Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I'm bummed, looks like Beweather isn't sold in the US anymore. App has been acting funky lately, not respecting theme choice and sometimes not updating. Today it is stuck on 4 days ago and will not update it. iTunes says it's not available in my country anymore.

Anyway, is there a good weather app that has hour by hour precipitation AND has a decent widget. Beweather had absolutely the most awesome widget where you could pretty much see everything at a glance.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm bummed, looks like Beweather isn't sold in the US anymore. App has been acting funky lately, not respecting theme choice and sometimes not updating. Today it is stuck on 4 days ago and will not update it. iTunes says it's not available in my country anymore.

Anyway, is there a good weather app that has hour by hour precipitation AND has a decent widget. Beweather had absolutely the most awesome widget where you could pretty much see everything at a glance.
It was there just a couple of days ago. I wonder if it got pulled because of some issues with the latest version (version 3 that was recently released) which was quite buggy. The fact that it actually stopped working completely is probably related to it getting pulled.

Maybe it will come back once the issues are addressed? Unless there was some announcement that it's actually been removed for other reasons?

---

I've mainly used it for the widget as well (and the data from Weather Underground that it was using, as that was essentially quite accurate for where I am) -- I had a good overview of the current conditions as well as those over the next few hours and even the next couple of days all in one place The widget was able to provide only temperatures and conditions, but also wind speed, and even more importantly chances of precipitation as well as potential amounts of it, which pretty much no other widget does.

With the recent release of version 3 things broke rather badly on various fronts, and especially with the widget in the sense of getting and showing updates and the correct information. The change to Dark Sky data also hasn't been helpful as it's not that accurate for where I am at least.

For now I've switched over to using Weather Underground directly and their widget(s). I like the app overall, but it's certainly bulkier compared to BeWeather and the widget isn't all that customizable and doesn't allow for some things that I really want, like precipitation amounts as well as being able to quickly see a basic forecast for the next couple of days.

Last edited:

iRaynor SK

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic
35d845b8779c54abe954ae7243e3d190.jpg

Weather Mate Pro widget :)

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
It was there just a couple of days ago. I wonder if it got pulled because of some issues with the latest version (version 3 that was recently released) which was quite buggy. The fact that it actually stopped working completely is probably related to it getting pulled.

Maybe it will come back once the issues are addressed? Unless there was some announcement that it's actually been removed for other reasons?

---

I've mainly used it for the widget as well (and the data from Weather Underground that it was using, as that was essentially quite accurate for where I am) -- I had a good overview of the current conditions as well as those over the next few hours and even the next couple of days all in one place The widget was able to provide only temperatures and conditions, but also wind speed, and even more importantly chances of precipitation as well as potential amounts of it, which pretty much no other widget does.

With the recent release of version 3 things broke rather badly on various fronts, and especially with the widget in the sense of getting and showing updates and the correct information. The change to Dark Sky data also hasn't been helpful as it's not that accurate for where I am at least.

For now I've switched over to using Weather Underground directly and their widget(s). I like the app overall, but it's certainly bulkier compared to BeWeather and the widget isn't all that customizable and doesn't allow for some things that I really want, like precipitation amounts as well as being able to quickly see a basic forecast for the next couple of days.

Thanks, wasn't aware they were having issues. I emailed support, but don't have much hope, their last blog on their website was from 2015. I purchased Dark Sky and was pleasantly surprised they have a dark theme, but their widget isn't as good as Beweather's.
[doublepost=1551476789][/doublepost]
35d845b8779c54abe954ae7243e3d190.jpg

Holy crap that's awesome, will have to give it a try!

Buckeye2009

macrumors member
May 10, 2017
Columbus, OH
Apparently BeWeather is now in a beta stage. I was using and noticed it hadn't update any of my weather info for a couple of days and tried deleting it and then couldn't find it in the app store. I found out on another forum that it is currently BeWeather pro 3 but only available as a beta and supposedly will be back in the app store soon.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Apparently BeWeather is now in a beta stage. I was using and noticed it hadn't update any of my weather info for a couple of days and tried deleting it and then couldn't find it in the app store. I found out on another forum that it is currently BeWeather pro 3 but only available as a beta and supposedly will be back in the app store soon.

It's odd that the developer didn't keep it in the App Store and indicated it in the description that there are issues since the move to BeWeather 3 due to changes in weather source. I had the BeWeather 3 updates and then suddenly poof out of the blue the developer decided to remove the App from the App Store and it stopped getting data in the app although it was already switched from Weather Underground to Dark Sky as weather source. I'm now using the beta since I read the iMore discussion topic and found the beta link.

I simply can't understand the developer not to respond to any e-mails nor indicate on his website or twitter account anything. The Twitter account hasn't been used in ages.

