Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
Where do I find firmware information? Looked through the display menu and did not find it.

I too am running OnScreen Control software and don't see firmware info. However, I'm currently running my monitor with an HDMI cable and I read somewhere you need to run with a ThunderBolt cable for full functionality of the sw.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I was disappointment at first but having used the new 23.7 UF I have to say I’m impressed.

have you used the old one?

i'm sure it's good, but now sure how good it is compared to the 21.5" i have here :) + i don't want 2 different sizes anyway.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
have you used the old one?

i'm sure it's good, but now sure how good it is compared to the 21.5" i have here :) + i don't want 2 different sizes anyway.

I used it in store a few times. I also compared the 21.5 iMac with the new UltraFine to make sure the screen looked good and also the drop in PPI wasn’t an issue (it isn’t).

Yea if you have 21.5 already then the 23.7 is a non-starter.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
has anyone tried/seen others talk about using two monitors, both in portrait orientation?

my MBP is on its last legs (battery swelling) and i'm thinking about picking up a mac mini instead but i'd miss having a second screen to pass things off to. using duet (sidecar instead, probably, from the fall) is a possibility but i'm also looking at replacing my 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor with two 24" ones and using them both in portrait mode.

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
FWIW, I just got the LG 32UL950-W, and I love it. It scales really well to a lot of different resolutions, has great color in DCI-P3 mode, and it's big enough that I can sit about 3 feet away and see everything very comfortably. I switched from an ASUS PB258Q and my first thought on turning this LG on is that it's beautiful. I haven't had any of the issues a few people mention yet (IPS and PWM), and I love this thing. My only issue is that at maximum brightness it is BLINDING so I have it around 40% right now.

I'm thinking about getting this too. What's the issues people have had with the monitor?

Does the iGPU handle this monitor well? No lag or glitches?

Thinking about mounting it on a wall, which finally would give me a good reason to have gone Mac Mini instead of iMac

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
Has anyone tried the BenQ PD3220U with the Mac Mini? Most importantly... Is the stand close to space grey? :S

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
in my experience, "close to" looks worse than a complementary color option

Yeah, it would have to be pretty damn close I guess.

To my satisfaction, the case for my 1000 dollar glasses is an exact space grey match. It sits next to my mac mini

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah, it would have to be pretty damn close I guess.

To my satisfaction, the case for my 1000 dollar glasses is an exact space grey match. It sits next to my mac mini

i mean, if you have 1000$ for glasses i guess you could get it professional painted :D

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I'm running a 38" ultra wide at 3840x1600 over HDMI on the integrated graphics and it's fine for desktop / 2D work and light photo/video editing.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
FYI: in the OS 10.14.6 notes
"Resolves a graphics issue that may occur when waking from sleep"
Which I've been have an occasional issue with on my '18 i5 Mini.
Yes,
video problem is fixed with my 34WK95U-W.

Sad thing still is, the loudspeakers (quite good in this monitor, maybe because it's so big?) will still go silent, if you let the monitor get to the sleep. Not sure if this will be ever fixed, this might be last version of 10.14. I'm not upgrading to 10.15 any time soon. There's no replacement for my CS6master.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Wow. I didn't know CS6 would run on Mojave at all. Cheers for keeping that running!
Officially it doesn't. But like every other 32-bit software...

I don't make money with cs, other than very rarely, so subscription is not for me, I need to downgrade to something, but don't know yet where...

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Officially it doesn't. But like every other 32-bit software...

I don't make money with cs, other than very rarely, so subscription is not for me, I need to downgrade to something, but don't know yet where...
Surely come Catalina, it's dead, given it's only supporting 64-bit only apps?

So unless people intend to stay on Mojave forever, they'll have to upgrade sometime.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Surely come Catalina, it's dead, given it's only supporting 64-bit only apps?
So unless people intend to stay on Mojave forever, they'll have to upgrade sometime.
I intend to stay in Mojave for at least a year or two.
I'm used to skip versions in this annoying every-year-new-system-before-bugs-are-fixed.
Hard to say, since there are so many problems still in Mojave.
My 7 months old LG 5k2k monitor still loses sound, because of buggy drivers, .6 fixed the issue with picture.
Permission repairing in Mojave is PITA, you need to have system and home folder in same disk, because the command can only fix a whole disk and all of it at once.

Haven't tried yet how cs6 works in virtual machine... but it might very well be, that I'll replace Adobe's software with something more affordable when not in daily profitable professional use.
I use my scanner software in 10.6. ...

Last edited:
Reactions: jimthing

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I intend to stay in Mojave for at least a year or two.
I'm used to skip versions in this annoying every-year-new-system-before-bugs-are-fixed.
Hard to say, since there are so many problems still in Mojave.
My 7 months old LG 5k2k monitor still loses sound, because of buggy drivers, .6 fixed the issue with picture.
Permission repairing in Mojave is PITA, you need to have system and home folder in same disk, because the command can only fix a whole disk and all of it at once.

Haven't tried yet how cs6 works in virtual machine... but it might very well be, that I'll replace Adobe's software with something more affordable when not in daily profitable professional use.
I use my scanner software in 10.6. ...

depends on which adobe programs you use, Affinity is a nice alternative.

Reactions: toke lahti

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Yes,
video problem is fixed with my 34WK95U-W.

Sad thing still is, the loudspeakers (quite good in this monitor, maybe because it's so big?) will still go silent, if you let the monitor get to the sleep. Not sure if this will be ever fixed, this might be last version of 10.14. I'm not upgrading to 10.15 any time soon. There's no replacement for my CS6master.
Sad to say, but the loudspeaker silence after sleep is still here, even after that supplemental update.

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW
I just tried QHD display (DELL P2418D) it was horrible experience. I can say, only 4K-5K displays are the way to go with MacOS, because of scaling.

Some of the Dell monitors I've had (3014, 4317q) wouldn't connect to my Macs (Mini, MBPro) in RGB mode, but instead were connecting via YPbPr input color format, and everything looked like it had JPEG artifacts. I went online and found how to get/make updated monitor profile (EDID?) files, and once I had them added things looked a world better.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Some of the Dell monitors I've had (3014, 4317q) wouldn't connect to my Macs (Mini, MBPro) in RGB mode, but instead were connecting via YPbPr input color format, and everything looked like it had JPEG artifacts. I went online and found how to get/make updated monitor profile (EDID?) files, and once I had them added things looked a world better.

Random question, how do you check to see if it is in YPbPr? Does that show up in the System Report for the display (the framebuffer setting) or is it hidden somewhere else?

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW
Random question, how do you check to see if it is in YPbPr? Does that show up in the System Report for the display (the framebuffer setting) or is it hidden somewhere else?

You can usually find out from the monitor itself with the On Screen Menu. Menu -> Color Settings -> Input Color Format is the menu item on My Dell 3014 monitor, and it will show 2 options "RBG" or "YPbPr"

some searching will find more info on the issue: here's one

https://spin.atomicobject.com/2018/08/24/macbook-pro-external-monitor-display-problem/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.