Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Has anyone tried the LG 32UL950-W 32" with the mini?

I just purchased two, and they work well!

The thunderbolt daisy chaining works fine. I tried mine with both the internal GPU as well as the Blackmagic eGPU Pro and both worked. I didn’t spend too much time using the internal gpu so can’t comment in performance.

After calibrating with the colormunki display, they look really nice.

I chose these over the 5K due to more screen real estate and better compatibility.

NOTE: If you ARE using an eGPU, you WILL have the same issues related to FileVault not working well with the mini, as the boot screen will not appear using an eGPU (which you need to login).

Last edited:
Reactions: HeavyMantra

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2019
NC
I am thinking about getting a mini for my office. I don’t do anything with regards to graphics/design. I need a triple monitor set-up for my workflow though. Which monitors do you recommend?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So my i7/512/32 Mini will arrive tomorrow :)

I'm going to be running two Dell U2518 displays, these are 25" QHD/2560x1440, really terrific, good mix of price/size/resolution/PPI (especially the latter).

I'm currently running both of the from the two TB2 [mDP] ports on my '15 MBP 15", both using the Dell supplied mDP-to-DP cable. The displays have DP and mDP in, as well as HDMI 2.0 (lots of USB 3.0 connectivity too, with 2a power, very handy).

As I understand it, I can use (and will need to buy):

- 2 x USB-C to mDP adapters, use existing cables (mDP to DP at the monitor)
- 2 x USB-C to mDP cables (just about as cheap as the adapter, one less connection point)
- 1 x either of the above, and a good HDMI cable (own lots of these, including the one supplied with the displays)

I guess the last option is the least cost, and I'm assuming I'm not missing anything in terms of a downside to mixing the two displays across two different ports (like any different in sleep/wake issues, etc.)

FWIW, the displays do support MST, but I've read the implementation on the Mac is a little janky (and there are plenty of ports)

FWIW #2, my MBP is the model with the dGPU, it's only a 370X, but I'm interested to see if there's any perceivable difference for me, I'm not doing anything GPU intensive, lots of general purpose computing and development work, that includes the need for a Windows VM, so big consideration on the performance of the latter as well.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
So my i7/512/32 Mini will arrive tomorrow :)

I'm going to be running two Dell U2518 displays, these are 25" QHD/2560x1440, really terrific, good mix of price/size/resolution/PPI (especially the latter).

I'm currently running both of the from the two TB2 [mDP] ports on my '15 MBP 15", both using the Dell supplied mDP-to-DP cable. The displays have DP and mDP in, as well as HDMI 2.0 (lots of USB 3.0 connectivity too, with 2a power, very handy).

As I understand it, I can use (and will need to buy):

- 2 x USB-C to mDP adapters, use existing cables (mDP to DP at the monitor)
- 2 x USB-C to mDP cables (just about as cheap as the adapter, one less connection point)
- 1 x either of the above, and a good HDMI cable (own lots of these, including the one supplied with the displays)

I guess the last option is the least cost, and I'm assuming I'm not missing anything in terms of a downside to mixing the two displays across two different ports (like any different in sleep/wake issues, etc.)

FWIW, the displays do support MST, but I've read the implementation on the Mac is a little janky (and there are plenty of ports)

FWIW #2, my MBP is the model with the dGPU, it's only a 370X, but I'm interested to see if there's any perceivable difference for me, I'm not doing anything GPU intensive, lots of general purpose computing and development work, that includes the need for a Windows VM, so big consideration on the performance of the latter as well.
I don’t believe MST works for separate displays on macOS, FYI.

If you want to save a port, several places (owc, Akitio, startech, sonnet) sell a TB3 to dual DP adapter. I have the owc one but they all appear very similar so I’m guessing it’s a white label product from a common manufacturer. Not the cheapest but still cheaper than a TB3 dock with multiple video ports.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@Stephen.R Cool, thanks, I wound up with a $10 adapter (from a decent vendor), USB-C to mDP, I'll use the current cable on one, and I'm going to try the other monitor with HDMI. I saw a few posts around the internet suggesting two displays split across TB3 and HDMI can cause problems, but more people doing it with success. Figured I had time to experiment :)

Side note: I also needed a UPS (I've been using a notebook, so "built in" battery backup :D), scored a factory battery for an APC, saved $60 vs. buying a new one, both items coming free ship, one day, tomorrow.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
Which Viewsonic would you get? I haven't used one of their monitors since the bad old CRT days.
I'm running a Viewsonic VX2476-SMHD on Thunderbolt3 to Display Port on my 2018 MacMini i5 model. Display is very sharp wakes from sleep instantly in this configuration. Bezels are minimal on this model and it is ultra thin. Just looks great on my desk. And you can't beat the price. I thought about spending more for the LG 144hz model but then I realized that the MacMini internal graphics wouldn't support that frequency anyway. Glad I saved the money and went with the Viewsonic.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I thought about spending more for the LG 144hz model but then I realized that the MacMini internal graphics wouldn't support that frequency anyway.

