Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
deadfrog said:
If you aint seen it, check it out... well impressive...

http://www.leoburnett.ca

If people have seen better, post it... id be interested to see...

cheers

rich.
While impressive, I found navigating the site wasted too much time.

I like some flash sites but prefer simple easy to navigate sites:

- Go to site

- Find needed info

- Leave/Go to next site.

Flash sites tend to have one spend a lot of time trying to get to the info that they want. This one, while if follows that flow, does have a fun touch to it.

Sushi

rozwell

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2004
i love flash sites and this one is interesting, but i defiantly agree with the accessibility comment, which is odd, because i feel that interaction, especially when its a highly immersive and exploratory experience, leaves a much more vibrant and notable mark than more static sites. i think also one other thing to point out, interaction removed completely, is that this site is very well designed visually (which is where most people fail IMO).

a quick break down of simple tricks.
- uses flashes drawing API
- mimics 3d using scale, rotation and color.
- sound architecture also aides into tricking you into depth (though i feel the pencil sounds are a bit random)

steveedge

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Way cool

I love it, must have taken a lot of time. However, most of my clients would rather pay me half as much for a "simpler" get the job done site.
Personally though, I think it's way cool.
I bet all those timelines and layers caused someone some Flash nightmares.
;)
Oh, if you click on big black pencil the pencil turns into a curser and stops writing.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
It's one of the coolest site I've ever seen. Nevertheless the navigation part is not so practical. I wonder how it would be with the pen-based mouse. Anyway, it's Leo Burnet's.

L

Lau

Yeah, I thought that was amazing. I'm not sure how well it goes with his work though - I was expecting interesting cutting-edge work, not bland corporate stuff. But, yes, a great site.

http://www.thibaud.be/ is also an excellent portfolio site.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I like the concept of the pencil and all, but I don't know, the rest of the site wasn't too impressive. For me at least. I like Flash sites and all, but the navigation in a Flash site should be easy as if it were HTML based, just with a little more "eye candy" to it. But, again, it does seem original.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
wow, very impressive. Ad agency sites should be the best really, but most of them are awful. I suppose the web isn't generally the first port of call for most people looking for an ad agency of that calibre.

Incidentally, does anyone know how you do these kinds of Flash sites whereby you click on something and move or zoom into a particular thing, and then on exit you zoom out again as if in reverse. I mean you could do it with motion tweening but you'd have to do a different tween for each bit and the site would be a nightmare to maintain or update- it would seem it's done purely with actionscript, but then how do you get the nice easing motion? Whenever i've done motion in actionscript it turns out jerky and linear...maybe I'm just not clever enough. Wish I'd paid more attention in maths lessons now.

Saw this the other day- very nice and very simple use of flash, I thought (although the music seems an uneccessary embellishent): http://www.mortenlaursen.com

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
I have a general rule... If I can't figure out what the site is for/about in under 30 seconds, I close the window or go back to where I came from.

I'm not wasting my time on pretty if there is no usability/understandability.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
Lau said:
Yeah, I thought that was amazing. I'm not sure how well it goes with his work though - I was expecting interesting cutting-edge work, not bland corporate stuff..

fyi, Leo Burnett are one of the largest advertising agencies in the world, hence the corporate work and the money to put into a gratuitously elaborate website...

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I like the site and all. Pretty cool. However, the pencil just seemed to be a bit to large for me and it just did not make much sense why. I found drawing with it awkward. I'll try to show this to my professional practices class on Monday.

L

Lau

londonweb said:
fyi, Leo Burnett are one of the largest advertising agencies in the world, hence the corporate work and the money to put into a gratuitously elaborate website...

Yeah, I know, and they do what they do very well. But I would expect a creative website like that to have more creative work behind it, and consequently expect a slick advertising company to have a slick, more conventional website.

Having said that, I've seen this posted in various places on the web, and so maybe their good advertising skills are working as well as expected - we're all taking about it, aren't we?!

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
Lau said:
Yeah, I know, and they do what they do very well. But I would expect a creative website like that to have more creative work behind it, and consequently expect a slick advertising company to have a slick, more conventional website.

I think most ad agencies would love to be doing cutting edge creative work, but clients get in the way a lot of the time. Possibly one of the only times they get to have complete creative freedom is on their own website.

I agree though, it does rather generate a lot of anticipation only to be met with bland, seen-it-before type work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.