Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
The same people who own a 13'' MacBook Pro are asking people why they want a 17'' (or 16'') MBP.

Everyone has their preferences. I'd love to have a bigger iPad Pro because you have more screen estate for videos, web, design and photo work. Just as on laptops.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
17" is way too small, I'm thinking 32".

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-27 om 10.04.35.png

I think it will become too cumbersome to use at some point, 12.9" was big enough for me and that was already hard to use without a case that puts it at an angle. Maybe if it retained the weight of a smaller iPad, but I don't see that happening this year (bigger screen, bigger and heavier battery).

Reactions: Falhófnir

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
As design apps get better, I think a 24/32" for artists as an option to Wacoms would be pretty cool. While not exactly portable, it would still be much easier to move your workspace around if needed and not be tethered to a computer. Pair it with a solid arm to position it at any angle (at the cost of double the XDR monitor stand PepeLaugh).

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
All I'd want is 15'' or 14''. A Surface Studio like iPad Pro beyond 17'' why not too for some people, I guess.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Personally, I already find the 12.9" to be heavy and unwieldy. I can see the appeal, of course, but at some point a tablet will start leaving the realms of personal convenience and become a burden. If they can engineer a robust 15" form that doesn't bend under its own weight, then the choice would be great for those who want it. Not for me, though. 11" is my sweet-spot for size vs. portability.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I think the divide here is those who think and use iPad is a big iPhone while other see it a device enabling unique interactions. Depending on what you do, when you start produce on iPad with touch or pencil centric interactions, the major issue in the long run is screen size. Just like computers scale from 13 inch to soon 32 inch and used in different settings, so could iPads.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Personally, I already find the 12.9" to be heavy and unwieldy. I can see the appeal, of course, but at some point a tablet will start leaving the realms of personal convenience and become a burden. If they can engineer a robust 15" form that doesn't bend under its own weight, then the choice would be great for those who want it. Not for me, though. 11" is my sweet-spot for size vs. portability.
The problem I have is that to limit too many SKUs a larger model in the 14-15" range would be more likely to replace the 13" model which is my preferred one. I find it's at the comfortable limit for 'iPad' use as opposed to being a desk bound drawing tablet.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I can see it coming eventually in the future. I think it could definitely have some awesome uses for certain workflows. For example, I’m sure artists would love it. Being able to interact with things with my fingertips also just feels so much more interactive and engaging to me than an a trackpad and keyboard, so I could definitely see the appeal for a larger canvas to interact and work with.

Reactions: Ungibbed

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
The same people who own a 13'' MacBook Pro are asking people why they want a 17'' (or 16'') MBP.

Everyone has their preferences. I'd love to have a bigger iPad Pro because you have more screen estate for videos, web, design and photo work. Just as on laptops.

What’s weird is that I have a 13” MBP and yet my 12.9 iPP feels “bigger” while using it.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
The problem I have is that to limit too many SKUs a larger model in the 14-15" range would be more likely to replace the 13" model which is my preferred one. I find it's at the comfortable limit for 'iPad' use as opposed to being a desk bound drawing tablet.
You have a point. However, Apple sells 10 million iPads per quarter and 5 million Macs. The number of SKU (I guess SKU= versions) of Mac exceeds the iPads already. Including BTO options, Macs is much more complex product range han iPads.

I think the issue is the idea of a desktop class iPad not primarily though of as a device for the sofa or the coffeeshop. I believe that reluctance with the idea exist within Apple as well as in the very vocal "Pro" community that has large difficulties to imagine work flows and settings outside their own little bubble.

That being said, they should cleanup their iPad range. "iPad Pro" (11, 13, 15) using latest "X" processor and "iPad" (8, 10.5 using last generation "X" processor) is sufficient. BTO on storage (both lines) and RAM (for the pro-models). Stop using 2-3 years old processors on new devices to save a few dollars. Refresh annually and as predicable as the iPhone. Currently Apple gives the signal that the iPad is and afterthought, a feeling that has plagued the Mac community of a long time. Not good for business in the long run.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That being said, they should cleanup their iPad range. "iPad Pro" (11, 13, 15) using latest "X" processor and "iPad" (8, 10.5 using last generation "X" processor) is sufficient. BTO on storage (both lines) and RAM (for the pro-models). Stop using 2-3 years old processors on new devices to save a few dollars. Refresh annually and as predicable as the iPhone.
If using perfectly capable 2-3 year old processors means I can buy $329 (now just $249) iPads, I’m happy that it’s an option. The 6th and 7th gen iPads are probably still faster than most PCs currently in use for web browsing, Facebook, etc.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
That’s a huge tablet. My 3rd gen 12.9 is almost too big. The 11 just seemed so small.

don’t think it will ever happen. No market for it.
[automerge]1575203663[/automerge]
11” just seemed so small in side by side comparison. Kinda wish I went with the 11”

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Wether or not the 12.9 would be replaced is guesswork at this stage. I’ll start to worry about that when it happens.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
You have a point. However, Apple sells 10 million iPads per quarter and 5 million Macs. The number of SKU (I guess SKU= versions) of Mac exceeds the iPads already. Including BTO options, Macs is much more complex product range han iPads.