I’ve run 1440p displays at 144Hz with the internal graphics.

But I agree there isn’t much benefit unless you are also gaming on it, and the Mini would choke trying to do that for 3D titles.

MiniMacDonald

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2018
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
My Mac now flashes to black screen after it goes to sleep right after I type my password. Any ideas?
Are running the latest Catalina OS update? If so, I would report both to Apple and the manufacturer what is happening. It will get a fix escalated. It took one update after the Catalina install to resolve my black screen which occurred after install of Catalina. Try another monitor or TV to see if you can maintain a display after logging in then that should confirm it is most likely a monitor driver conflict with the OS.

Reactions: inmnbob

MacNeal

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
My Mac now flashes to black screen after it goes to sleep right after I type my password. Any ideas?
Since I got my late 2018 Mini, the boot-up has been: turn on the Mac, turn on my Dell monitor, watch the line under the white apple on the black screen rapidly go white from left to right, then have the screen go black for a few seconds while the monitor LED goes from blue to orange (energy-save mode) where it is that for another couple of seconds and then turns blue again, the log-in screen comes up, I log-in, and the desktop shows up almost immediately. (I'm still on Mojave 10.14.6. I'm in no rush to go to Catalina and lose use of my various 32-bit apps.)

But, I guess your issue is with what happens after you type your password. I guess I'm no help for that. Sorry, didn't mean to waste your time.

BTW, if anyone knows a way to quit having the Mac OS remind me every day to update to 1) Catalina and 2) a version of GarageBand that it can't successfully update (and which I don't care about or use, anyway), please email me. It rankles me that I either can't turn off the reminders or don't know how to do so.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
BTW, if anyone knows a way to quit having the Mac OS remind me every day to update to 1) Catalina and 2) a version of GarageBand that it can't successfully update (and which I don't care about or use, anyway), please email me. It rankles me that I either can't turn off the reminders or don't know how to do so.
Interesting! I can't remember having seen the reminder after dismissing it once (iirc). Either I manage to blissfully ignore it popping up constantly or it does not happen on my system. Will watch out for it next time I log in.

MiniMacDonald

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2018
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Since I got my late 2018 Mini, the boot-up has been: turn on the Mac, turn on my Dell monitor, watch the line under the white apple on the black screen rapidly go white from left to right, then have the screen go black for a few seconds while the monitor LED goes from blue to orange (energy-save mode) where it is that for another couple of seconds and then turns blue again, the log-in screen comes up, I log-in, and the desktop shows up almost immediately. (I'm still on Mojave 10.14.6. I'm in no rush to go to Catalina and lose use of my various 32-bit apps.)

But, I guess your issue is with what happens after you type your password. I guess I'm no help for that. Sorry, didn't mean to waste your time.

Actually, my issue was that I could not even log into my Mini after the initial upgrade to the Catalina OS build. The 4K monitor would not wake. I had some interaction with Apple support which initially led nowhere. I then shutdown my Mini via the power switch believing the monitor was the issue. Sure enough once I used one of my HDTVs (ironically the same brand as the monitor) it worked and I was able to complete the Catalina OS update. I then went back to hook up the 4K monitor and the issue persisted if the system was placed in sleep or shutdown. I informed the monitor manufacturer of the issue and I once again spoke to Apple support. In this call, I was instructed to remove a window app / command that I think controlled the wake command. It worked as long as I used their instructions if the system was woken from sleep, restart,or boot up. Once another fix was issued by Apple I did not have to use that procedure, but it is still a little temperamental to wake from sleep mode. I believe it is an issue between the HDMI socket on the mini and it’s ability to communicate with a 4K monitor. It is could a monitor firmware or Mini firmware issue, but I believe it is an OS issue. As for the GarageBand issue, simply delete that app by dragging it into your trash bin. To do that go to the applications folder, locate the GarageBand band app, drag it to trash and your notices should disappear. The Catalina reminder will not disappear until you install that OS. To update to not update to Catalina is a personal choice, but for security of your system I still believe the update is essential. I am still new to the Macverse and somewhat disappointed that the Catalina OS update is this buggy. I thought I left that all behind when I switched from a Windows OS. Apparently not, as many long time Mac users have said that Catalina is the worst OS update to date. Good luck.

