands are the easiest to clean. I personally like the sport loops as they’re more breathable, but if you’re someone that sweats a ridiculous amount or have a habit of showering at the gym with the watch on (I don’t do that personally), then I’d go with sport bands. Bands dry quicker whereas the loops, whilst easy to clean, stays damp for a bit.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I like the sport loops, the Nike ones have reflective material in them if that matters to you. If you want a sport band, stick with a Nike Band. The holes help reduce the trapped perspiration. That said, I've hiked in the Colorado sun in the middle of summer, worked out in the gym and don't have an issue wearing a normal band either. And I'm warm natured. Sport loops are definitely the cooler of the two styles from my experience.

Reactions: Furman and twanj

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Sport loop. More adjustable than even the Nike sport bands, though those would be my second choice. Cleans up easy and dries quickly. Doesn’t hold moisture against your wrist. Important when running at lunchtime in 90F temps in the SE US. ?

Aluminum vs Stainless weight difference really doesn’t matter. As a 4-5 day per week runner, I’ve had aluminum S2 & S3, then stainless S4 & S5. Yes stainless weighs a little more but in practice it is irrelevant.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I currently use Nike bands, cos i don't like the damp feeling when the loop gets wet. I just use wet tissues to wipe clean the sport bands when i get home then leave it in open air to dry a while before i keep them..

On the case, i would think you just have to decide which one you'll like the best. Me myself i went with the case material decision rather than weight or for running.

Reactions: Agile55 and twanj

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I am going to buy the 44mm, but unsure about which band and which case, aluminum or stainless steel. For those that wear the watch while running and working out, which band and case do you recommend? The last thing I want is for the band to begin smelling from sweat, if you know what I mean.
As far as the case: I’ve only owned the stainless steel and I’m a runner. I’m sure the aluminum is lighter but I don’t find the SS heavy by any stretch!

Bands: I prefer the Sport loop for running, golf, etc...as you can adjust it very precisely to just the right fit...so it’s not slipping around your wrist!

If you have big wrists, beware of the sport loop! They’ve taken some length off it in the past couple of years! I just bought the 5 SS with Alaska blue sport loop band....and I’m gonna have to return the band and swap it out for a regular sport band...as it’s too short! The end of the band sits on the side of my wrist (not at the bottom) when it’s on! Looks weird! My wrist is 8” (the Volt yellow one just barely made it to the underside of my wrist when strapped on). See pic comparing the yellow sport loop band I bought a couple of years ago with the new one!
8E762868-E8D4-4A2E-AFB8-439623FDA317.jpeg

Last edited:

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
As far as the case: I’ve only owned the stainless steel and I’m a runner. I’m sure the aluminum is lighter but I don’t find the SS heavy by any stretch!

Bands: I prefer the Sport loop for running, golf, etc...as you can adjust it very precisely to just the right fit...so it’s not slipping around your wrist!

If you have big wrists, beware of the sport loop! They’ve taken some length off it in the past couple of years! I just bought the 5 SS with Alaska blue sport loop band....and I’m gonna have to return the band and swap it out for a regular sport band...as it’s too short! The end of the band sits on the side of my wrist (not at the bottom) when it’s on! Looks weird! My wrist is 8” (the Volt yellow one just barely made it to the underside of my wrist when strapped on). See pic comparing the yellow sport loop band I bought a couple of years ago with the new one! View attachment 867481

I've definitely noticed the same thing about the length of the sport loops, I have no idea why they've opted to make them shorter than previous versions. I'm curious about your situation though because I'm at 8.25 wrist and I'm still able to wear them. Sure the new ones don't fit quite as nice as the old ones but I'm still able to get my wrist in.. Is it more a cosmetic thing or an inability to attach the straps securely that's got you taking it back?

Reactions: Furman

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I've definitely noticed the same thing about the length of the sport loops, I have no idea why they've opted to make them shorter than previous versions. I'm curious about your situation though because I'm at 8.25 wrist and I'm still able to wear them. Sure the new ones don't fit quite as nice as the old ones but I'm still able to get my wrist in.. Is it more a cosmetic thing or an inability to attach the straps securely that's got you taking it back?

yeah, it’s more of a cosmetic thing! I’m gonna have to get a precise measurement of my wrist....might be a tad bigger than 8”. It definitely fits, but when I close it, the bottom of the strap sits directly at the side of my wrist...instead of where a watch band traditionally closes...on the underside of the wrist! If it were just an inch longer:)

I know, I know....”that’s what she said”;)

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
yeah, it’s more of a cosmetic thing! I’m gonna have to get a precise measurement of my wrist....might be a tad bigger than 8”. It definitely fits, but when I close it, the bottom of the strap sits directly at the side of my wrist...instead of where a watch band traditionally closes...on the underside of the wrist! If it were just an inch longer:)

LOL Beat someone to the punch there.

Mine sits about 3/4 of the way to the bottom of my wrist where traditionally a buckle or the pin would sit. I'm good with it being on the side actually because it's much more comfortable when I set my wrist down to type. If I tighten it up, I can position it under my wrist but it's too tight around my wrist.

Aesthetically speaking, it's a departure in virtually every way from traditional watch bands I am used to and it took me a while to warm up to Watch in general, let alone the sport band. The fact that it's not symmetrically positioned on my wrist used to drive me nuts. Then I just focused on the comfort of them and at least for me, that trumps everything. But yeah, I do wish they'd have kept the length of them where they were because it was easier to get on and off.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I’m a 6-day-a-week runner and much prefer the sport loop. It doesn’t seem to hold sweat too badly—I really only notice a lot of wetness when I wear it in the rain—but it dries quickly anyway.

I have several colors (including two reflective Nike ones I wear at night) and I throw them in a small mesh bag with my darks and wash them in the washing machine normally, maybe once a month or every other month. This works fine for me.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011

Just took a precise measurement of my wrist and it’s right at 8 1/2 inches....so for me, the bottom of the new sport loop bands sit about in the 9:00 position....directly on the side of my wrist!

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
I’ve noticed that the Alaska Blue loop is short - more difficult to get on and off. I also don’t like that they get wet though they dry quickly and are very comfortable.

I’d have to go with the Nike bands. When you’re done, just wipe or rinse and wipe and you’re done. They’re easier to get on and off than the shorter Sport Loops, and they’re a little more comfortable than the standard Sport Bands.

Reactions: Agile55

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Not sure what OP ended up doing but given their post I’d say grab a Nike watch and sport band combo.

Reactions: Agile55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.