Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
IOS 7 has a new feature which allows to completely block a number from calling and texting me.

I am curious if they get a message which says that they have been blocked, or it just keeps on ringing when they call and no one answers?

What happens if they send a text message? Do they get a reply saying: "you have been blocked" or just nothing and silence?

How do they know that their calls, voicemails and SMS's are not being seen by the receiver?

I am currently pissed off at someone and would prefer them to know that their messages are unwanted instead of them sending me messages thinking that I am reading them.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
IOS 7 has a new feature which allows to completely block a number from calling and texting me.

I am curious if they get a message which says that they have been blocked, or it just keeps on ringing when they call and no one answers?

What happens if they send a text message? Do they get a reply saying: "you have been blocked" or just nothing and silence?

How do they know that their calls, voicemails and SMS's are not being seen by the receiver?

I am currently pissed off at someone and would prefer them to know that their messages are unwanted instead of them sending me messages thinking that I am reading them.

I blocked my house phone number to test this..

One beep and then straight to voicemail.

Also blocked my mom's iPhone and tried iMessage and it says "Delivered" even though I didn't get anything.

Reactions: Flhair1

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
So the caller has no idea that they have been blocked?

I blocked my house phone number to test this..

One beep and then straight to voicemail.

Also blocked my mom's iPhone and tried iMessage and it says "Delivered" even though I didn't get anything.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
For calls it took me straight to voicemail. For texts it went though on my end but my friend didn't get it.

Do the voicemails go through? I guess that might be carrier dependent though...

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Lousy? It does what its meant to do. If your pissed at someone text them and tell them you have blocked them.
Or would you like Apple to do your dirty work.:rolleyes:

I agree with OP. Lousy feature. If I block someone, I want them to know they are blocked. I don't need them assuming their texts have been delivered. That WILL DEFINITELY lead to problems. Here's a crude and quick example.

Boyfriend and girlfriend break up. Boyfriend blocks girlfriend. Girlfriend text boyfriend a week later to tell him she is pregnant. Boyfriend doesn't get message. Girlfriend has a delivery receipt saying he did get message. Boyfriend doesn't know he is a father. Girlfriend assumes boyfriend is a deadbeat.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I agree with OP. Lousy feature. If I block someone, I want them to know they are blocked. I don't need them assuming their texts have been delivered. That WILL DEFINITELY lead to problems. Here's a crude and quick example.

Boyfriend and girlfriend break up. Boyfriend blocks girlfriend. Girlfriend text boyfriend a week later to tell him she is pregnant. Boyfriend doesn't get message. Girlfriend has a delivery receipt saying he did get message. Boyfriend doesn't know he is a father. Girlfriend assumes boyfriend is a deadbeat.

Exactly. If I'm not getting texts, calls or voicemails then I want the other party to know this 100%
Otherwise I may as well just ignore them (but not use the block feature)

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
If you need them to know they're blocked send them a text and or email *then* block them. You could even word it like its some kind of automatic notification, like the sort you want iOS to be sending

Concerned about potentially pregnant former girlfriends? Why not wait till 9 months after you break up before blocking them..

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
So, it seems that the blocking feature just does not allow them to call you... or you can just ignore the incoming call if you never use this feature.

She will never find out that her text message to you: "honey, you are now a father" has been blocked and you have never received it.

This blocking feature should have a few more sliders allowing for different options, such as "let it ring" or "tell the caller that he/she has been blocked", etc.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I hope that doesn't happen to me.. :eek:
I wish I could block people that aren't on my contacts. I keep getting some number who keeps calling me.. I'll have to add it to my list to block.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I hope that doesn't happen to me.. :eek:
I wish I could block people that aren't on my contacts. I keep getting some number who keeps calling me.. I'll have to add it to my list to block.

If you go to the number in the recent calls list, you can block it from there.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So, it seems that the blocking feature just does not allow them to call you... or you can just ignore the incoming call if you never use this feature.

She will never find out that her text message to you: "honey, you are now a father" has been blocked and you have never received it.

This blocking feature should have a few more sliders allowing for different options, such as "let it ring" or "tell the caller that he/she has been blocked", etc.
Let it ring is not blocking it at all, so don't block it then. If you block it then it's blocked and the calls shouldn't be bothering you--that's the whole point. If you want to notify the person they are blocked, then text/email/call them and tell them they are blocked. That's really all there's to it.

tharepairguy

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011

Seems like boyfriend needs to keep track of his little guys a bit better...

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)

I forgot texting was the only form of communication left these days. No worries Im sure when your served papers for child support it will not come via text message.

Pspressart

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I forgot texting was the only form of communication left these days. No worries Im sure when your served papers for child support it will not come via text message.

I welcome blocking. I regularly get calls for a really nice local restaurant to make a reservation (one digit change in phone number), particularly from winter visitors. Being able to block their calls - especially when they call three or four times in a row - is a nice feature. I already had a contact named "rejected" with a silent ringtone, and I just add those restaurant callers to the rejected contact, and now they will be blocked.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011

This is why you should use call blocking for nuisances like telemarketers and prank callers, not for people who you don't want to speak with.

Also it behaves like this to prevent denial of service attacks. If the phone were to let the call ring for instance, it'd tie up its ability to accept calls while it did so. This would allow the caller, at no cost to himself because ringing isn't billed, to tie up your phone basically indefinitely by just repeatedly calling it. The same for a spoken message of sorts, in many cases. The best way technically to handle it is to hang up immediately. (A blocked message could originate from the network without this problem, but this is a phone feature and not a network feature.)

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I welcome blocking. I regularly get calls for a really nice local restaurant to make a reservation (one digit change in phone number), particularly from winter visitors. Being able to block their calls - especially when they call three or four times in a row - is a nice feature. I already had a contact named "rejected" with a silent ringtone, and I just add those restaurant callers to the rejected contact, and now they will be blocked.

I have no problem with blocking, if you read thru the thread OP wants people to be notified they are being blocked. I have blocked a few numbers myself.

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
I hope apple improve it and expand its ability, why can the call block not just answer without speaker and mic activation, then drop the call instantly?

Our Panasonic home phones have a superb block facility (limited number of blocked numbers though) that if you block a number, it will ring once, then change to the dead line sound. Very good.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012

Wow. Thank you for your awesome contribution to this thread. It was just an example of 1 of many many different situations where this will lead to problems.

Now please inform your wife that I have blocked her. Thanks.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Lousy? It does what its meant to do. If your pissed at someone text them and tell them you have blocked them.
Or would you like Apple to do your dirty work.:rolleyes:

I totally agree with you.

If you want them to know they're blocked then text them yourself. Otherwise it smacks of immaturity. Your example is pretty silly to me.

Reactions: l.stoney
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.