Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
When I got my iPhone 11 Pro Max I was underwhelmed by the battery life… it wasn't much better than my 3 year old iPhone 7+. But I recently turned on "low data mode" for my cellular and Wi-Fi connections, and now it's more in line with what I expected from a new phone.

Reactions: Boyyai

mtcislak

macrumors regular
May 30, 2019
Did you restore from a backup or set up as new? This seems odd. Maybe a defective unit. I came from a xs max that needed to be charged around 5 pm everyday. My 11 pro max will make it to bedtime with anywhere from 60-70 percent. I’ve yet to kill this phone or even begin to worry about battery life.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Unless you hit the defective lottery with your new Pro Max there’s no way it’s lasting less than your 7+. I’ll bet that it’s gonna last way longer than your 7+ even with pretty much every feature enabled.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Your 11 Pro Max should easily bury your 7+ in battery life. I’d do a restore using iTunes and setup as new without using your backup.. If that doesn’t work, take the phone back to Apple to get checked out or replaced

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Much like others, I’m surprised to hear about the battery life you’re experiencing. I’ve been amazed by the battery of my 11PM, even compared to my old Plus iPhones and a 3 month old iPhone X (AppleCare replacement). The 11PM is the first iPhone which has ever got me through a day with quite a lot of use. Though only after I set it up as new, when I restored from a backup it was giving me gyp, but not anymore.

It’s been quite liberating not having to continually top-up my phone, or having to carry around a battery pack for a change.

Maybe try restoring and setting up as new, if that doesn’t improve matters, I’d definitely have words with AppleCare, you should be seeing some improvement.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.12.27 PM.png

Sounds like a pain. I would try to determine what is actually effecting your battery and fix that.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
I set it up as new when I bought it, then did a factory wipe and set up as new to try to fix an issue with my Watch. I deleted Glimpse, but it didn’t help. None of my apps seem to be using a lot of battery. I turned on low battery mode to save my cellular data, so the improved battery life is just icing on the cake. I’ll keep my eye on the apps to see if one of them is the culprit.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Could you maybe post a screenshot of your usage over a few hours with and without Low Power Mode?

People have complaints about many other aspects of the 11 series iPhones but battery life is the one thing everyone seem to agree about.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
When I got my iPhone 11 Pro Max I was underwhelmed by the battery life… it wasn't much better than my 3 year old iPhone 7+. But I recently turned on "low data mode" for my cellular and Wi-Fi connections, and now it's more in line with what I expected from a new phone.
What? You clearly had a defective phone...pro max battery life is in sane

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Could you maybe post a screenshot of your usage over a few hours with and without Low Power Mode?

People have complaints about many other aspects of the 11 series iPhones but battery life is the one thing everyone seem to agree about.
I'll try to do it by tomorrow afternoon. I hadn't really looked it as as a problem until now.

Reactions: CoronaOnTap

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
I had an atypical week, so I kept using low data mode to be on the safe side. I took it off today, and it looks fine; 4.5 hours on and still at 98%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.