Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm loving that game, its solid, bug free so far, everything that you'd want from the original makers of Fallout.
Just curious, are you playing it on PC or console?

I am debating on buying it for full price or trying it out with the introductory one month trial of Microsofts game pass on PC.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm really liking Division 2 as a post-apocalyptic, open-world, MMO. It's everything I wanted FO76 to be (other than not being set in the Fallout universe of course).

Being set in D.C., it actually brings similar immersion that FO3 did. The interiors of buildings are richly detailed--walk through any of the museums and you can actually learn stuff.

The graphics are fantastic, the bugs are minimal, the story is adequate (not as good as FO), and content is being updated from time to time. Gunplay is good, as is customization. There is decent end-game gameplay via raids, replaying scenarios, ongoing battles for territory, occasional new content, and of course the staple of any MMO--grinding loot to make optimized, specific builds.

There are plenty of human NPCs to interact with. ;)

The game does have microtransactions, but they are for cosmetics only. I feel that this is the microtransaction model "done right". (A) It provides ongoing revenue for the developer, and (B) those of us who don't partake in it don't get left behind, because it's not "pay-to-win".

The-Division-2-14-920x518.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Painter2002

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That’s what I was planning on getting it for, I have a hard time playing on PS4 anymore because I am spoiled with the better graphics and frame rates on PC. Lol.
Its a great game, but at times, the information being displayed on my TV is a mite small, I struggle to read it, from my recliner. I think visually and interaction wise the PC would be better. If there's a black friday sale on this, I may get the PC version

Reactions: Painter2002

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Back on topic, the criticism for Fallout First is reaching epic heights, yet it seems popular. I can't recall where I saw some reports but I came across a blurb where Bethesda was quite happy with the activations, in fact it exceeded their expectations.

My point is that there is a very toxic Fallout 76 culture online, but there seems to be a very dedicated core fan base, and they're willing to pay. I was debating whether I wanted to uninstall the game, or fire it up and see how things are - but so far I'm happy with Outer Worlds.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like Bethesda has a MAJOR vulnerability to plug - at least on the PC side of things

This hack allows you to steal a player's entire inventory without even talking/trading. All that needs to happen is that the other person sees you and then invoke this hack and poof everything you're carrying is gone.

It looks like Bethesda has (or will shortly) plug this hole, but based on the video a large amount of players lost everything. This only affects PC players not console, but since this thread was fairly active I posted here.

Reactions: jagooch

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've returned to the fold, albeit on a PC. I wanted to provide an update to my playing usage in this thread even though its console based but it's where I've had most of my interactions with FO76.

This past weekend Steam had a play for free weekend and double XP for FO76, and since its on a different platform, I had to start over. Normally this is a deal breaker. I got up to level 40-something on my PS4 game, but since I've been away from the game for probably over a year, I largely forgot about the details about to best to play. Hence starting over isn't a horrible idea.

I jumped in, and low and behold, I was enjoying myself - I opted early on embrace the subscription (please don't hate me), and in many ways it definitely helped, first off I really like the private servers. I've found at times doing quests with a full server that I trip over someone else doing the same exact quest. Secondly, there's a lack of scrap, i.e., ballistic fiber for armor repairs/mods. On a private server, I just need to shoot over to army base and grab some. Same with fusion cores - you can't "farm" them, i.e., leave the server jump back in. You still need to wait a while before they respawn but its good to know.

Gameplay has been enhanced with the human NPCs and this has always been my biggest criticism, even though I've not started the wastelanders questline and I'm still doing the original questline, there are human NPCs in and around the land. Some you can interact on some level, though without starting the wasterlanders questline you have some interactiveness.

You need to finish ounce of prevention before getting the full questline, i.e., create a vaccine for the scorch disease. People start returning in a sense, I saw a raider faction near the southeast portion of the map, where I was going to try to get an excavator power armor (but I was too low of a level to take on that quest, and I was getting there I saw on to the factions from the DLC.

Overall the game isn't perfect, but I do think with the additions that Bethesda added, does warrant a second look, and while I abhor the move to a subscription basis, Fallout First added a number of things that I really like, including the New Vegas Ranger outfit. Plus the tent (a mini-C.A.M.P) that doesn't cost anything to move has become invaluable. I place that in the middle of a map location, so if I die or need to return, its in the middle, saving me caps, plus it allows me to offload my junk and what not.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
I've returned to the fold, albeit on a PC. I wanted to provide an update to my playing usage in this thread even though its console based but it's where I've had most of my interactions with FO76.

