Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burch88

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Re: Best headphones for iPod Touch

Well, if you search in YouTube Radius Atomic Bass Review click on one of the reviews and you will see that everybody says that they are very good or better than a LOT of earphones. They are about $40-$50. And for the quality of them they are practically a steal. :D

Austin2048

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
Holmes, Pennsylvania
for me, i cant have a pair of headphone for longer that a month without them breaking. that stopped as soon as i got an iPod Touch. i love the standard iPod headphones, they are the best ones ive ever had

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Also consider a portable amp and connecting the iPod to the amp using a dock connector cable.

Just a thought, but that won't be very portable.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
A true audiophile probably wouldn't consider the Digital to Analog Convertor (DAC) in the iPod Touch to be up to snuff. That said, to get the most out of whichever phones you choose, make sure your audio files are in as high quality a format as you can get away with. Do not settle for 128 kps under any circumstances

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
A true audiophile probably wouldn't consider the Digital to Analog Convertor (DAC) in the iPod Touch to be up to snuff. That said, to get the most out of whichever phones you choose, make sure your audio files are in as high quality a format as you can get away with. Do not settle for 128 kps under any circumstances

I've used iPods of various stripes with my high end gear, including (in terms of portable headphones) the HD25-1 IIs and a pair of £400 customs. The Touch line do a decent enough job compared to other players of the same class of consumer-oriented players straight out of the headphone jack. Paired with an LOD and amp they do as good a job as some of the more budget-minded audiophile players like the Hisoundaudio range and the Hifiman HM601/602. There's certainly an audible difference when you compare iPods to really high end players like the Color fly C4, but with decent amping they can produce fantastic sound and even out of the jack produce decent sound if the head phone's aren't too power hungry. I personally prioritise components in the order of headphone>>amp>>file>>source when improving my different setups.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
I've used iPods of various stripes with my high end gear, including (in terms of portable headphones) the HD25-1 IIs and a pair of £400 customs. The Touch line do a decent enough job compared to other players of the same class of consumer-oriented players straight out of the headphone jack. Paired with an LOD and amp they do as good a job as some of the more budget-minded audiophile players like the Hisoundaudio range and the Hifiman HM601/602. There's certainly an audible difference when you compare iPods to really high end players like the Color fly C4, but with decent amping they can produce fantastic sound and even out of the jack produce decent sound if the head phone's aren't too power hungry. I personally prioritise components in the order of headphone>>amp>>file>>source when improving my different setups.

Your hierarchy makes good sense. I'll try to keep that in mind with my future purchases. I'm not an audiophile, or at least I can't afford to be one. I'm a musician/composer/music-lover with good ears, a small child, and a small budget; this often leads to dissatisfaction with what I'm hearing.

MightyMouse3

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
Newby Here

I am a big music lover but am fed up with low quality earphones. I want to get a quality pair for under $200, preferably Etymotic. What stopped me was this- all I have is an Ipod touch 5g and my files are all mp3s. Will a pair of Etymotic earphones really pay off? The highest quality I have had so far is a pair of Sonys. Money sparse at the moment. I want to make sure this will be a worthwhile purchase.

Sub question: many people on the forum seem to own a pair of Etymotics. Does the company offer some sort of replacement or exchange program if they brake? Do they have good costumer service?

Thank you in advance.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I am a big music lover but am fed up with low quality earphones. I want to get a quality pair for under $200, preferably Etymotic. What stopped me was this- all I have is an Ipod touch 5g and my files are all mp3s. Will a pair of Etymotic earphones really pay off? The highest quality I have had so far is a pair of Sonys. Money sparse at the moment. I want to make sure this will be a worthwhile purchase.

Sub question: many people on the forum seem to own a pair of Etymotics. Does the company offer some sort of replacement or exchange program if they brake? Do they have good costumer service?

Thank you in advance.

While I can't speak to Etymotics, I have used the Klipsch Image S4i's for over three years without issue and have loved them. They come with a two year warranty, and you can easily order a pack of tips if you happen to loose one. And they're oval shaped so they fit your ear much better than the perfectly round ones everyone else seems to use.

I got them for $99.99 back then. But they can be found for much cheaper online. Amazon has them, and the new version S4i (II) for a little over $50. They also have the R6.

They aren't terribly bass heavy, but will give a good kick when needed for sure. The mids are great and I can actually hear the singer over the guitars, and I cant say that for some other headphones I've used that were much more expensive. The highs are excellent, but occasionally a little too high, but that's usually at volumes higher than I should be listening to :rolleyes:

For the price, it's worth trying out. I've used Best Buy in the past to help find the right pair for me since they have a simple 15 day return policy if you've got one nearby.

As to the iPod and your MP3's. The iPod should sound just fine, I've had the 4th gen touch, various iPhones, my iPod classic and just picked up a 5.5gen iPod to CF card mod with the *famous* Wolfson Dac. The difference is negligible. Where you notice the difference is with your headphones over anything, then the quality of the recording/file. If your MP3's are at around 256 KBPS, either CBR or VBR, they will sound just fine. I can start hearing compression around the 128k mark with MP3's, but less so with AAC.

I usually rip in Lossless, but for most uses, 256K AAC is perfectly fine, and there's likely no need to go redo your whole MP3 collection.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Does anyone have any tips for keeping earpods from slowly working their way out of my ears?

It's annoying; I love the way the earpods sound and perform for both music and talking, but if I so much as start walking, or even *chew food*, they work their way out and bass response goes away.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Just bought a pair of Shure SE846 IEMs. A little pricy at $999. Can't wait to get them next week.

Current headphone collection:

Shure SE535
Shure E500PTH
Shure E4C
Westone 4R
Westone 3

Out of all of these, I like the 4Rs the most.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, this thread was started six years ago; therefore, some of the replies which praised some of the excellent products available at the time, might offer different recommendations now.

I use the Bowers & Wilkins P5s in both my iPod classic and my iPod Touch, and find them an excellent headphone: They are comfortable, very portable, solidly made, offer great audio quality and are stylish in appearance.

Bose have made some very good headphones, and Grado, Shure and Audio Technica also offer excellent headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.