Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
My best buy story (OT I know): dropped by my local Phoenix BB to look at SS Apple Watches since I'm still undecided about getting a SS or Ti case and whether I'd prefer 40 vs 44. Someone had stolen all of the display watches except one aluminum 44. Pretty sad.

• Wow
Reactions: staggerlee41

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My best buy story (OT I know): dropped by my local Phoenix BB to look at SS Apple Watches since I'm still undecided about getting a SS or Ti case and whether I'd prefer 40 vs 44. Someone had stolen all of the display watches except one aluminum 44. Pretty sad.

That individual who stole the demo watches clearly isn’t smart. Demo watches can’t be activated and they run on a ‘boot loop’ demo only. They don’t even have a valid serial number. [Plus, I don’t believe they can even be powered off unless a code isn’t input.] They’re essentially useless.

Last edited:

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
That individual who stole the demo watches clearly isn’t smart. Demo watches can’t be activated and they run on a ‘boot loop’ demo only. They don’t even have a valid serial number. [Plus, I don’t believe they can even be powered off unless a code isn’t input.] They’re eventually useless.

Exactly. the sales person told me that one of the thieves used his kid to do the dirty work. what horrible parenting.

farfromovin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Managed to snag a SBSS, last one within 150 miles or so. The S4 is a huge upgrade from my S2. The text is much larger and the phone is easily 3-4x the speed just in touch responses. Very happy!

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Managed to snag a SBSS, last one within 150 miles or so. The S4 is a huge upgrade from my S2. The text is much larger and the phone is easily 3-4x the speed just in touch responses. Very happy!
Yes here in S. FL they are all gone. Closest 250 miles away. Some were waiting for Black Friday. I knew they would not last at that price.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Congrats! Been on the SS S4 since January... I purchased from Best Buy opened box. I upgraded from the S2 and it’s definitely a major upgrade. The screen size changes everything... that’s why I’m not concerned with the S5 model...

Reactions: DotCom2

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2004
Bummed that I missed out on this deal, I kept going back and forth in my mind between this and an Aluminum S5 - idiot move on my part, wish I could still get this deal... anybody have any ideas/other places to check out for something similar with Black Friday approaching? I've kept an eye out but haven't come across anything yet. LESSON LEARNED!

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
Bummed that I missed out on this deal, I kept going back and forth in my mind between this and an Aluminum S5 - idiot move on my part, wish I could still get this deal... anybody have any ideas/other places to check out for something similar with Black Friday approaching? I've kept an eye out but haven't come across anything yet. LESSON LEARNED!
The sale has come and gone a few times recently... wouldn’t be surprised if it popped up again in the next few weeks.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I ordered an Apple Watch for my mother as a Christmas Gift earlier this week and stock had diminished significantly from the time I ordered my SS maybe 3 weeks ago. Heck, supplies even went down from when I began looking last week. This morning, I was browsing again and many of the SS Series 4 Watches are pretty well picked over. There are still some Stainless models left in 44, but you'll have to buy the Milanese Loop with it.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Still a much better buy over any s5 watch with same speed chip. But even at 399 I passed already having an s3.

But hey if 399 will be the norm going forward on year old Apple Watch I may just make that the time to buy in future.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I ordered an Apple Watch for my mother as a Christmas Gift earlier this week and stock had diminished significantly from the time I ordered my SS maybe 3 weeks ago. Heck, supplies even went down from when I began looking last week. This morning, I was browsing again and many of the SS Series 4 Watches are pretty well picked over. There are still some Stainless models left in 44, but you'll have to buy the Milanese Loop with it.

That's what I ended up doing. Still a great deal at $499.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Still a much better buy over any s5 watch with same speed chip. But even at 399 I passed already having an s3.

But hey if 399 will be the norm going forward on year old Apple Watch I may just make that the time to buy in future.

I agree. From my perspective, the Series 5 Apple Watch is not really aimed at Series 4 owners to upgrade, it’s really aimed at Series 3 and under. The ‘always on display’/compass is probably not enough for the average consumer to upgrade from the Series 4 to the Series 5, the Series 6 will probably be more substantial in terms of what it has to offer in fall 2020 for the Series 4 interest to be piqued.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I'm looking at this too. With the really awful battery life of the AW5 and the screen being less bright I'm not sure why I'm even considering the AW5. It would have been nice to get a titanium one, but cannot ever find them in stock local to me. But the AW5 seems like a big downgrade in battery life.
Battery life was fixed with the first watch os update. My battery life is better on my series 5 than it ever was on my series 4!!

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
The battery on the AW5 is the exact same as my AW4.

Both SS with no cellular being used.

roguester

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2019
This Black Friday sale appeared about three weeks ago when I got mine. I wouldn’t be surprised if the sale showed up again around Xmas time.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
This Black Friday sale appeared about three weeks ago when I got mine. I wouldn’t be surprised if the sale showed up again around Xmas time.

This is unlikely. They were selling off old stock as Apple Watch 4 is no longer available from Apple.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011

Don't be. I scored a used SS S4 on eBay for cheap but decided to also jump on a Black Friday Aluminum S5. Needless to say, after just one day of using the S5 with the always on display, the S4 is going back on eBay or Craigslist for a small loss. It is very difficult to go back to a black screen after using the AOD.

Reactions: Duncan68

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Don't be. I scored a used SS S4 on eBay for cheap but decided to also jump on a Black Friday Aluminum S5. Needless to say, after just one day of using the S5 with the always on display, the S4 is going back on eBay or Craigslist for a small loss. It is very difficult to go back to a black screen after using the AOD.
For me, it's very difficult to go back to Aluminum after Stainless Steel. But that's just me I guess.

Reactions: Michael/O

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2004
Very interesting that you say that @Kendo - since I actually just went onto eBay and got a used Stainless Steel S4 for a great price. We'll see the condition of it when it arrives but they state it's good and from what I hear, the space gray stainless steel holds up remarkably well in terms of scuffs/scratches. But now you have me thinking about that AOD haha. But @DotCom2 I can see what you mean about the stainless steel being a tough thing to leave once you experience it - so so nice. Ahhhhh

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Very interesting that you say that @Kendo - since I actually just went onto eBay and got a used Stainless Steel S4 for a great price. We'll see the condition of it when it arrives but they state it's good and from what I hear, the space gray stainless steel holds up remarkably well in terms of scuffs/scratches. But now you have me thinking about that AOD haha. But @DotCom2 I can see what you mean about the stainless steel being a tough thing to leave once you experience it - so so nice. Ahhhhh

At least for me, the novelty of the case material wears off. Kind of like imagine you wanted a black iPad but you got a white iPad as a gift instead. After a few days of using it, you only notice the content on the iPad (watching Netflix, browsing the web, etc.) and kinda forget about the actual color of the iPad when you use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.