Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
I was pretty stoked to hear that the folks at Bethesda are giving us a new game, Fallout 76. No real info will be available till their official announcement at E3, next month, but there are a couple of clues in the teaser trailer. The date on the Pip-Boy is 25 years after the bombs fell. Looks like you get to venture forth from the Vault and rebuild society. Can't wait for further info!

Reactions: Gravydog316

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Here are some still frames that have some clues in them. The one for the empty vault has a big banner touting Reclamation Day.
vault-76.png

Here's a closeup of the Pip Boy and the date.

Fallout76_Teaser_Pip_Boy_1527685273.png

Fallout76_Teaser_VaultSuit_1527685282.png

A vault dweller suit .

Fallout76_Teaser_Atrium_1527685269.png

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Only drawback I have heard so far is that it will be online based and require an Internet connection at all times. But there has not been confirmed as of yet. I’m sure E3, Bethesda will inform us more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Fallout 76: Everything we know about Bethesda's online survival RPG

It's the biggest Fallout game ever made!
According to Howard, Fallout 76 is the largest Fallout game ever made. In fact, the game world it's set in will be four times larger than Fallout 4, the last largest game in the series.

"Set in the hills of West Virginia," he said, "You are one of the first to emerge into a very different and untamed wasteland." And indeed -- it is different. Howard says the world is huge, diverse, and features six distinct regions to explore, each pulling from real culture, locations and even legends from the area.

Fallout 76 is a shared-world survival game that's 'entirely online'
You aren't the only vault dweller escaping the confines of an underground bunker to greet the irradiated world -- the Vault 76 in Fallout 76 is filled with other characters too -- and they're all real people.

I'm not a fan of online games, but I do love the fallout game so I'll probably give this a try.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I'm looking forward to trying it, but honestly the base/settlement-building stuff in Fallout 4 was my least favorite part of the game. Hope they improve the PS4 mechanics for it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's an interesting video that I think helps explains some of the details of the game, and is game play. Its a bit long but if there's lots of tidbits of info. I'll try to fill in some of those tidbits in case people don't want to watch a 40 minute video :)

Game play. As word has gotten out, its in essence a MMO survival game. You can choose to go at it alone or not. You can choose to be friendly or not, and likewise everyone you meet up may not be friendly.
There will be no NPCs, so anyone you meet up will be human. Basically you're heading out into the wilderness and all the cities, towns, and locations are berefit of any bereft human. I'm kind of bummed by this, especially since the game is set in West Virginia and the mentality is that that state escaped direct nuclear strikes.

Without NPCs the goal of the game is to kill the mutated monsters to try to get the launch codes to one of the missle sites to nuke a location, this gives you high quality resources but it helps seal up a place that has these flying monsters that are difficult to kill.

Crafting, and base building is a huge portion of the game, so if you're not killing monsters your setting up a home base for yourself. There still seems to be a lot of mystery and intrigue for you to investigate as you move around in the environment, but there doesn't seem to be much side quests, where as fallout 4 has tons of side quests.

All in all, this doesn't sound like a game that interests me much, maybe I'll still get it, but what I like to do with Fallout 4 is missing or at the very least diminished in Fallout 76

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
More info on the game play.

You need to eat and drink to survive and food spoils
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/213537/fallout-76-complete-faq/2
Food and drink for survival?
Yes - you will need to eat and drink for survival, and food items will spoil.

Radation will mutate you
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features/fallout-76-8-things-you-need-to-know-1870081
7) Radiation and Perk Cards
Similar to Fallout 1 and 2, radiation lets your character mutate to give you special buffs with certain penalties, such as having a larger health bar, but you being unable to regenerate health as fast as you normally would. You can cure mutations if you want, or you can make them permanent. Each time you level up, you get to choose a new ability in the form of what Fallout 76 calls a Perk Card. There's a limit to how many Perk Cards you can have active at one time, so you can swap them out. You can also trade Perk Cards within a party. This could have some practical use cases, such as activating all Perk Cards related to combat before taking on monsters or switching to a set of crafting cards in order to make more effective items for you and your squad.