Last edited:

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Actually, my issue was that I could not even log into my Mini after the initial upgrade to the Catalina OS build. The 4K monitor would not wake. I had some interaction with Apple support which initially led nowhere. I then shutdown my Mini via the power switch believing the monitor was the issue. Sure enough once I used one of my HDTVs (ironically the same brand as the monitor) it worked and I was able to complete the Catalina OS update. I then went back to hook up the 4K monitor and the issue persisted if the system was placed in sleep or shutdown. I informed the monitor manufacturer of the issue and I once again spoke to Apple support. In this call, I was instructed to remove a window app / command that I think controlled the wake command. It worked as long as I used their instructions if the system was woken from sleep, restart,or boot up. Once another fix was issued by Apple I did not have to use that procedure, but it is still a little temperamental to wake from sleep mode. I believe it is an issue between the HDMI socket on the mini and it’s ability to communicate with a 4K monitor. It is could a monitor firmware or Mini firmware issue, but I believe it is an OS issue. As for the GarageBand issue, simply delete that app by dragging it into your trash bin. To do that go to the applications folder, locate the GarageBand band app, drag it to trash and your notices should disappear. The Catalina reminder will not disappear until you install that OS. To update to not update to Catalina is a personal choice, but for security of your system I still believe the update is essential. I am still new to the Macverse and somewhat disappointed that the Catalina OS update is this buggy. I thought I left that all behind when I switched from a Windows OS. Apparently not, as many long time Mac users have said that Catalina is the worst OS update to date. Good luck.

I think you still get security updates on older OSs ... at least I do ... Not sure if it is AS secure though.

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Just bought a 43" Acer DM431K to replace my dual 27" monitor setup. So far it is doing what I hoped and I basically have enough room for multiple workspaces and multitasking on one monitor instead of two. I wall mounted and moved my desk back about 6 inches to give me more viewing space but I am happy with my decision, and it also works as a 43" 4K TV in my office at night with an Apple TV hooked up.

performative

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2020
Hello everybody! I am currently considering display options for my mac mini (i3 version). At the moment I realy like two options - ASUS TUF VG27AQ and BenQ PD2700U. Their price is almost the same.

I wanna ask your opinion or experience since my knowledge regarding displays is practically zero :( Including their shortcomings and features of using with mac mini. If you have alternative offers in this price range, I will be glad to listen to.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
The following discussion of monitor issues helped me:

I bought the BenQ PD2700U and use it for work that doesn't require Retina-level resolution or game-like response. So far, I've been happy with the performance.

tms0425

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2020
Ordering a 2020 Mac Mini I7/16gb/1T SSD. I'm not a "heavy" app user in terms of video, photo, or gaming, just general home office use, browsing, music and tv streaming, spreadsheets, wp, coding, etc. After exhausting searches on 4k 27" screens I came down to the Dell U2720Q and a couple of similar LG's, all ~$600 or so. Reading the Dell and RTings forums it seems Dell wants nothing to do with MacOS compatibility testing, so Dell won't support it on Macs or guarantee it works at all. Anyone with experience with the previous U2718A or new U2720Q care to comment? TIA

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Since people seem to like <30” displays, I just wonder why there isn’t a 3k’ish option for them?
4k seems to be too much and 2.5k can be often too limiting vertically.
Bring back 4:3 for ”basic” use?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Since people seem to like <30” displays, I just wonder why there isn’t a 3k’ish option for them?
4k seems to be too much and 2.5k can be often too limiting vertically.

If you use a 27" 2560x1440 display, you'll have exactly the same 'screen real estate' as a 27" 5K iMac, but at 'non retina' clarity.

If you use a 21" 1920x1080 display, you'll have almost exactly the same 'screen real estate' as a 21" 4K iMac, or exactly the same as the discontinued 21" 4K UltraFine display, but at 'non retina' clarity.

With the way macOS does UI scaling, for optimum results, 4K isn't "too much", it's "too little", for anything above about a 24" display (and if you want exact pixel rendering and sit quite close/don't like slightly larger UI, arguably, anything above about 22").

Reactions: frou

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
if mine 30" monitor aspect ratio is 21:9, would i be able to get a full screen and watching movie if it's 1080p?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.