This past weekend Steam had a play for free weekend and double XP for FO76, and since its on a different platform, I had to start over. Normally this is a deal breaker. I got up to level 40-something on my PS4 game, but since I've been away from the game for probably over a year, I largely forgot about the details about to best to play. Hence starting over isn't a horrible idea.

I jumped in, and low and behold, I was enjoying myself - I opted early on embrace the subscription (please don't hate me), and in many ways it definitely helped, first off I really like the private servers. I've found at times doing quests with a full server that I trip over someone else doing the same exact quest. Secondly, there's a lack of scrap, i.e., ballistic fiber for armor repairs/mods. On a private server, I just need to shoot over to army base and grab some. Same with fusion cores - you can't "farm" them, i.e., leave the server jump back in. You still need to wait a while before they respawn but its good to know.

Gameplay has been enhanced with the human NPCs and this has always been my biggest criticism, even though I've not started the wastelanders questline and I'm still doing the original questline, there are human NPCs in and around the land. Some you can interact on some level, though without starting the wasterlanders questline you have some interactiveness.

You need to finish ounce of prevention before getting the full questline, i.e., create a vaccine for the scorch disease. People start returning in a sense, I saw a raider faction near the southeast portion of the map, where I was going to try to get an excavator power armor (but I was too low of a level to take on that quest, and I was getting there I saw on to the factions from the DLC.

Overall the game isn't perfect, but I do think with the additions that Bethesda added, does warrant a second look, and while I abhor the move to a subscription basis, Fallout First added a number of things that I really like, including the New Vegas Ranger outfit. Plus the tent (a mini-C.A.M.P) that doesn't cost anything to move has become invaluable. I place that in the middle of a map location, so if I die or need to return, its in the middle, saving me caps, plus it allows me to offload my junk and what not.

My wife recently went back to it, too. She's finally enjoying herself with it and it's a much better game than it was upon release and for many months after.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My wife recently went back to it, too. She's finally enjoying herself with it and it's a much better game than it was upon release and for many months after.
I've been doing the main questline (which is what I grew tired of in the first place), but I'm about ready to to shift gears to the DLC.

I wanted to do the Raider's series of quests just to get the black diamond legendary weapon.

I also took the plunge in signing up for Fallout First, shocking I know :O

I hate subscriptions, but it had a couple of things that made it worthwhile for me.
First private servers, I've been bouncing between the private and public servers during my game play. Private servers are great when you want to be alone, and just farm stuff, i.e., find an unused power armor or look for fusion cores. Plus doing the early quests, I was tripping over others doing the same ones. Public servers have an advantage of others clearing out stuff so you don't have to fight all of the creatures and more importantly, vendors :)

I also really wanted the New Vegas Ranger outfit and the monthly atom allotment is a plus

Given that I'll be in some form of quarantine for the foreseeable future - I'll be working from home for the rest of the summer at the very least. Having some diversions like FO76 makes life a lot easier.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just a quick update, I'm still playing with this, I made it level 60 and I finally got past the quest that stopped me from playing the main questline way back in 2019. That quest is the Brotherhood of Steel's main questline and at the time I didn't know it was their final quest - The Belly of the Beast. You need to travel to Watoga and resync a number of radio transmitters strewn about and then face a scorchbeast.

Back when I attempted this, I was just a level 30 and my weapon was too underpowered (I forget but I think just a hunting rifle). I found myself unable to fight the Super Mutants in the area, the protectron's in the city were difficult and the assaulttrons were impossible for me. I stopped playing that quest at the beginning of the resync transmitters never mind the scorchbeast

Fast forward to 2020, and I now have a better sense of how to level my character, I have excavator power armor, sniper rifle, lever-action rifle and a plasma gatling gun (I had none of that during my first play in 2018/2019). I have my perk cards set to enhance those weapons.

Not only did I finish that quest, but I've been able to partake in the Scorched Earth event, the final event to take on the scorchbeast queen.

I'm still working my way through the wastelander's quests, both side and main, and just enjoying the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.