There will be micro transactions
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/...ransactions-dlc-online-nukes-bethesda-e3-2018
  • There will be microtransactions, but Bethesda assures players that they will only be for cosmetic elements.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's some more criticisms regarding Fallout 76.

While I'm not jazzed up by much of the details of the game, I'm still tempted. Lack of NPCs however is probably the biggest stumbling block for my decision to buy it or not.

Reactions: Painter2002

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
I have tried to like Bethesda games (Fallout 4 and Skyrim) but just find them a bit boring. Yes they have a large open world but there doesn't seem to as much to do. Skyrim dungeons are basically linear and similar to all the others. Fallout 4 i quite liked the 50's radio channel but the 20 or so hours i played it for, felt like i was just wondering about on my own most of the time.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Blasphemy :p

Fallout is my favorite game of all time

Same here. I'm still a bit leery of '76 but I am more than willing to give it a try, based on my decades of fun with the franchise. I'm really looking forward to the new Elder Scrolls, but that's probably a few years out. Also looking forward yo Starfield, whenever it gets out. I have a whole family of Bethesda fans and everyone's trying to decode what platform they're getting '76 on (I'll be going with the X-Box. Looks like the wife and son will do the PC version).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Same here. I'm still a bit leery of '76 but I am more than willing to give it a try,
I may end up getting it.

The video I posted, nails how I fell in general (I'm not worked up about the lack of STEAM support). Bethesda had a product that was incredibly successful, so they went to introduce the next version, but changed nearly every part of what made it successful. Fallout 76 seems more ingrained in micromanaging the survival aspect, i.e., eating but ignores the more global aspect. No people (other then players) in the world. Clearly in a post apocalyptic of fallout there were survivors of the nuclear devastation, yet in FO76 there are none, you are completely alone except for those who walked out of the vault

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Fallout is my favorite game of all time
I second this (hence the fallout fanwork on my user profile, lol). My GF could probably count how many nights I stayed up a little too late playing Fallout 4.

Despite all the initial public skepticism on the game at first, I am pretty stoked about Fallout 76. I think it has promise of being a great game.
[doublepost=1535165081][/doublepost]
Fallout 4 i quite liked the 50's radio channel but the 20 or so hours i played it for, felt like i was just wondering about on my own most of the time.
Ah but you see that is part of how these games work. It really is based on your exploration and discover of new locations and side missions which I personally love. Bethesda designs these games really well for those who want to play in their own way, instead of a completely scripted storyline.

Having said that, if you've never played it before the first 15-20 hours or so of Fallout are best played by following the main quest, as it will kind of let you rank as well as figure out the mechanics. Otherwise it can be overwhelming (or underwhelming and boring), without the guidance of the main storyline. Once you played fallout once though, and go back in for a second playthrough, you don’t necessarily need to follow the main story right away (or at all if that’s what you want to do).

Reactions: RootBeerMan

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Looks good to me, but still undecided.
For the most part I think this should be an awesome game, so long as Bethesda keeps any griefing in check.

If you think about it, you have a max of 30 some players in a map four times the size of Fallout 4, that makes it pretty open and for the most part you can play solo, if that's what you want. And an interview by Gamespot gave more information about how the story missions are done, so it looks like it basically is going to be a typical Fallout, just without the unpredictability of having a few other players.

I am sure there will be some robotic NPCs in the game too (I'll be curious if you can make them companions), so it won't be completely devoid of conversations either.

I have high hopes for this game, and I am also glad that Bethesda is only allowing micro-transactions for on cosmetic items, unlike many other game devs who have ruined their games with micro transactions.

Reactions: compwiz1202

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you think about it, you have a max of 30 some players in a map four times the size of Fallout 4, that makes it pretty open and for the most part you can play solo,
That's my thinking, so the decision matrix then moves on whether the details of the game is enough to draw me in?