I really love the app and especially the widget from Partly Sunny which is quite a nice alternative for the most part so I'm currently using both widgets and compare them. They both use Dark Sky as source though. Another widget alternative is widgetweather although the app isn't as nice as BeWeather is.
[doublepost=1552321015][/doublepost]

That are a lot of details but a bit off overload for me compared to BeWeather 3 Pro or Partly Sunny which show the hour by hour details as far as rain percentage/mm are concerned and for the upcoming days + minute by minute rain (where available). I mostly want to see if it will rain or be sunny ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's odd that the developer didn't keep it in the App Store and indicated it in the description that there are issues since the move to BeWeather 3 due to changes in weather source. I had the BeWeather 3 updates and then suddenly poof out of the blue the developer decided to remove the App from the App Store and it stopped getting data in the app although it was already switched from Weather Underground to Dark Sky as weather source. I'm now using the beta since I read the iMore discussion topic and found the beta link.

I simply can't understand the developer not to respond to any e-mails nor indicate on his website or twitter account anything. The Twitter account hasn't been used in ages.
This is probably the strangest and worst part of it all. If there are issues there should be some communication about them, not just dumping everything and hiding basically, especially when there are paid users involved.

Should have probably reverted back to version 2 for now or something of that sort rather than just basically making a run for it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

BeWeather has a long history of that kind of thing. It started back in its BlackBerry days ... was the go to weather app... then it dried up. Later, it appeared as a pretty awesome app In the iOS world... the developer was quite involved and interacted regularly with users over at the iMore forums until he disappeared ... and now since then, it’s pretty much been hit and miss again with the Apple platform. I suspect it will be back, but can’t say for sure.

Using Dark Sky now.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
BeWeather has a long history of that kind of thing. It started back in its BlackBerry days ... was the go to weather app... then it dried up. Later, it appeared as a pretty awesome app In the iOS world... the developer was quite involved and interacted regularly with users over at the iMore forums until he disappeared ... and now since then, it’s pretty much been hit and miss again with the Apple platform. I suspect it will be back, but can’t say for sure.

Using Dark Sky now.

Very weird, I see it's still not on the app store so I'm assuming this is permanent. I purchased dark skies, not as nice as beweather but still serviceable.
[doublepost=1552591708][/doublepost]

If anyone wants to join the Beweather beta test, here’s the link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/LwdwAHlR

OK that's so weird, I was able to install it as a beta. Why in the world would they just pull the app from the store and NOT notify any users? It's a really good way to push your users to another app. It's just really odd. Let me guess, when version 3 gets publicly released I will have to pay for it again?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
OK that's so weird, I was able to install it as a beta. Why in the world would they just pull the app from the store and NOT notify any users? It's a really good way to push your users to another app. It's just really odd. Let me guess, when version 3 gets publicly released I will have to pay for it again?

As I said, this ain't their first rodeo. In the iOS/iMore days, the developer was very active with the users there, and many of us were on the TestFlight testing groove... I don't recall if they actually pulled the released version at that time, but the TestFlight thread was the place to be... and now, here we are. It's just bizarre to me how cyclic this app has been... hopefully, it will be resurrected to its former glory (and beyond)...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As I said, this ain't their first rodeo. In the iOS/iMore days, the developer was very active with the users there, and many of us were on the TestFlight testing groove... I don't recall if they actually pulled the released version at that time, but the TestFlight thread was the place to be... and now, here we are. It's just bizarre to me how cyclic this app has been... hopefully, it will be resurrected to its former glory (and beyond)...
I'd say it's pretty bizarre that that's how they seem to operate and seem to think this is a reasonable/acceptable approach to it all time and time again apparently.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Well the beta is functioning perfectly so far. I really like their widget that has dark mode and the custom weather icons over dark sky. Although in the beta it doesn't have any custom icons available, is that just me? Also is it just me or does this seem pretty identical to version 2 so far?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well the beta is functioning perfectly so far. I really like their widget that has dark mode and the custom weather icons over dark sky. Although in the beta it doesn't have any custom icons available, is that just me? Also is it just me or does this seem pretty identical to version 2 so far?
Well the data source is fairly different, which seems to be the main reason for the brand new version. It also seems various backend and under the hood functions have been redone for one reason or another, even if on the surface things visibly seem to be the same.

Given that version 2 is not working and the early version 3 that many have updated to is also fairly broken, would be nice if it actually came back to the App Store to update to something that at least mostly works, even if it's not perfect or even all that great (given that as useful as BeWeather has been it was pretty much always a ways off from being even close to bug free and fully stable).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Well the data source is fairly different, which seems to be the main reason for the brand new version. It also seems various backend and under the hood functions have been redone for one reason or another, even if on the surface things visibly seem to be the same.

Given that version 2 is not working and the early version 3 that many have updated to is also fairly broken, would be nice if it actually came back to the App Store to update to something that at least mostly works, even if it's not perfect or even all that great (given that as useful as BeWeather has been it was pretty much always a ways off from being even close to bug free and fully stable).

