Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hmm, the Tesla Cybertruck will have a 17’’ touchscreen. Even the Model 3 has a 15’’ tablet touch screen.

Come on Apple, give us an 15’’ iPad Pro, yes?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Can’t they use the Tesla Cybertruck steel? ?
It's stainless steel. They could use that for an iPad but it'd be heavier than a corresponding aluminum model.

Steel is stronger than aluminum, but aluminum is much lighter, so you can make aluminum stuff much thicker and thus stronger than with steel while still being lighter.

IOW, at the same thickness steel is stronger than aluminum, but at same weight aluminum is stronger than steel. My understanding is roughly speaking, you can make something out of aluminum that is about the same strength as steel weighing 50% more, meaning you can save about 1/3rd the weight by using aluminum. The main drawback with an aluminum design is it won't be as slim as the steel design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cape Dave

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
It is unlikely at present, but further integration of the pro with Macs for art and control surfaces
might bring this about someday. "side car" not quite working at this time

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Yes please. 15- inch in brushed titanium for durability. Oops too expensive, but very beautiful.

I do wonder if a future iMac runs iPadOS. For desktop use, I could use 21 inch iPad. One of the limiting factor is likely the graphics of the A-chips. Another is closed mind of some influential "professionals" who has little to no understanding of what the iPad do for other professions.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
I would think Apple has to release a larger iPad / iPad Pro as time goes on. Laptops are on the way out, apple isn’t going to just lose all that revenue + they are currently doing a great job stimulating the move from laptops >>>>iPads (the trend isn’t going to stop anytime soon).

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Whatever size screen fits in the gen 1, gen 2 iPad Pro would be perfect (with smaller gen 3 bezels). I would buy that in an instant.

I’m curious, what would the physical footprint be for an iPad Pro with a 15” screen?

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
What are you going to do with it? Hit someone in the head?

I have a 1st gen 12.9 and it's bigger than my 13 inch MBP.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
A 15" iPad? What would you do with it? Put in on a desk and add a keyboard and mouse? Isn't that basically a MacBook? Given the price at which a 15" iPad would sell, it seems to me that you'd be better off just buying a MacBook Air. Would a 15" iPad weigh more than the current base model MBA?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Hmm, the Tesla Cybertruck will have a 17’’ touchscreen. Even the Model 3 has a 15’’ tablet touch screen.

Come on Apple, give us an 15’’ iPad Pro, yes?
I think car manufacturers should make these Built in Touch screens an Option I’d much rather snap in my 11” iPad Pro or iPad Mini and remove it when needed. Reminds me of the old days and my removable Detachable Sony car CD player. Where I would pop off the radio display and take it with me.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think car manufacturers should make these Built in Touch screens an Option I’d much rather snap in my 11” iPad Pro or iPad Mini and remove it when needed. Reminds me of the old days and my removable Detachable Sony car CD player. Where I would pop off the radio display and take it with me.
Wouldn't it be nice if car manufacturers developed a standard mounting system for smartphones and tablets and you can just buy an adapter for your specific device?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Wouldn't it be nice if car manufacturers developed a standard mounting system for smartphones and tablets and you can just buy an adapter for your specific device?

standards.png

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Still waiting for my 12.9 to arrive (this Friday, I’m excited!) and by what I’ve read here and seen on YouTube, I couldn’t imagine anything larger.

A move to OLED as a illustration slate would be awesome though!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Too big to use as a tablet without a keyboard
Pretty much this. Much bigger than the 12.9 would really start limiting it as a hand held tablet. A big canvass for digital artists' use might be appealing, but beyond that, it would be a poor choice over an existing tablet size option or a full sized traditional notebook.
[automerge]1574714453[/automerge]
What if your 1st gen 12.9 kept the same weight/ size but had a 14” screen? Seems like a win to me.
I could see the 12.9" growing vertically slightly to match the taller (or wider in landscape) aspect ratio introduced with the 11", but that would probably end up being closer to 13.3" than 14".

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

I guess you have a cellular-equipped iPad. Mine isn't, so either I'd have to pay for a car system that includes a cellular radio and navigation (another monthly service plan), or plug in both my iPhone for Car Play/navigation, etc., plus my iPad in order to have a large screen.

I'm sure it would be a non-starter with carmakers. First off, they build a long list of features into the touchscreen interface that the tablet makers might not support - ventilation control, satellite radio, AM/FM radio, anti-theft, Bluetooth phone support (non-Car Play/non-Android Auto), proprietary navigation systems... (are there new cars that still support CD players?). Compared to building physical instrument panels with an ever-increasing number of buttons and knobs, touchscreens actually save them money.

That's where Apple Car Play and Google Android Phone come in. Those are standardized interfaces between smartphone and car systems that work far, far better than the previous Bluetooth systems, which are phone-specific. It's cheaper and more efficient to support a much shorter list of standardized interfaces.

Further, "touchscreen-optional" requires carmakers to produce versions of each model with touchscreen and without touchscreen, because not everyone has a whopping big tablet to plug into their car. The point of big touchscreen interfaces is that the driver doesn't have to squint to see a tiny little smartphone map or music player interface. Then, as with all option packs (is that an abbreviation of "package" or does it describe the practice of over-packing a car with non-optional options)... individual dealers would then decide whether they want to stock both versions, or only one of the two version. For example, my local Honda dealer, which serves a fairly upscale community, stocks only versions with sun roof and satellite radio. And what are the chances that customers would be sufficiently grateful to the automaker/dealer for offering them the option of saving a few hundred dollars? Car salesmen prefer to tell you that an item like a touchscreen display affects the monthly payment by just a dollar or two, "So don't worry about it."

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Pretty much this. Much bigger than the 12.9 would really start limiting it as a hand held tablet. A big canvass for digital artists' use might be appealing, but beyond that, it would be a poor choice over an existing tablet size option or a full sized traditional notebook.
[automerge]1574714453[/automerge]

I could see the 12.9" growing vertically slightly to match the taller (or wider in landscape) aspect ratio introduced with the 11", but that would probably end up being closer to 13.3" than 14".
Who said anything about a handheld device? We want a desktop device and not in laptop mode but in pencil mode. In pencil mode you preferably use the iPad at a low angle in portrait or landscape mode - no keyboard. I laptop is unsuitable for annotating reports, manuals, scientific articles. Other "pencil mode" work is planning processes, brain storing, teaching and learning. This is work done in the presence of others. Hiding behind a laptop screen is so last year as it prevents communication.

Reactions: Precursor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.