Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a usbc dock for use with the 2018 mini? ive seen some designed for the mbp that look like an extension of it and plug in to two oorts

using the usba ports causes bt interference so im looking for something that gives me a couple more usba ports, maybe an sd card reader... and hopefully doesnt cause interference. dont need hdmi, ethernet, etc. but if it has it no big deal.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a usbc dock for use with the 2018 mini? ive seen some designed for the mbp that look like an extension of it and plug in to two oorts

using the usba ports causes bt interference so im looking for something that gives me a couple more usba ports, maybe an sd card reader... and hopefully doesnt cause interference. dont need hdmi, ethernet, etc. but if it has it no big deal.

There's this. I have no personal experience with it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/19/satechi-stand-mac-mini/

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Just got my Satechi unit. Very nice. Color is not an exact match to space grey.

Attachments

• IMG_5136.jpeg
    IMG_5136.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 223

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco

I use the plugable T3 and have been very happy with it. That said the Saetchi dock posted in this thread looks very nice. Especially in a cabinet.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
How are you liking the Satechi stand? I’ve thought about getting it for mine, but Ive been waiting to see what people think of it.

I just picked one up too. Need some ports up front, and liked that this didn’t mess up the footprint.

So far, it’s been fine. The complaint I have is the micro SD slot clicks way too far in, and generally the ports are a little tight so you can’t use the weight of the mini to keep it in place when you insert plugs. Need to see if it affects temps. Mostly don’t want them to be worse.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I have 2 hubs, a USB-A and a USB-C. I think one interferes with my wifi signal but I use my Mini hard-wired with ethernet so I don't sweat it much. Both are 4 ports and both offer enough power to charge a watch.

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco

Do you want a dock or a hub/dongle so you can plug in usb-a or hdmi etc into your Mac?

There’s a big difference (in price too). Depends on your use case.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
I really like how my Satechi Mini Stand/Hub adds SD card slots, 3 USB ports and an audio jack out front within easy reach. But I’m not so happy that it increases the internal temps by roughly 5c (9f), even when my i7 Mini is only running various network and system monitoring tools overnight (e.g. Peak Hour 4, Intel Power Gadget, Activity Monitor, Macs Fan Control).

Without the Satechi, overnight temps range from 38-40c. With the Satechi, they range from 44-45c. You can easily feel the difference with your hand on the top of the mini case. At 38-40c the case is pleasantly warm to the touch. At 44-45c the case is uncomfortably warm to leave your hand there.

FWIW resting the Mini on two long bamboo coffee stirrers, raises the Mini off of the Satechi, leaving an approx. 1/4” gap. This increase the air flow and reduces the temps back down to “normal”.

GetRealBro

Reactions: Krevnik
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.