Thanks, great information. It seems to be working fine for me, but I haven't pushed it too hard. Now I only wish they would come back to Android so I could get it on my 3 XL as well.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've noticed now with the change from Weather Underground to Dark Sky it is far less accurate for my location in the Netherlands. This morning there was quite some rain but BeWeather 3 (and Partly Sunny) which both have Dark Sky as a source indicated that there wasn't any. Previously with Weather Underground it was much more accurate for my location. I hope one day both apps will have they option to select the weather source like widgetweather does to choose either openweathermap.org or met.no

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looks like after some weeks BeWether finally came back, but only as a Pro version that is new/different from easier ones and is now $3.99. The data is from Dark Sky now, just like in the earlier version 3 that got pulled.

Too bad about Dark Sky being the (only) source now, and there no longer being a free version (and the paid one being more expensive).

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Looks like after some weeks BeWether finally came back, but only as a Pro version that is new/different from easier ones and is now $3.99. The data is from Dark Sky now, just like in the earlier version 3 that got pulled.

Too bad about Dark Sky being the (only) source now, and there no longer being a free version (and the paid one being more expensive).
If you used their previous pro version, it may be worth contacting them from their webpage. After I contacted BeWeather, they gave me an App Store code to upgrade to version 3.

Reactions: C DM

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
During the first couple of days when BeWeather 3 was launched it was only 0.99 dollar. I bought it again but as said before the Dark Sky weather source is less reliable for my area.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've noticed now with the change from Weather Underground to Dark Sky it is far less accurate for my location in the Netherlands. This morning there was quite some rain but BeWeather 3 (and Partly Sunny) and Weather Nerd which all have Dark Sky as a source indicated that there wasn't any. Previously with Weather Underground it was much more accurate for my location. I hope one day both apps will have they option to select the weather source like widgetweather does to choose either openweathermap.org or met.no

Although I really like the UI and widgets of both BeWeather 3 and Partly Sunny, however ever since the source is Dark Sky it is so far off in my country (the Netherlands) that I decided to look for better alternatives as far as weather sources go and still offer a nice widget since I like to quickly glance at weather widgets rather then go in an app. I still hope that both apps will still offer other weather sources, however until that time I have:

- CARROT Weather - 4.99 dollar / 5.49 euro (once) only source is Dark Sky, however if you pay an optional 4.99 dollar / euro p/year subscription Tier 1 (automatic renewal) then you get 6 weather sources: AccuWeather, Aeris Weather, MeteoGroup, ClimaCell, Foreca and Dark Sky.

- Hello Weather - free, offer 6.99 year subscription (automatic renewal) for 4 soon 3 weather sources: Accuweather, AerisWeather, Dark Sky and The Weather Company, however as said this last one probably has to be removed soon due to closed API). The widget lacks however to show also upcoming days, currently it only shows upcoming hours and current hour. I would also prefer to see the current hour next to the upcoming hours as well to save space. The developers are quite active though so possibly in a future release.

- Today Weather - Forecast - free, with 4, soon 3 weather sources (Accuweather, YR.no, Dark Sky and Weather Company Data, however this last one has to be removed soon due to API closure as said earlier) and optional 3.99 dollar once or 1.49 per year or 0.99 dollar per month, you can pay subscription per month/year to remove ads and weather radar. The widget unfortunately lacks weather forecast for upcoming days and mm of rain besides the percentage for upcoming hours/days.

- Forecast Bar - free, and 2.99 dollar p/year for subscription (not auto-renewed) 2 soon 1 weather source: Dark Sky, The Weather Company, however this last one has to be removed soon due to API closure as said earlier.

- widgetweather - 0.99 dollar (once) has two weather sources: Openweathermap.org and met.no. Not my favorite widget due to fact it combines upcoming hours instead of see it per hour it does however also show the upcoming days so that is handy. The weather sources seem to be a bit less accurate for my region so therefore rather go with one of the other three above.
The app and widget has a lot of options to change iconset and such (as BeWeather had/has).

- eWeather HD - 3.99 dollar (once) has two weather sources: Intellicast (US), Foreca (Europe)

On a sidenote the apps of both The Weather Company (free with ads, 3.99 dollar p/year to remove ads) and Weather Underground (free with ads, 1.99 p/year to remove ads) are also still available. Not my favorite widgets but it does show quite some info as far as rain forecast for upcoming hours is concerned. However again lacks upcoming days in the widget. Similar situation with AccuWeather (free with ads, 3.99 dolloar once to remove).

None of those apps have a widget as good as BeWeather 3 or Partly Sunny though so for now keeping them all and asked from developers to add some features here and there and hope they will implement these in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I've noticed now with the change from Weather Underground to Dark Sky it is far less accurate for my location in the Netherlands. This morning there was quite some rain but BeWeather 3 (and Partly Sunny) which both have Dark Sky as a source indicated that there wasn't any. Previously with Weather Underground it was much more accurate for my location. I hope one day both apps will have they option to select the weather source like widgetweather does to choose either openweathermap.org or met.no
IBM bought WeatherUnderground, and consequently pulled all 3rd party API support, so now, no other weather apps (E.g. Hello Weather, BeWeather, etc.) can use it as their source.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.