I really want to like this game, but then the small things keep coming back and I second guess it.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
That's my thinking, so the decision matrix then moves on whether the details of the game is enough to draw me in?

I really want to like this game, but then the small things keep coming back and I second guess it.
Meh. We've all wasted more money on worse games. This may be another of them, but I'm willing to give them a chance. I can live without NPC's, other than as something to have minor interactions with.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX

Here is an interesting read on an interview done by Game Informer that provides more detail: https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09/04/the-new-wasteland-what-to-expect-from-fallout-76

Looks like servers will be set to 24 players max, at least initially, and missions will be triggered robot NPCs, holotypes, and by proximity triggers (being close to a location with a mission).

I think a lot of the hesitation (and frustration) that us fans of Fallout are having is we really have not seen any gameplay (other than the trailer at E3), and Bethesda has been keeping very tight-lipped on the game overall. I think part of this is by design, to allow the game devs to make adjustments before game release.

In a way, I am glad Bethesda hasn't been overly boasting things about the game so it lets the players create their own opinion once the game comes out, and not some pre-concieved idea of how the game will be based on game play trailers and such. I also think many of the loudest and most prominent skeptics on youtube and the gaming community will be hushed once the game comes out, and people begin playing it. It sounds like it has most of the root features and gameplay of every other Fallout Bethesda has made.

I mean in all honesty, when was the last time Bethesda released a game that was a true dud and nobody wanted it (can't think of any right off personally)? And like @RootBeerMan said, I've wasted more money on other games that had so much more hype built-up by the game devs, and been thoroughly disappointed once it came out.

The only thing that I have heard that I will miss is the NPC interactions will lack the multichoice responses that helped build your character, but besides that, I think I will get my pre-order's money worth out of this game.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think Ill take the plunge and pre-order it. Now do I get the standard game for 60 dollars or the Tricentennial version. Storage is getting tight on my PS4, so I think I'll get the disk as opposed to digital download from the playstation network

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I think Ill take the plunge and pre-order it. Now do I get the standard game for 60 dollars or the Tricentennial version. Storage is getting tight on my PS4, so I think I'll get the disk as opposed to digital download from the playstation network
I was being frugal and bought the basic digital copy of Fallout 76 on the Playstation store, but the Tricentinnial definitely sounded cool with the cosmetic extras you get.

Unfortunately if you buy the disk it'll still likely take 40-60GB of space on the PS4's storage. If you are running out of space, and have a spare external hard drive (or an old laptop drive you can toss into an enclosure), you can plug it into the Playstation and get more storage. I have a 2TB external HDD plugged into my PS4 (through the front USB port). The drive has to be at least 250GB, and no more than 4TB (I think). It helps a lot and is sooo much better than having to choose which game you want to delete every time you get a new game.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
That's what I was thinking tbh.

Maybe, but I put an SSD in my PS for performance reasons.
You could always move your less played games to an external drive that you can just plug in whenever you want to play them later on, and free up the space.

On the SSD, was it hard to swap out the drives, and did it make a big difference? I have always wondered how big of a difference an SSD would make on a PS4, but I never really looked into it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
On the SSD, was it hard to swap out the drives, and did it make a big difference? I have always wondered how big of a difference an SSD would make on a PS4, but I never really looked into it.
Its definitely noticeable. swapping it out was not difficult at all. Like anything, the prep work in advance makes the process easier, i.e., backing up your settings on a thumb drive.

The YT videos I used were quite helpful

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Its definitely noticeable. swapping it out was not difficult at all. Like anything, the prep work in advance makes the process easier, i.e., backing up your settings on a thumb drive.

The YT videos I used were quite helpful
Thats interesting, I may have to look into that, especially now that SSD drives really aren't that expensive compared to what they used to be. I would probably grab a 1TB SSD to finally have more internal space (only 500GB internally).

Any YT videos in particular that you'd recommend?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.