Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
I missed out on the Best Buy (BB) Black Friday Door-buster deal that offered $100 of of HomePod, bringing the price to a manageable $199; but for one weekend only ending 11/11. Does any one know if these will go back on sale for actual Black Friday?

The language in Macrumors Black Friday Highlights doesn't make this clear.

Attachments

• 1574027051726.png
    1574027051726.png
    793 bytes · Views: 313
Last edited:

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
I contacted BB and they said the deal will be available on Black Friday, if not sooner. Possibly as soon as this week. So I've been checking their website daily ever since. ?

Reactions: Alch3mist

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Sorry if off topic but is the HomePod a better hub than the Apple tv for homekit? If I can get one for $199 I would totally snatch one up.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I could be wrong but the Apple TV 4K has the A10X fusion core processor, where as the Homepod has the A8 processor....so from that the Apple TV has the better cpu.

Also the Apple TV can be connected to your network via Ethernet, which could make it more reliable/stable connection within the network without having to worry about WiFi issues.

Reactions: dotme

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
I could be wrong but the Apple TV 4K has the A10X fusion core processor, where as the Homepod has the A8 processor....so from that the Apple TV has the better cpu.

Also the Apple TV can be connected to your network via Ethernet, which could make it more reliable/stable connection within the network without having to worry about WiFi issues.
I'd say that it depends on the application. Acting simply as a hub, then yes, the Apple TV might have a slight advantage due to the reasons stated above. However, in day-to-day usage, one could argue that the Homepod is more practical because it's more accessible (Hey Siri) and more useful (always on, doesn't need a display, speakers, or remote).

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I'd say that it depends on the application. Acting simply as a hub, then yes, the Apple TV might have a slight advantage due to the reasons stated above. However, in day-to-day usage, one could argue that the Homepod is more practical because it's more accessible (Hey Siri) and more useful (always on, doesn't need a display, speakers, or remote).

All fair points you made there....I was making my comment based on which device would make a better home hub and only thought of the CPU and ethernet advantages for the Apple TV 4K....your comments for day to day use make the HomePod a bit easier to use.....although my Apple TV is also always on, but I have never tried to use Siri (using the remote) when the actual TV display is NOT on....will test that out shortly to see if it responds to my requests.....I reckon it will trigger the TV and my AMP to power up due to the way HDMI connected devices communicate with each other.

Edit: I just used Siri on my Apple TV using the remote control to turn lights on, off, change colours of lightstrips in several different rooms in the house and it worked correctly.....and doing this DID NOT turn on the TV display or the AMP as I thought it might have......it also means that any request you ask of Siri that needs a verbal response you will not hear anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: chino-rican

Panther61

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
MD
I have not found this on sale for Black Friday day itself on the BB ad except for earlier which we all missed. Can the earlier poster elaborate?

Panther61

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
MD
Thank you for re-assurance. UK people I hope you can catch a price break as well for the holidays.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
With that confirmed; the question becomes buy 1 or 2? The surround sound potential has got to be great.

I love having one, but I think having another one will make a huge difference with stereo pairing. I'm definitely going to buy the 2nd one, just waiting for a good deal now...

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
With that confirmed; the question becomes buy 1 or 2? The surround sound potential has got to be great.

My plan was to buy another one after getting one a couple weeks ago at $199. However, I have since bought 2 Sonos speakers from ikea for far less. A lamp speaker I got open box for 109 and a bookshelf for 99. After comparing the sound, Im going to grab a few more bookshelf speakers simply for the airplay 2 capability.

The homepod has been delegated to the kitchen and as my homekit hub. Its good but I was expecting more to be honest.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
My plan was to buy another one after getting one a couple weeks ago at $199. However, I have since bought 2 Sonos speakers from ikea for far less. A lamp speaker I got open box for 109 and a bookshelf for 99. After comparing the sound, Im going to grab a few more bookshelf speakers simply for the airplay 2 capability.

The homepod has been delegated to the kitchen and as my homekit hub. Its good but I was expecting more to be honest.

What were you expecting then? When it comes to sound, the HomePod is top of the chain. It’s unfair to compare 2 Sonos’ speakers against one HomePod, as the stereo sound makes all the difference. In my honest opinion the HomePod is one of the best Apple products released this decade, alongside the AirPods.

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
What were you expecting then? When it comes to sound, the HomePod is top of the chain. It’s unfair to compare 2 Sonos’ speakers against one HomePod, as the stereo sound makes all the difference. In my honest opinion the HomePod is one of the best Apple products released this decade, alongside the AirPods.

I dont have the Sonos as a stereo pair as they are not the same style speakers and arent in the same room. Ones in my office and the other in my bedroom.

As for what I was expecting from the homepod. Better lows, higher volume, and hoped it would fill a bigger room better. Its ok in smaller rooms but not so great in larger, open rooms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.