Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Logsdon13

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Why size SanDisk you use? Wouldn’t think size matters but you know what they say....I have a 1TB ssd

Logsdon13

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
I guess at this point all I can try is restoring the iPad and potentially trying a new CCK. Beyond that maybe I need to try a different SSD although really like the features of this SanDisk and got a great cyber Monday deal.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
What the best device to add to iPad Pro for adding storage to edit movies and videos without taking up storage on devise?
For me this has been pretty much the most painless solution.
y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQiAz53vBRCpARIsAPPsz8W4-C61J6UPZpYv2Nk4ZfS5rjLygy4Wsi8vGmoV1eFOQuwJ71Ma0poaAmSFEALw_wcB
sandisk_sdddc2_0128g_a46_ultra_dual_jump_drive_1573753553_1507904.jpg

You don't say if you need to move files or anything. I've found this has been an inexpensive solution for moving files from the iPad to desktop. I imagine it can work as storage, if you aren't looking for sizes over 128GB.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Maybe, if you can return it, try the 500GB model, and if that does not work then the problem is somewhere else, if it does than it means the 1TB takes more power and the only way to use it would be to have a powered hub, which is more inconvenient since you cannot use a power bank for that when on the go...

Logsdon13

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Maybe, if you can return it, try the 500GB model, and if that does not work then the problem is somewhere else, if it does than it means the 1TB takes more power and the only way to use it would be to have a powered hub, which is more inconvenient since you cannot use a power bank for that when on the go...
I may try that so I know. Can never have too many ssds lol. Although was really wanting 1TB so maybe will consider the powered hub. I do agree it would be inconvenient but I think internal storage may be sufficient while on the go and I can utilize the ssd at home. The iPad is my primary device and I use it a lot for editing video and raw photos. The sad card reader can get new files on the iPad from the cameras and then I move or back up to the ssd at home. So idk I’ll have to think. I’ll let you know if your proposed solutions work.

Logsdon13

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
The verdict is in. Size DOES matter! 500GB works. I’m also going to try the 1TB on a usb hub. I’ll post back if that works.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Logsdon13

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
So where is the limiter on pass-through power with the SSD in this case? My Lightning-based 10.5 can handle large storage with power provided to the adapter.
No idea. All I know is with up to 18watts power applied to the adapter 1TB ssd does not work on my iPad Air. 500gb does. Doesn’t make sense to me but that’s the case for me.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I recall someone noting once that the Airs handled things differently.

I have multiple Sandisk Extreme SSD's in 500gb and 1TB versions and they all work fine on my gen 2 iPP 12.9 with the USB 3.0 to Lightning adapter as long as I power the adapter via lightning cable.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I recall someone noting once that the Airs handled things differently.

I have multiple Sandisk Extreme SSD's in 500gb and 1TB versions and they all work fine on my gen 2 iPP 12.9 with the USB 3.0 to Lightning adapter as long as I power the adapter via lightning cable.

Yeah, I recall a report in another thread that they did not support the power pass-through to external storage but I never saw anyone other than the particular poster confirm that.

Edit: revmacian was the poster who said that in posts here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-air-2-ipados-13-flash-drive.2206356/post-27889437

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Got a semi related question. Can files be pulled from a HFS+ formatted hard drive? Got a couple .PSD’s that I’d like to simply grab them without the hassle of booting my old computer and buying a Lightning/USB stick (an eventual purchase).

using a second gen 12.9

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The verdict is in. Size DOES matter! 500GB works. I’m also going to try the 1TB on a usb hub. I’ll post back if that works.
Wow, you know, I almost bought the 1TB than canceled and bought the 500GB instead, since I could not justify that much storage. Glad I did it... That's also very useful information for others
[automerge]1575542654[/automerge]
Interesting. I can use a 4TB HDD on my 12.9 Pro.
Let's be clear on this. I think I have said it before in this thread. The 12.9 pro (including the first gen) supports USB 3.0 speed, contrary to the non pros (and to the 9.7 pro) that only support 2.0 and therefore have less power. The UBS 3.0 lightning devices have simply more power, since USB 3.0 needs more power. Any 12.9 ipad supports any drive once you plug the lightning cable in, including mechanical hard drives...
[automerge]1575542807[/automerge]
Got a semi related question. Can files be pulled from a HFS+ formatted hard drive? Got a couple .PSD’s that I’d like to simply grab them without the hassle of booting my old computer and buying a Lightning/USB stick (an eventual purchase).

using a second gen 12.9
Yes, I have tested it. I did it with a mechanical drive that I use for my mac. It worked with any USB 3.0 ipads, as long as you plug power in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ungibbed

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, I recall a report in another thread that they did not support the power pass-through to external storage but I never saw anyone other than the particular poster confirm that.

Edit: revmacian was the poster who said that in posts here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-air-2-ipados-13-flash-drive.2206356/post-27889437
this is more an hypothesis than a proved fact. And in the end it does not matter much.
The reality is
1. with some (non powered) UBS 2.0 hubs any ipados ipad can make most thumb drives work without any external power
2. some drives that require more power (those that have an ssd controller, including a few high speed thumb drives) will not work with solution 1, but will work with any ipados ipad provided that you plug the lightning cable.
3. Some SSDs (higher capacity or simply less power efficient) and all HDDs will only work with USB 3.0 ipads (all the pros, except the 9.7) and lightning plugged in (or you'll need a powered hub).

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
Have you tried the SanDisk extreme ssd with a lightening iPad and can confirm it should work? I just picked one up to use with my iPad Air along with the camera connection adapter with power plugged in and the iPad has no clue a drive is attached. It will recognize a usb. My ssd is formatted to exFAT so I think

thanks for the tip. I will try it this evening and let you know the verdict. Fingers crossed!

I use the sandisk extreme on my phone. Not because it’s full but just for extra stuff. It’s not the ideal situation for stuff you’re going to use every day. Upgrading to a bigger iPad is what I’d do

Logsdon13

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
I also tried a powered usb hub and the 1TB Sandisk extreme does work that way and the lighting cable doesn’t even need plugged into the adapter. I never would have though the 1TB uses that much more than the 500gb given these are solid state. But apparently the difference is significant when trying to use them with a lightening iPad. So there you have it. Thanks you everyone who put in their 2 cents.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
It's probably not power related best that I can tell. I have both 500gb and 1tb versions of the Sandisk Extreme SSD drive along with an inline USB voltage meter. Both pull around 0.3 amps at 5 volts from the usb 3.0 lightning camera adapter on my 12.9" gen 2 iPP when browsing and opening files from the drives. I have to think it comes down to how the devices handshake and establish connection.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Haven't tried. There have been a number of posts mentioning the fact that you need a powered hub to get enough juice to the SSD for it to run. Don't know if there is one that will run with just the juice from the iPad port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.