I think the issue is the idea of a desktop class iPad not primarily though of as a device for the sofa or the coffeeshop. I believe that reluctance with the idea exist within Apple as well as in the very vocal "Pro" community that has large difficulties to imagine work flows and settings outside their own little bubble.

That being said, they should cleanup their iPad range. "iPad Pro" (11, 13, 15) using latest "X" processor and "iPad" (8, 10.5 using last generation "X" processor) is sufficient. BTO on storage (both lines) and RAM (for the pro-models). Stop using 2-3 years old processors on new devices to save a few dollars. Refresh annually and as predicable as the iPhone. Currently Apple gives the signal that the iPad is and afterthought, a feeling that has plagued the Mac community of a long time. Not good for business in the long run.
I feel like maybe such a device would ultimately be better off not being an iPad, but maybe a touch-based (pen centric?) Mac device? At that size touch targets being too small is lessened, and it could even run a touch-optimised version of full MacOS on ARM or something. iPad OS is designed in such a way to be better for basic consumption and office productivity, on a reasonably small device held in the hand. This could be a separate class of device that's made more to be a desk-based solution (built in kickstand like the surface Pro?).

Wether or not the 12.9 would be replaced is guesswork at this stage. I’ll start to worry about that when it happens.
And this whole thread isn't just baseless speculation? ? There's been zero leaks or rumours of this happening so you could say we'll cross the bridge of a bigger iPP when Phil Schiller's on stage talking about it!

Reactions: V_Man

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I feel like maybe such a device would ultimately be better off not being an iPad, but maybe a touch-based (pen centric?) Mac device? At that size touch targets being too small is lessened, and it could even run a touch-optimised version of full MacOS on ARM or something. iPad OS is designed in such a way to be better for basic consumption and office productivity, on a reasonably small device held in the hand. This could be a separate class of device that's made more to be a desk-based solution (built in kickstand like the surface Pro?).

And this whole thread isn't just baseless speculation? There's been zero leaks or rumours of this happening so you could say we'll cross the bridge of a bigger iPP when Phil Schiller's on stage talking about it!

Exactly. And you up one with yet another speculation as an effect of a non-rumoured product. I’m not going to concern myself with that and will cross the bridge when I get there.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Exactly. And you up one with yet another speculation as an effect of a non-rumoured product. I’m not going to concern myself with that and will cross the bridge when I get there.
Yet you felt the need to drop into a thread called 'Bigger iPad Pro' which is of course going to be about speculating over... a bigger iPad Pro and leave your 2¢ anyway? Well, not even leave your own 2¢, just complain at me for doing it. Lol, on your way.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yet you felt the need to drop into a thread called 'Bigger iPad Pro' which is of course going to be about speculating over... a bigger iPad Pro and leave your 2¢ anyway? Well, not even leave your own 2¢, just complain at me for doing it. Lol, on your way.

I like the idea of a bigger iPad as I stated on these boards plenty of times. You are free to leave your non-related speculation about other stuff in the thread and I’m going to feel free to comment on that too. Good day. Lol.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
more than 13" would be almost unusable for "on the go" usage ...

I disagree. Why would it be so much different than a MacBook Pro.

The iPad Pro feels almost like a laptop with the Smartfolio keyboard anyway.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I disagree. Why would it be so much different than a MacBook Pro.

The iPad Pro feels almost like a laptop with the Smartfolio keyboard anyway.
one is a notebook, the other is a tablet.
Only Tim Cook seems to be confused about the two different products.

The iPad is something you normally use on-the-go (even when at home), and you can use in "laptop mode" with a keyboard attached when needed.
The MacBook is something you normally use on a desk, that can occasionally used "on-the-go".

I have both, I know what I'm speaking about...

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apple should do something similar to the upcoming Surface Neo, a foldable tablet type device that has a hinge and folds like a book. I think the iPad Pro would be even more portable if it was foldable.

Who knows maybe they are working on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.